IGNORED

WiiM Mini Airplay 2 & HiRes Streamer/DAC

Does Airplay 2 play through your phone?

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

@audiobomber Thank you for asking ;-)

Unfortunately, not yet tested. just plugged in my old 6s in the power supply ... will test soon.

However, on Android it plays since 24 h all the mega chunky 192kHz  files sans probleme. Using BubbleUPNP.
Just had Rush 2112 and Isaac Hayes "By the time I get to Phoenix" in 24/192 flawless.
As this is the top performance to check out, I am quite happy with my findings, even I have only a couple of albums in that format.
Now it's time to go down to the bottom line and check out if there are format combinations that won't work, like the omni-bad 176,4 format ....
I found there are some small negative points:
- like no powercycle through the app (at least I did not find any),
- In conjunction with the DAC connected, obvious sensibility to cables and power supply.

Will get me some tidal, spotify, Apple and and Amazon streaming account for testing over Easter, using WiFi, DLNA/UPNP, BT and Airplay2.
Reluctant to voice controlled design, so no alexa testing. ;-)

But for 99 bucks it's quite a good performance and it may enable you to have a small portable HP system for travelling (if your phone DAC ain't good enough for you & your phones), or a wireless system in your holiday home using one of the many DACs most guys here already own ...

Sorry, I'm strictly Android.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

5 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

@DuckToller The most important novelty of AirPlay 2 is that of being able to send the stream to different multiroom devices simultaneously in a synchronized way.
Although AirPlay 2 is technically able to handle sample rates higher than 16 / 44.1 Apple has decided not to "open" this possibility.

Thank you, understood.

Thus Airplay 2 audio device compatibility is wrt hi-res outsourced to future proof.

I may test the multiroom when I will receive another Airplay 2 device. What a strange universe that is.

2 hours ago, Rexp said:

I may get one as it does Tidal Connect, although it's not gapless on stored files apparently, which is a bit of a bummer.

Does Tidal  "per se" support gapless playback. I had understood @Cebolla that the popular streaming services don't, afaik bc they might send different formats in one queue/playlist ?

Just getting on with the next blog post. From my viewpoint it's a nice device for an interesting price, especially if you have specific interests like multi room and voice recognition. It looks like the firmware is under permant deveopment which may enable the device and the controlling app to receive added value during the time to come.

I found their app lacking in direct use, as you can't queue a full album and move postion within playlist - at the moment -. Use case must include some workarounds for the thing that might bother users of software like ROON or JRIVER.

Top important reason to get one seems for me the hazzle free set-up for people who can't spell Unpn or DNAL ;-)
Set it up with your streaming service and you won't need  Sonos. Could tear down some of the entry barriers to quality music streaming.

57 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Does Tidal  "per se" support gapless playback. I had understood @Cebolla that the popular streaming services don't, afaik bc they might send different formats in one queue/playlist ?

Gapless playback support, as far as the streaming service is concerned, is simply for its online server to able to provide the next track at the same time as the current one (TIDAL's can) - it's up to the streamer to request the next track before the current one finishes playing.

BTW, other than error or some weird licensing arrangement with the record label, the audio format should be the same for tracks from the same album - so the concern (for the streamer) about different formats should only be for mixed playlists.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

5 hours ago, DuckToller said:

Thus Airplay 2 audio device compatibility is wrt hi-res outsourced to future proof.

I may test the multiroom when I will receive another Airplay 2 device. What a strange universe that is.

Be aware that, unlike original AirPlay, AirPlay 2 can use audio codecs other than ALAC for streaming audio. For example, AirPlay 2 is currently using lossy AAC with Apple Music on an iOS device, regardless of lossless/hi-res tracks being selected in the app. Also, the suspicion is that AAC is being used in order to provide the headroom to avoid glitches when multiroom streaming. See:

https://techobsessed.net/2021/06/apple-music-lossless-and-airplay-dont-work-like-you-think-they-should/

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

The Wiim looks like a Chromecast Audio replacement, but unfortunately falls short.

According to Darko, Airplay 2 runs through the controlling device:

"Once activated, Apple’s streaming system lays down the tracks on which a streaming app’s digital signal rides, this time over our home network. Just as it does with Bluetooth, the stream travels through the smartphone (or tablet) on its way to the Wiim Mini"

https://darko.audio/2022/01/dont-walk-run-to-the-wiim-mini/

Routing through a phone or tables its not good for fidelity. With Chromecast, the phone acts a controller only, music goes directly from the router to the streamer. 

Also, the Wiim has no ethernet connection. Using the ethernet port on a Chromecast shuts down the internal wi-fi radio, which cleans up the sound. That's how I run it in my main system, for internet music, beefed up with a linear power supply, iFi iPurifier SPDIF and LAN Isolator, via glass Toslink to my main DAC. That level of fidelity is unreachable with Wiim.

21 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

The Wiim looks like a Chromecast Audio replacement, but unfortunately falls short.

"Once activated, Apple’s streaming system lays down the tracks on which a streaming app’s digital signal rides, this time over our home network. Just as it does with Bluetooth, the stream travels through the smartphone (or tablet) on its way to the Wiim Mini"

Routing through a phone or tables its not good for fidelity. With Chromecast, the phone acts a controller only, music goes directly from the router to the streamer. 

Also, the Wiim has no ethernet connection. Using the ethernet port on a Chromecast shuts down the internal wi-fi radio, which cleans up the sound. That's how I run it in my main system, for internet music, beefed up with a linear power supply, iFi iPurifier SPDIF and LAN Isolator, via glass Toslink to my main DAC. That level of fidelity is unreachable with Wiim.

If I would want to use ethernet I'd personally go with the RPi solution, the idea of the WiiM is the wireless2digital only option.
Short. Sharp. Shocked.
Using for example Tidal or Qobuz in Roon or with JRIVER won't ask you for your mobile phone to route/stream to the device, I would guess.
Seems to me a matter of choice how to configure your personal system. If chromecast is what you need, you're lucky ;-)

Imho, the real point of difference is the new A97 (2021) linkplay module that may have better performance than the A31 which Is used in many low priced streamers like the Audioengine B-Fi.
image.png image.png
FFCid.io pic of A97  &  WiiM internals       

37 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

If I would want to use ethernet I'd personally go with the RPi solution, the idea of the WiiM is the wireless2digital only option.
Short. Sharp. Shocked.

I have a Pi 3B+. Used purely as a music player into an outboard DAC, both powered by an iPower 5V, I preferred the sound of Chromecast Audio. But the main reason the Pi now lives in a drawer and I use two Chromecast Audio streamers, is because the Pi cannot stream Amazon or YouTube Music. I have the same issue with the exaSound PlayPoint in my main system, and the SOtM sMS-200 Neo in a secondary system. Hence my need for CCA and my interest in a potential replacement.

Using for example Tidal or Qobuz in Roon or with JRIVER won't ask you for your mobile phone to route/stream to the device, I would guess.

I believe that is correct. Only Airplay is compromised like this.

10 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Out of interest, why would routing audio through a mobile device negatively affect SQ?

14 hours ago, Rexp said:

Out of interest, why would routing audio through a mobile device negatively affect SQ?

Because the signal has to go through the phone's wi-fi radios, software and operating system. I am extremely careful about everything in my main system. Every wire and component needs to be carefully vetted. A phone isn't even up to the standards of my desktop system, let alone my main system. 

9 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Because the signal has to go through the phone's wi-fi radios, software and operating system. I am extremely careful about everything in my main system. Every wire and component needs to be carefully vetted. A phone isn't even up to the standards of my desktop system, let alone my main system. 

And I find my phone vastly superior to Chromecast,...guess I need the ethernet connection thingy.

13 hours ago, Rexp said:

And I find my phone vastly superior to Chromecast,...guess I need the ethernet connection thingy.

I suggest the UGreen adapter over Google's version, because it allows for an upgraded PSU.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1X28F1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use Chromecast Audio in my "whole-house" system, connected via wi-fi, powered by an iPower, via Toslink to a Schiit Modi 3. The Wiim would be perfectly acceptable in this system, maybe even a bit better.

I've gone hard on upgrading the CCA in my main system; ethernet from an EtherRegen A side, LAN filter, iPurifier SPDIF, CCA and iPurifier powered by a Topping P50, glass Toslink to my exaSound DAC. The SPDIF was probably the biggest improvement, and would be equally useful with the Wiim.