IGNORED

Up to 40% off selected jazz at Qobuz

On 5/4/2022 at 9:38 AM, Musicophile said:

Some really good stuff in there.

Yup, I agree. Bought an Elmo Hope album this evening. Thinking about buying John Coltrane, Coltrane. Have this album already on black and silver disc (and thus a rip), but the hi-res offering is pretty tempting.

8 hours ago, WAM said:

Yup, I agree. Bought an Elmo Hope album this evening. Thinking about buying John Coltrane, Coltrane. Have this album already on black and silver disc (and thus a rip), but the hi-res offering is pretty tempting.

Bought that one as well in 24/192. Very cheap at least on the French store

9 hours ago, WAM said:

51 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

Bought that one as well in 24/192. Very cheap at least on the French store

Does high res make an audible difference to you (over Redbook) with these old jazz recordings?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

13 hours ago, semente said:

Does high res make an audible difference to you (over Redbook) with these old jazz recordings?

Difficult question. You do not know which master is used. I do not think a remaster, hires or not, is always better, sometimes I prefer the "original". I still do not know what to think of the new hires remaster of The Doors/LA Woman, for example (a little bright sounding to my ears). Sometimes it sounds better, sometimes just different.

And it makes a difference if you are streaming Redbook, or spinning a disc (the disc sounds better most of the time (our cd-transport and streamer use the same dac)).

It would be nice to compare a cd, a Redbook rip from that cd and a hires file from the same recording (same master), but I am not daft enough yet to give that a try (a matter of time, I am afraid).

But I do know there is a lot of "remastered" shit out there, wasted some money... the price of being curious I suppose.  But I am quite happy with Qobuz and Presto hires-downloads. 

Disclaimer: my ears, my gear (and my very subjective opinion).

To get back to the Coltrane album's 24/192 version, I have nothing to compare it to, I simply never owned it in any other format.

This particular version sounds ok, not great, and won't win any audiophile prices.

Audirvana has calculated a DR of 9-12, so nothing to write home about either. 

That said, it's a great album and I certainly won't regret the €6.19 Qobuz is currently charging for it with the Sublime discount (French price).