IGNORED

Best headphones or IEM for gaming/work and movies

Hi

I'm very new to the audiophile market, but i recently build my self a new computer with nothing spared. And now I'm looking to upgrade the sound.

Since the lock down i have been working from home so I sit with my headphone most of the day properly 8 hours +.  So weight is very important to me.

I currently have Sennheizer One gaming, I do game a lot and am very fund of the sound stage they can deliver.  But in the long run they are not very comfortable.

I have tried the Hifimann Ananda bt, and the audeze LCD-GX, both very good headsets.

The first though having great sound lacks in the bass department which makes some of my games sound rather flat. The latter are very heavy and i cannot use them all day.

I have looked at 64audio's A4s but i have never tried IEM modules, but if they can deliver a good bass and a nice sound stage for 3D IEM could be the way to go because they are lightweight.

Other than that I am, as stated, new to this scene and would like a few inputs on what to look for if anyone have any suggestions.

Regards

You reside in a price range that I do not...but I really like iems and have been wearing for years.  But even the best ones can become uncomfortable after a 2-4 hours.  In your case I would go custom fitting.  If you just want to try, Etymotic ER2SE are about $100 on Amazon and sound good for the price.  I have had ER4SRs but they disintegrated.  I also like the Westone sound and have had mid-range (4, 4R, and one or two others) but their cables tend to break down.  But I wear mine working out, yard work, etc..  Now I use wireless Jabra 75t/85t and NuraTrue.  

Also, if you are doing movies and games use an equalizer that enhances vocals.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear R7800 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->iFi xDSD->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

• 4 months later...
On 2/2/2022 at 3:35 PM, Ephreal said:

Hi

I'm very new to the audiophile market, but i recently build my self a new computer with nothing spared. And now I'm looking to upgrade the sound.

Since the lock down i have been working from home so I sit with my headphone most of the day properly 8 hours +.  So weight is very important to me.

I currently have Sennheizer One gaming, I do game a lot and am very fund of the sound stage they can deliver.  But in the long run they are not very comfortable.

I have tried the Hifimann Ananda bt, and the audeze LCD-GX, both very good headsets.

The first though having great sound lacks in the bass department which makes some of my games sound rather flat. The latter are very heavy and i cannot use them all day.

I have looked at 64audio's A4s but i have never tried IEM modules, but if they can deliver a good bass and a nice sound stage for 3D IEM could be the way to go because they are lightweight.

Other than that I am, as stated, new to this scene and would like a few inputs on what to look for if anyone have any suggestions.

Regards

What do you intend to drive these with? If its a computer sound card, buying a more expensive headphone isn't a guarantee of good results.

IEM's are great for portable use but not comfortable for long listening sessions... earbuds that sit over the ear canal are better for that.

Meze 99 Classic is my go to over ear headphone for best comfort/sound/ efficiency blend. They aren't as articulate as the Audeze Sine/LCD-1

phones I have but they don't require much power to drive them either.

Getting some Master & Dynamic MW 07 GO Bluetooth earphones this weekend, have the Sony WH-1000XM4 phones which are nice

but just don't ring true for tone color of instruments. A lot to be said for bluetooth cord freedom

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 6/22/2022 at 3:12 PM, visokiasovi said:

If you like open head solutions, I can recommend Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Open-Air Headphones that I bought several weeks ago and so far I'm pretty much impressed with the results.

Superior high and mid-tones and excellent power handling are delivered thanks to the new 53 mm drivers and bobbin-wound CCAW voice coils. Because of the giant drivers and the fantastic frequency response, the sound in games will be crisp, clean, airy, and give an almost perfect directional feeling.

Thank you, i looked into the the ATH-AD900X, they look good I like the large driver compared to the ones i have currently. However i wonder why they did not go with Neodyme.

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

What do you intend to drive these with? If its a computer sound card, buying a more expensive headphone isn't a guarantee of good results.

IEM's are great for portable use but not comfortable for long listening sessions... earbuds that sit over the ear canal are better for that.

Meze 99 Classic is my go to over ear headphone for best comfort/sound/ efficiency blend. They aren't as articulate as the Audeze Sine/LCD-1

phones I have but they don't require much power to drive them either.

Getting some Master & Dynamic MW 07 GO Bluetooth earphones this weekend, have the Sony WH-1000XM4 phones which are nice

but just don't ring true for tone color of instruments. A lot to be said for bluetooth cord freedom

I had thought of buying this one to drive them : https://twister6.com/2021/12/21/lotoo-paw-s2/amp/

But as you said i think im moving away from the IEM's. I find it odd that most of them do not go higher than 20KHz in resolution.

I do not want to go Bluetooth simply because its a weight increase for something i do not need.

7 hours ago, Ephreal said:

Thank you, i looked into the the ATH-AD900X, they look good I like the large driver compared to the ones i have currently. However i wonder why they did not go with Neodyme.

I had thought of buying this one to drive them : https://twister6.com/2021/12/21/lotoo-paw-s2/amp/

But as you said i think im moving away from the IEM's. I find it odd that most of them do not go higher than 20KHz in resolution.

I do not want to go Bluetooth simply because its a weight increase for something i do not need.

The S2 should have no difficulties sounding good driving  any reasonably efficient headphone/earphone.  Audeze full size will likely sound nice with an S2 but won't fully

come to life without the amp power of something like a Chord Mojo.

Two sites you can look at for headphone reviews, Headphonics and Headphonia.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

25 minutes ago, deanorthk said:

Man times I have heard that Senn HD800 and 800S are among the very top three of gaming headphones. I have a LCD GX, that is powered by a SB X7, and frankly speaking, for gaming, it's quite incredible. Better than my TH900MK2 for sure.

Yeah I've looked into those as well problem is that they are quite heavy. And not good for long usage.

I've looked at Senn HD800S and HD820S, i think its a bit high a jump for me atm.

I've been trying to compare the ATH-AD900X vs Hifimann XS, but currently have been unable to find a reliable source since they are in two different classes. However I'm currently looking at the ATH-AD900x Since they have reportedly a very good sound stage. Not at pair with the HD800 but its very good due to similar large drivers. 53mm And they are very light weight comparably

21 hours ago, WynnHiFi said:

For late night viewing of movies, I use iems with a Bluetooth adapter (7Hz Timeless plus FiiO UTWS3).  The Timeless (around $200) is a planar design and has incredible detail in mid and treble, but lack a big bass punch.

Some consider low bass to be a distraction for serious gaming, can cover up cues and get you fragged. Voice  and treble clarity are what helps survival

Regards,

Dave

Audio system