IGNORED

Apple has an event scheduled for tomorrow at 10am PST

13 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I already placed my order for the mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GB RAM, 4TB SSD, and the 64 core GPU. let the games begin.

I am normally a Windows computer person as I need it for work HOWEVER I did buy a maxed Macbook Pro, 14" for photo editing, etc. and it really is amazing. I expect the M1 Ultra to be the same. Hoping they port over the apps I use for work to Mac then I would buy an M1 in a heartbeat.

4 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

I am normally a Windows computer person as I need it for work HOWEVER I did buy a maxed Macbook Pro, 14" for photo editing, etc. and it really is amazing. I expect the M1 Ultra to be the same. Hoping they port over the apps I use for work to Mac then I would buy an M1 in a heartbeat.

I've had an M1 mini for a while now and it has convinced me that Apple is on the right path. I was very skeptical about the switch to their own chips, to the point I built an Ubuntu desktop just incase Apple Silicon turned out to be a bust. The things the M1 is capable of, while sipping power, just blows my mind.

No electron left behind.

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Turned out to be a pretty near-term future. 😀

After the build up, I was surprised to see the price was "only" 2k or 4K for the base configs, which are reasonably well equipped, which is un-apple like. I could not resist.

No electron left behind.

9 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I've had an M1 mini for a while now and it has convinced me that Apple is on the right path. I was very skeptical about the switch to their own chips, to the point I built an Ubuntu desktop just incase Apple Silicon turned out to be a bust. The things the M1 is capable of, while sipping power, just blows my mind.

ALL editing (photo and video) apps are so much quicker, loading and processing than I ever thought possible. And if you use ProRes you are in for a real treat. I am sure it will be a great machine. 

9 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

ALL editing (photo and video) apps are so much quicker, loading and processing than I ever thought possible. And if you use ProRes you are in for a real treat. I am sure it will be a great machine. 

I am sure it will be also, for a long time too I hope.

Right now as I type this on my mini, I have HQP Desktop running on the other desktop playing a DSD album as 24/192 pcm, multiple tabs, email open, etc.. Normal usage for me and its using less than 2 watts if this app is telling the truth.

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 4.27.42 PM.png

No electron left behind.

14 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I know some people still use direct connections from their Mac to a DAC, and I am sure you know this, but using a network output versus a USB output, gets around that limitation.

Yep, but it would be lovely not to have to bother, ever.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am sure it will be also, for a long time too I hope.

Right now as I type this on my mini, I have HQP Desktop running on the other desktop playing a DSD album as 24/192 pcm, multiple tabs, email open, etc.. Normal usage for me and its using less than 2 watts if this app is telling the truth.

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 4.27.42 PM.png

I haven't used it in awhile. Is HQP now M1 native?

• 3 weeks later...

So, I just realized after finally getting annoyed enough to look into it that the Mac Studio will not output more than 60hz video, no matter what output is used. This completely explains why my monitor appears so much smoother when using Linux as that is able to output the 120hz my monitor can accept. It also does not have HDMI 2.1. That's a hell of an oversight or terrible and purposeful decision by Apple. It also explains why the Studio Display doesn't have those things. So far, this is my only complaint.

No electron left behind.