IGNORED

Seems quiet in here…. Anyone building a z690?

TimF

52 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

This HDPLEX 500W ATX Linear Power Supply should be operated without DC-ATX converter, because it already meets the ATX specification. 😉

True. @TimF just picked up the TAIKO DC DC-ATX. My understanding of his earlier post above  is that he was wondering if he could power it with the HDPlex variable DC out (which he already has) while he waits to obtain an ULPS . So if the supply is the one pictured (I could not see any other 500W on their website) - then that would be outside of the TAIKO spec, especially their optimal 19-35 VDC input as shown above.

b.

My current Z690 server is:

I have ASUS TUF GAMING Radeon RX 6800 XT GPU waiting in box to be installed in place of the RTX2080Ti (that will move to another server).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 2/11/2022 at 7:30 AM, TimF said:

Moving along now… purchased 

GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS PRO (decided on atx size to eventually fit the case and Taiko)

Corsair vengeance DDR5 2x16GB 5200 (seemed a good option, low price and well reviewed)

Intel 800p optane drive (very low latency)

Already have basic usb and network cards from Femto, and Hdplex external 500w PSU. 

Q. Could I drive a Taiko supply with my Hdplex PSU? Any point at all? Will get unregulated at a later date. 
Q. With the Taiko do you need separate PSU for both 5v cards? 

What do you think? 

Z690 Master is ATX size even though it’s listed differently 

5 hours ago, Miska said:

My current Z690 server is:

I have ASUS TUF GAMING Radeon RX 6800 XT GPU waiting in box to be installed in place of the RTX2080Ti (that will move to another server).

Thanks for this. Any reason to use a graphics card? I didn’t go for this board as it has no onboard graphics. I believe older optane drives are best too. 

Cheers Tim 

1 hour ago, TimF said:

I looked at the space left in your pics and it looks larger. I didn’t go for this as the Taiko atx visually seem like it won’t fit. Any thoughts ? Cheers Tim

I have an email to Emile out there awaiting a response on the DC-ATX dimensions. I’ll let you know what I find out. I think there will be space in my case. For reference the HDPLEX DC-ATX is 160(L) x 51.5 (W) x 26 (H) mm. 

Drill holes and tap them (tap and die set) for the screw thread you plan on using. 

I’d have to measure if the Taiko would fit with space I have left over in my case to lay horizontal but worse case scenario it would cut vertical along the wall. Internal height is 88mm so there is 10mm to spare. 

Ultimately though I plan on putting my Taiko in a separate case (H5) with a ULPS, stack the two and drop the cable through a hole in the case directly on top for the most direct routing. 

Cool thanks! 

It's just the threads to mount the Taiko into the H5 V3 case. Any idea what size etc.? This'll save me a lot of time trying to figure it out :) 

If you do move the Taiko my understanding is to keep the DC cables really short or it'll affect sound quality (from reading up!). Also that this dc cable is the best to use:

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/mundorf-99silver1gold-wire-15mm-p-6086.html

Also looking at making my own cables.... any recommendations on molex pins? (I'm assuming gold plated). I've seen gold plated ones on Ebay which look ok. 

Cheers, Tim

The gold plated Molex pins I bought were not that great with the 14AWG UPOCC Neotech wire I favor, the regular ones from a case modding/overclocker shop were better to work with. Tha much fabled Mundorf sounds squeeky to me, YMMV...

Get a GOOD crimping tool, think 40 bucks and beyond...the ratchet type.

As to Optane, the femto SSD mentioned in another separate thread outperforms it, by quite a bit.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

check if it has a ratchet mechanism, and that is made for Molex pins...and prepare to test and tinker before it works well. With the gold plated molex pins I found that soldering the back side after crimping was needed, not so with the more mundane molex pins.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

Great all sorted… still specifying the last bits. 

Is an acrylic lid needed for the Hdplex case? If so are there any commercially available at a sensible price? 

I was given a cheap optical network card SolarFlare SF10-050020, any idea if this is worth trying on my etherregen? I also have a jcat femto.

Thanks all for your patience ! 

1 hour ago, TimF said:

SolarFlare SF10-050020

It may be performing better than the onboard and it allows you to use Fiber for separation, so by all means try...

From it's used price I assume it's not a low latency version, and low latency is king here...but I did not dig into the specs.