IGNORED

Article: Linn Next-generation Klimax DSM Review

Chris,

Great review.  Your enthusiasm is palpable.  An LP12 turntable was my first audiophile product which provided years of pleasure. Glad to see Linn playing at this level again..

One question.  Your Berkeley and Rossini are not listed in the equipment list so wonder if they have moved on.

Best 

Just now, wdw said:

Chris,

Great review.  Your enthusiasm is palpable.  An LP12 turntable was my first audiophile product which provided years of pleasure. Glad to see Linn playing at this level again..

One question.  Your Berkeley and Rossini are not listed in the equipment list so wonder if they have moved on.

Best 

I'm glad you could sense my appreciation and enthusiasm for this component. It really is a stunning achievement. 

The Rossini has moved on. The Berkeley is still here, but has been on the shelf for a bit. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

57 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm glad you could sense my appreciation and enthusiasm for this component. It really is a stunning achievement. 

The Rossini has moved on. The Berkeley is still here, but has been on the shelf for a bit. 

In this time of covid restrictions, local hifi huts with limited selection due to supply chain issues and cost restraints, we are limited in our opportunities to listen and compare these pieces so are, at times, forced to read the tea leaves. ☺️

Nice review Chris! One of your best in terms of describing and translating your feelings. 

However, I was so taken aback by what I finally figured out was, in essence, a networked DAC/Pre. When I was reading your article you mentioned hooking it up to your Constellations and that puzzled me. I just assumed you wanted to understand its performance through a system with which you are intimately familiar. I went to the Linn website and was looking for the amp specs. Ha! In the future I definitely need to read more carefully and not pay so much attention to the suggested retail price!! Ow! I just assumed it was everything all wrapped in one beautiful box. Silly me. 

Keep up the good work!

JJinPDX

10 minutes ago, JJinPDX said:

Nice review Chris! One of your best in terms of describing and translating your feelings. 

However, I was so taken aback by what I finally figured out was, in essence, a networked DAC/Pre. When I was reading your article you mentioned hooking it up to your Constellations and that puzzled me. I just assumed you wanted to understand its performance through a system with which you are intimately familiar. I went to the Linn website and was looking for the amp specs. Ha! In the future I definitely need to read more carefully and not pay so much attention to the suggested retail price!! Ow! I just assumed it was everything all wrapped in one beautiful box. Silly me. 

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words JJ.

I hear ya about its function and price. It's a flagship piece and I can't afford it either :~(

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This is a great review Chris. Linn continues to support my old sneaky DS streamer with updates. This is a great company to work with, with great service and passion for making good products.

It's still unclear to me how do they support Roon. Roon sees the player as a normal "end point"? Does the player stores the Roon playlist itself?

Thanks a lot. I hope someday I can get some of this magic (I loved an old Akurate when I tested it). Hope all this trickles down do more affordable linn series.

2 hours ago, MikeJazz said:

This is a great review Chris. Linn continues to support my old sneaky DS streamer with updates. This is a great company to work with, with great service and passion for making good products.

It's still unclear to me how do they support Roon. Roon sees the player as a normal "end point"? Does the player stores the Roon playlist itself?

Thanks a lot. I hope someday I can get some of this magic (I loved an old Akurate when I tested it). Hope all this trickles down do more affordable linn series.

Roon works in a special way with Linn products, but still provides the full Roon experience. It appears as an endpoint, with full volume control and all the other goodies. 

19 minutes ago, wdw said:

Hello Chris,

Seriously OT but just wanted to thank you for your passionate review of Chet's Alone Together...on the strength of this review I have just downloaded a ProStudioMasters 192/24 copy (I know, overkill!) ...sounds just simple and wonderful.  

Now, how to get that Linn...just dunno 

Glad you like it! It has been a favorite of mine since I purchased an Analogue Productions SACD about 15 years ago. 

Great review on what sounds like a great product.

Any chance you can review the Ideon Audio Absolte DAC?  It comes as standalone or can play as a 3 box combo (DAC, Stream, & Time).  It has received rave reviews elsewhere and one reviewer at Absolute Sound bought it.

Would love to hear your review of it.

"Listening to the competitor, you knew you were hearing an outstanding piano recording. With the Ideon, you could believe you were hearing a piano."

"But the fact remains that this is a world-class digital-to-analog converter, and even something of a bargain compared to its most elite competitors. There may be no sunroof or heated front seats, but Ideon’s Absolute DAC is a no-compromise piece of audio gear. In a good way, which is why I’m buying one."

I have loved Linn Klimax ever since I first heard it 2011 and have loved how they have been able to enhance SQ with every revision. But to me its not only about SQ per se, its how Klimax showed me that (SOTA) SMPS and good implemented delta sigma can be made to sound spectacular, something that I at that time really thought was impossible, I know better now because of Linn :).

I love to hear their new all in one state of the art sound, but OTOH maybe best not if it sound as good as Chris says.