IGNORED

Pi 2 Design Mercury Streamer

bobfa

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, oneguy said:

@dericchan1Thanks for the confirmation. I wanted to get a Pi2AES but they’re out of stock with a questionable ETR date. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Mercury to feed my Yggy from the server. 

I don’t use audiolinux tho, I only use the raspberry pi NAA image and connect to my windows hqplayer desktop, it works just fine

• 2 weeks later...

OH....I gotcha....I do not think in those terms as I do not have powered speakers.    I just ordered my Mercury...and also good quality, short HDMI cable to connect it to my DAC. I am excited about this. Very, very cool device....although I am very green and probably do not even understand all of its capabilities. 

• 5 weeks later...

Im a bit late to this but am so glad you began reviewing the new Pi2 Mercury.!
I’m almost there about  a purchase, as I’m (so far) seeing it as a significant improvement on the Pi2AES. Or at least for those not wanting to tinker to such a great extent. I’m currently using an allo digione, even managed to copy/paste code though ssh (Volumio) to calm the rpi s bit. Definitely improved s/q overall. But now seeking a decent upgrade, and one that would hopefully best the new ifi zen stream. Plus would really like to try I2s for once. 

Question: have you had a chance to stream via wifi since this post? If so, compared it to the Pi2AES? 

Thanks in advance! 

10 hours ago, Riccitone said:

Im a bit late to this but am so glad you began reviewing the new Pi2 Mercury.!
I’m almost there about  a purchase, as I’m (so far) seeing it as a significant improvement on the Pi2AES. Or at least for those not wanting to tinker to such a great extent. I’m currently using an allo digione, even managed to copy/paste code though ssh (Volumio) to calm the rpi s bit. Definitely improved s/q overall. But now seeking a decent upgrade, and one that would hopefully best the new ifi zen stream. Plus would really like to try I2s for once. 

Question: have you had a chance to stream via wifi since this post? If so, compared it to the Pi2AES? 

Thanks in advance! 

I'm expecting a Mercury any day now.  I like my Pi2AES a lot.  With Gentooplayer it's a true bargain, IMO, very good sound.  I prefer coax over AES, seems cleaner.  My Dac doesn't have I2S input, but the coax makes excellent music.  I'll post a comparison when I get the Mercury.

10 hours ago, zackthedog said:

I'm expecting a Mercury any day now.  I like my Pi2AES a lot.  With Gentooplayer it's a true bargain, IMO, very good sound.  I prefer coax over AES, seems cleaner.  My Dac doesn't have I2S input, but the coax makes excellent music.  I'll post a comparison when I get the Mercury.

That would be really great, thank you. The upgrade bug really bit me hard yesterday, so I went ahead and ordered the Mercury! Considered it would be a notable and worthwhile upgrade to my allo board/rpi. Still very curious about the comparison, so I look forward to your findings. My dac has I2s, so I’ll make sure to report any differences I find between I2s and coax, of course there are SO many variables that can effect outcomes. Very much appreciate everyone’s input and expertise on these amazing game-changing devices! 🙏🏼

58 minutes ago, Egill23 said:

Are the Mercuries shipping now? I preordered one a while ago to replace the Allo digione signature that has served me well, but the delays in China due to covid restriction made me drop the expectations of getting it anytime soon.

The web site says they should be shipping by the end of May.

5 hours ago, Riccitone said:

That would be really great, thank you. The upgrade bug really bit me hard yesterday, so I went ahead and ordered the Mercury! Considered it would be a notable and worthwhile upgrade to my allo board/rpi. Still very curious about the comparison, so I look forward to your findings. My dac has I2s, so I’ll make sure to report any differences I find between I2s and coax, of course there are SO many variables that can effect outcomes. Very much appreciate everyone’s input and expertise on these amazing game-changing devices! 🙏🏼

I can tell you that the Pi2AES is an upgrade from my Allo USB/Digione Signature.  The coax output is much cleaner and free of the slight glaze the Allo has.  The Allo is good, but Pi2AES eliminates all the glaze.

11 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

The web site says they should be shipping by the end of May.

From P2 Design webpage: 

Production Update 5/12/22 - The assembly house shipped the first production units to us. DHL says we will get them Tuesday next week (17th). We will need a few days to begin testing and shipping units. Current back orders should be completely shipped by week of the 30th.

10 hours ago, sonodynesrp205 said:

Hello,

so we can order this streamer only from their home store? From USA? Because Im from EU.

regards,
Simon

I'm from the EU too I ordered one on the site which works just fine. For me  it was an additional $75 in shipping fee and then I'll have to pay VAT+ customs fee when it arrives. I don't think  there is any other way  of buying it at the moment, but I do think it would be nice if f.x Audiophonics could sell it.

1 hour ago, Egill23 said:

I'm from the EU too I ordered one on the site which works just fine. For me  it was an additional $75 in shipping fee and then I'll have to pay VAT+ customs fee when it arrives. I don't think  there is any other way  of buying it at the moment, but I do think it would be nice if f.x Audiophonics could sell it.

Yes, it would be nice, but I imagine, given Michael's on-and-off difficulty in sourcing parts, it would be hard to engage a distributor.  Plus, why would he share any of the profits? ;-)

If you work with Holo Audio spring or May please try the I2S connection.

I had no success with  Raspi 4  based streamers  (Silent audio Munich M1t)

https://www.silent-angel-audio.com/munich-m1t

The Holo audio Dacs (Spring and May) need 15 seconds to lock to the I2S input

and need 15 to relock , if you pause and change resolution.  Barely tolerable .

Even without change in the samplerate  the first seconds of every file dissapear in the locking Nirvana.

Holo Support suggests to disable PLL  , as the signal ,coming of the Raspi would be way to noisy. But disable their worldclass PLL as a workaround ?

Not a good idea , because I need PLL desperately with other sources (S/PDIF).

JR adds 5 seconds of silence to come across the problem . Not for me.

Last :

Why I2S ?

In my Rig  with Neumann studiomonitors I2S sounds right.

Can someone with more skills shed a light on this ?

And is there a networkstreamer with full functional I2S ?

Best and t.i.a.

as

Hate late stage capitalism's tendency to overly fetishize merch