IGNORED

New Schiit Tyr Mono Amp

Just out from Schiit, the Tyr monoblock amp.

"Hey all,

Picture a $1599 power amplifier. You’re probably thinking of a nice Class-D design in a neat chassis, all super-efficient and lightweight and modern, right?

Wrong!

Meet Tyr. Simply the most insane power amp you’re likely to meet in the “cheap seats.” Tyr isn’t just a all-linear-supply, Nexus™ and Continuity™ differential monoblock amplifier with 24 15-amp output devices per channel—it’s also a choke-input monoblock amplifier. As in, the power supply is fronted by a choke that is the same size and weight as the power transformer! 

Yes, we have brought back choke-input power supplies…in a 200W/8 ohm, semi-affordable monoblock.

And yes, as you have always secretly thought…we are completely insane.

We hope you love it!

Tyr is available to purchase today at Schiit.com for $1599 each. "

tyr-black-main-1920.jpg

tyr-rr-1920.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, oneguy said:

Order your Tyrs separately. You will get upcharged for shipping if you order them in pairs on the same order even though they go out the door as separate items with separate tracking numbers.

So, they are just treating each monoblock like one amp - odd.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 minute ago, botrytis said:

So, they are just treating each monoblock like one amp - odd.

Point being that if you order two on one order you pay more for shipping than if you order one then order another one separately.

That shouldn’t be the case considering regardless of method they leave Schiit’s door the same way and at the same cost. 

10 minutes ago, oneguy said:

Point being that if you order two on one order you pay more for shipping than if you order one then order another one separately.

That shouldn’t be the case considering regardless of method they leave Schiit’s door the same way and at the same cost. 

Totally agree - it is stupefying.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

16 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Totally agree - it is stupefying.

Yep and I’m attempting to get my account credited but they have since upped the price of shipping for USPS in their calculator in the four business days it took to get a response to my question. 

Interested in what you think. I sold my last pair of monoblocks for more than I bought them for (they were Kenwood L-07M's that were rebuilt).

I compared the stereo Schiit amp versus Benchmark and I went with Benchmark. Can't go wrong either way,

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Mine should be here Tuesday.

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

• 1 month later...

Still looking for an "official" review.  Pretty surprised that at least one didn't show up when they were released.  I do have a good friend whose ears I trust that has a pair.  He says they are the best he has ever heard, and he has heard a lot of them in his 74 years.

I check this site often for reviews. Nothing yet. BTW, I love them too.

https://www.dailyaudiophile.com/

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

• 2 weeks later...