Jump to content
IGNORED

Article: Linn Next-generation Klimax DSM Review


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Linn is a special company. Marching to the beat of its own drum and clearly not following the herd. Every time I talk to the team there, I am impressed by how much they know about this stuff and how clear their vision is for their products. Some companies jump on the bandwagon with new shiny objects or technologies. Not Linn. These guys will implement something that's new if it makes sense and fits their vision of their product offering. 

 

Very good people at the company as well. 

 

I agree 100%. The funny thing is I never really like their LP12 and preferred turntables from VIP, Goldmund and Well Tempered Lab.

 

I still see myself as a vinyl nerd in my heart, even though I have not had my TT plugged in for over 20 years 😜.

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, bbosler said:

For the sake of clarity, it's not really $19.5K OR $39K.

 

The $19.5K version only works with Linn active speakers, so for the majority of us there is not a $19.5K option

 

Now if I could only remember where I put that extra $40K I keep for emergency audio purchases


It really is $19.5K or $39K and you explain why in your comment. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Link to comment
2 hours ago, bbosler said:

For the sake of clarity, it's not really $19.5K OR $39K.

The $19.5K version only works with Linn active speakers, so for the majority of us there is not a $19.5K option

 

The 19,5k device is the New Linn Klimax System Hub with Exakt outputs. There is no DAC inside.

 

The 39k device is the New Linn Klimax DSM with the Organik DAC inside.

 

Both devices share the same casework.

 

If you do the math you get the price for the pure Organik DAC board without case:

 

It is 19,5k USD.

 

All I can say is Wow!

 

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

 

Link to comment

Chris, I have a question about the Linn App, which I attempted to answer by reading their website, however that led to more confusion. Does the Linn App let you select local files on a NAS, or elsewhere on the local network, or does that require the use of Kazoo Server, Minimserver, or one of the other suggested pieces of software?

No electron left behind.

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Chris, I have a question about the Linn App, which I attempted to answer by reading their website, however that led to more confusion. Does the Linn App let you select local files on a NAS, or elsewhere on the local network, or does that require the use of Kazoo Server, Minimserver, or one of the other suggested pieces of software?

Linn app works with local files just like streaming services. You need a UPnP server like MinimServer, JRiver, etc…

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Linn app works with local files just like streaming services. You need a UPnP server like MinimServer, JRiver, etc…

 

Thank you. One last thing I forgot to ask and that's about the volume control. Is it a digital volume control, and if so, does the Klimax resample everything to then adjust volume?

No electron left behind.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, joralieu said:

I have exakt akubariks, what does the organik dsm hub give you when the dac is in the speaker?

 

There is no "Organik" system hub since the Klimax system hub has no DAC inside and "Organik" is the name of the DAC.

 

But the new Klimax system hub is superior sounding in comparison to the former one.

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

 

Link to comment
On 2/12/2022 at 2:41 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

It really is $19.5K or $39K and you explain why in your comment. 

 

I don't want to get in a pissing contest, but there is no way this is an OR situation. OR implies a choice as if there is a functional equivalency. There is not.  I have no choice, you have no choice, and actually nobody has a choice because if I want one of these I have to buy the $39K unit because in order to use the hub you need to invest over $90K in a complete system. 

 

It is no different than saying you can buy a DCS Bartok OR you can buy a DCS Bridge. Well of course you could buy either, but they are 2 completely different beasts just like these 2 devices. 

 

Linn doesn't even offer a hub as a stand alone unit on their web site. They don't mention the hub in their section on streamers. They only mention it as part of the system. They don't even list a price for it separately because there is effectively no $19.5K option, only a $96K option. 

 

I rest my case, thanks for humoring me, I will now look to get a life 😜

 

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

 

 

Link to comment
17 hours ago, bbosler said:

They don't even list a price for it separately because there is effectively no $19.5K option, only a $96K option. 

 

Sorry, wrong.

 

At least the System Hub is listed on the UK price list so I assume on the US price list as well:

Go to page 6 Upgrades:

 

https://www.cymbiosis.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/GBP_January_2022.pdf

 

With the System Hub you need the external DAC box, with the DSM you have the internal DAC

 

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

 

Link to comment
On 2/15/2022 at 9:58 AM, joralieu said:

Hmm, wonder what the new system hub would do for the akubariks. I would guess that organik will come to the akubariks as an upgrade at some point.

If you're on hifiwigwam, check out the Linn Owner's forum - lots of discussion about how the new system hub improves Exakt speakers even without the Organik upgrade

 

ChrisG

Bend, OR

Link to comment
6 hours ago, saturdayboy said:

I’ll ask the $64,000 question: Price not being an issue, would you chose it or the Rossini?

 

33 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Ferrari or a Lamborghini?  

 

In this thread there is this post which avers that the Linn Klimax DS/3 beat the dCS Rossini.

 

In all probability the gap (advance) between DS/3/Katalyst and Next Gen./Organik is significant to say the very least; e.g.:

Way better than Klimax2016 and bigger difference than previous step of Akurate to Klimax. Katalyst was a mere whiff compared to this.

 

ergo - No comparison 🙂

Link to comment
6 hours ago, Iving said:

In this thread there is this post which avers that the Linn Klimax DS/3 beat the dCS Rossini.

 

In all probability the gap (advance) between DS/3/Katalyst and Next Gen./Organik is significant to say the very least; e.g.:

Way better than Klimax2016 and bigger difference than previous step of Akurate to Klimax. Katalyst was a mere whiff compared to this.

 

ergo - No comparison 🙂

 

Maybe a reevaluation is mandatory with the new dCS Apex DAC upgrade for Rossini.

 

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

 

Link to comment
4 hours ago, saturdayboy said:

Agreed, and it’s not like one person’s opinion establishes a definitive ranking.

 

Indeed,

in the price range of Linn Klimax DSM Organik and dCS Rossini Apex I would also evaluate a combo of a very good server and a DAC.......

 

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

 

Link to comment
On 2/12/2022 at 10:25 PM, matthias said:

 

The 19,5k device is the New Linn Klimax System Hub with Exakt outputs. There is no DAC inside.

 

The 39k device is the New Linn Klimax DSM with the Organik DAC inside.

 

Both devices share the same casework.

 

If you do the math you get the price for the pure Organik DAC board without case:

 

It is 19,5k USD.

 

All I can say is Wow!

 

Matt

 

 

The prices sound horrendous, but for exisiting Linn DSM/Hub owners there are some sweeteners in the UK at least.

 

For example, those already owning a old style Klimax Hub or DSM, the price of the Next Generation Hub comes down from £15,000 to £11,000. In my case, I was also able to sell my old DSM so the net cost of upgrading to New Hub was £7,776 (around $10,500).

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...

The reviews for the NG Linn Klimax DSM seem to rate it's low level detail amongst the best.
I'd be interested to hear how it compared to the Lumin X1, which has just received an Absolute Sounds Editors Choice Award for 2022,

"It also performs as well sonically as any streamer/DAC/preamplifier SS has ever had in his clutches. Low-level detail through the Lumin X1 is exemplary".

The X1 is also $13,990 vs. $30,999 for the Linn, that's a $20K premium.



 

Link to comment

You can get an X1 for about $10K so it’s actually a $30K premium. I owned the X1 for a while (sold it to finance the purchase of an amp), and recently listened to the new Klimax DSM Organik at a store. The Linn might be slightly better, but not worth the huge price difference in my opinion. The X1 is a true giant killer.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...