IGNORED

Article: Meitner Audio MA3 Integrated D/A Converter Review

5 minutes ago, bbosler said:

wow, how timely !

I got my MA3 earlier this week and absolutely love it... but then you sit and wonder if this is so good should I upgrade to a DV2? An extra  $20K is a big leap when you have no ability to audition. So after this review  I'm sticking with the MA3, at least for now.. maybe wait for somebody to dump a used DV2.

with my last DAC I was preferring Roon with HQP up sampling  and Mitch convolution filters inside HQP  into the DAC via the USB port. Now leaning toward no HQP, using the Mitch filters in Roon and using Ethernet

That's awesome!

With Meitner and EMM DACs, I've found the same thing. I prefer sending audio to them natively (with or without convolutions filters) and have the proprietary DSP upsample to DSD1024. The MA3 is really a great piece.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, cjf said:

Cool product and nice review.

Seems like the ideal combination of features to allow one to retire all those other dodads commonly seen in use today leading up to the main Input of the DAC. In this case, assuming one uses the Ethernet Input on the MA3 exclusively.

One question though. Am I understanding correctly that the Eth Input on the MA3 is limited to DSD64 and in order to feed DSD128 you will need to use the USB Input?

Thanks cjf.

You are correct on the sample rate support. The reason is that the Conversdigital Ethernet card only supports DSD64 and 192 kHz max. I'm sure Meitner would support higher on that interface if they could.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, bbosler said:

currently experimenting with and without filters... initial results , very initial, are I prefer without filters. That led me to try the Mconnect iPad app that Meitner recommends, using it with Qobuz  and Tidal instead of Roon. Can't say it is better but the same, and since I am fed up with the quirky issues I experience with Roon as well as paying for the frustration, may be finally dropping Roon. AND you don't need a server as it streams direct from the internet. It also found my NAS 

I used the Roon radio (auto-play) feature a lot as a way to discover new music but for me it keeps going  into a cycle of repeating songs it just played an hour ago. Roon says they are aware and working on it, but I see complaints on their forums going back over 5 years for the same issue so I am giving up on them. Using the Mconnect app you can use the Tidal and Qobuz auto-play feature which tend to repeat the same artists, but not the same songs.

I have hesitated because I will need to rebuild my Roon playlists .. oh well..

When @Marcin_gps releases the JPLAY for iOS app, you'll love it. Full local, Qobuz, Tidal content and works with MA3 great. Also has a JPLAY radio feature. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, znorter_1 said:

Thanks for the nice writing... I think it will be my next (digital) purchase 🙂
But first, I ask a question: since - if I understand well - all the inputs are "superlatively treated" and therefore also the "USB-media" one: this input could "replace" (for a 2-3 Terabyte library!) another device which is the NAS?
(For a "zen" system 😇 assuming that a PRE would not be necessary to buy...)

And therefore: a flash memory (for example a Corsair Voyager GTX 3.1) would be fine or maybe it is even better (write speed etc.) an external SSD such as a Crucial X8?

Thanks a lot from Italy.

L.

I’ve never tried that port, but am interested to know how well it works and what apps can be used when a drive is connected to it. 

22 minutes ago, Kray said:

@znorter_1@The Computer Audiophile

I have a 256gb PNY thumbdrive connected to test it out. Depending on the amount of files you have on it, it took it a long time to show up in Mconnect (which I believe is the only way you can access/play from the usb media port), say 2-3 minutes.. I have 90gb of files on it. Maybe quicker with an actual drive connected. Formatted FAT32 - Master Boot Record (from my Mac)

It definitely works, but having to use Mconnect is the pain point. I am now a Roon user and just built a fanless NUC and just connect an external USB SSD to it for my local files in addition to Qobuz. 

That was my fear. Slowness and being tied to Mconnect. 

2 minutes ago, znorter_1 said:

Thank you Kray for your feedback...
Let me say -if I'm not wrong- something about the 256gb PNY thumbdrive. It seems to be a very cheap device (up to 80MB /s on port 3.1). First, I mentioned -for example- the Corsair Voyager GTX 3.1 with up to 440MB/sec read and if it will be not the "speed solution", I think that we should put all the blame on Mconnect and try to hope that an external SSD can help us, if it works.
(Or waiting for the Jplay App?)

Can you tell us something about the SQ? Is it "the same" of the other input?
Thanks

L.

Thumb drive speed likely won’t matter much in this situation. 

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, goodguy said:

Regarding firmware updates for the MA3, there was a new firmware released around the first of October. It is version 120-132:006. It must be downloaded to the unit’s “Service port” from a Windows computer via a usb-to-rs232 adapter. Meitner’s recommendation is to take it to your dealer but my dealer was able to get the update package from Meitner and email it to me. 

The new firmware allows the option of defeating the volume control (fixed at 100% volume level) for those using a preamp and also affects the playback on 24/176 and up files.

BTW: the “firmware” version that shows up on the MConnect app (ie v3.9.28)  under “Device Setup” is not the firmware version of the MA3 itself but the firmware version of the MConnect app.

Mconnect just shows the firmware version of the ConversDigital board I believe. 

I’ve updated my EMM/Meitner products via usb to RS232 before. Not rocket science, but not sure if the company recommends it for customers. 

• 11 months later...