IGNORED

Article: What A Time To Be Alive: 1991

41 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Nice, Chris!
Had a comparable year for myself in 1979, still a year away from my first Hi-Fi system at the 16th birthday.
I often feel that the enthusiasm & appreciation for the music we emphasized at that age was incredible and did not at all demand an audiophile system for unlimited happiness.
To be honest, I have much better sound now but much less of this enthusiasm nowadays.
And I still go back quite often listening to music I heard between 14 and 20 years of age, still hoping ...

PS: I remember my neighbor inviting me to listen to his 1k CD-Player when he bought that Nirvana CD.
I came with the Vinyl record in my hand and we found out that even that expensive CD spinner couldn't make the disc sound better than the record.

I can remember, vividly, how excited my Dad was to get his first CD player hooked up and playing. That quickly turned to disappointment. It was some Sony CD player.

No electron left behind.

18 minutes ago, jrobbins50 said:

For me, the soundtrack of that era was the Singles original motion picture soundtrack. That was my first intro to Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins and Alice In Chains. January ‘91 is when our youngest daughter was born, so I was far from a 15-year old teen when I first heard this all. :) JCR 

One of the best soundtracks of all time. Also on it are the Screaming Trees, Paul Westerberg ( The Replacements), and that other guy from Seattle Jimi Hendrix. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I feel like I could’ve written for 100 pages on how much this music impacted me, but I had to make it reasonably digestible 🙂

I understand... I was remembering earlier how I felt watching those jets take off into the night as the air assault on Iraq started live on TV...

No electron left behind.

3 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I understand... I was remembering earlier how I felt watching those jets take off into the night as the air assault on Iraq started live on TV...

I too remember it well. What's mind blowing now is that we may have friends here in this community who experienced this from another side. I don't want to go off topic though. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Great article. In 1991 I recall being a Freshman in college. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains and many other bands considered Grunge were played at all the college parties. I was still married to Hair Metal at the time (and still am today) but the sound of these new comers was hard to ignore.

I would say that I always appreciated the Grunge bands back then but didn't really get into them fully until I was older. These days its probably one of my most listened to music genres...besides Metal.

An old fox body 5.0 Mustang always seemed to make everything sound better. I do very much miss my old 93 LX 5.0

Good stuff

I was also a high school freshman in 1991. All the same memories. My Sony headphones were the mdr-v6. They were a perfect match for my discman.   My 1991 ended with the Beatles Collection black bread box for Christmas from my parents. Unforgettable. I remember hearing about Pearl Jam in English class right before Ten came out. 

Samsung 2TB SSD external drive > Oppo 205 USB in > McIntosh C45 > Proceed AMP5 > Mirage HDT Speakers > Velodyne HGS15 Sub // Nordost Blue Heaven Cables, PS Audio Quintet, OWC 2TB Mercury Elite Pro Firewire

8 hours ago, edn4x4 said:

@The Computer Audiophile You forgot to mention The Halloween Blizzard of 1991.  

Which is also the basis for the movie, The Perfect Storm, that hit the east coast after it dumped all that snow on the Midwest.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

On 2/2/2022 at 11:57 AM, AudioDoctor said:

So many memories coming back now... Thanks Chris!

Music isn't about systems, it's about memories and the people we make them with.

I must be the odd person out, here.

But I have almost no nostalgia connected with music at all.

For me, the music I listened to in my youth, either holds up on its own merit, or it doesn't. I don't care if I listened to certain bands during the best times of my youth, if they do not meet my criteria* for what I enjoy in music, I do not listen to them.

That being said, there are a fair number of artists from my youth that I still listen to, but I do so because they still meet my criteria. While, there are other artists I listened to at the same period of time, that I no longer listen to. 

*very high level of musicianship, a high level of complexity, deep and broad emotional and/or intellectual content, avoidance of verse>chorus>bridge song format, avoidance of repetitiveness.

10 minutes ago, Simon Moon said:

I must be the odd person out, here.

But I have almost no nostalgia connected with music at all.

For me, the music I listened to in my youth, either holds up on its own merit, or it doesn't. I don't care if I listened to certain bands during the best times of my youth, if they do not meet my criteria* for what I enjoy in music, I do not listen to them.

That being said, there are a fair number of artists from my youth that I still listen to, but I do so because they still meet my criteria. While, there are other artists I listened to at the same period of time, that I no longer listen to. 

*very high level of musicianship, a high level of complexity, deep and broad emotional and/or intellectual content, avoidance of verse>chorus>bridge song format, avoidance of repetitiveness.

You have to be an engineer 🙂

A lot of “here are the requirements” and “are the requirements met.” Seems like you need an RFP for music. 

If it makes you happy, that’s what counts. 

All meant in good fun 🙂

Carcass!

(Chris, you said you like metal!)

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.