IGNORED

Pi 2 Design Mercury Streamer

bobfa

2 minutes ago, chauphuong said:

Is there anything better in design of this one when compared with Allo Usbridge Signature (besides more connections)?

The design of the Mercury Streamer uses the CM4 module which has major compute performance improvements over the CM3 in the USBridge Sig.  The Allo product is focused on USB output.  The Mercury is focused on other digital outputs like their Pi2AES product. I have no idea what the USB output of the Mercury will do for us.

The addition of local NVME storage in the Mercury  is to me a huge step forward.

In the Allo you can add the Digione Signature SPDIF output HAT which sounds pretty darn good.  In my testing the Pi2AES is better to my ear, but there are a lot of variables.

RJF

• 1 month later...

A short report at the end of the day.  I have done some listening to both Pi2Design devices and the Antipodes K50.  I do not currently have any high-end DACs to listen to, so I am just using the (S/PDIF) iFi xDSD Gryphon and four headphones.   As I expected, they are all some of the best digital sources I have ever had in hand.  I am not ready to pick Gold/Silver/Bronze medal winner.  I feel that I may be limited with my current test system.  I will move to the upstairs systems in a few days.

I am currently running Roon on the K50 and Volumio on the others.  My goal this weekend is to run the same software on all three.  LMS+

Squeezelite.  The Pi2AES is a simple SD card swap, and the K50 is a set of software switches.  I am working on other OS variants on the Mercury with a couple of hitches in my get-along.  (welcome to beta)

I will declare the Fourth Place contender, the Teac 501 CD Transport. I have been using CD Rips for my music, like the Loreena McKennitt shown and some streaming.

IMG_2275.thumb.jpeg.28cb1a5c9a59f234ec32ddedfc395559.jpeg

5 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

Thanks glad to know no urgency for me to upgrade after just owning the pi2aes for 1 year.

I have had a lot of fun with software, power supplies, and cables to round out the Pi2AES.  I am not done yet.  For me, I am looking at Mercury as a Server and a Streamer.  Avoiding the USB external drive on Pi4 systems.  

Slow down a bit here folks.  This is currently BETA!  Here is what I know and what I have done with volumio so far:

1. installed a 4TB m.2 NVME drive in the Mercury

2. tested with NTFS Format and now working on ext4

3. changed config to allow usb drives (works)

4.changed config to mount the internal drive and smb share it.

In the process of copying 3TB of data from external USB to internal NVME.

Sound Quality testing reports will come out over time.

Please note that I am reporting here and on SuperBestAudioFriends as that is were the beta is being loggedd.

Most of my testing has been around eliminating software and network traffic.  So for local files no NAS. I have been very happy with PiCorePlayer and LMS.  

I have also been fussing over power supplies.  I am not sure where that is going.  

I have two USBRidge Sig devices that I am no longer using as I try really hard to get out of using USB for my personal systems.  USB does provide some interesting  advantages for folks that are upsampling, etc..

This is not "all" about sound quality.  The UI/UX is also important. There are a lot of players out there.

I have NO conclusions yet on the Mercury Streamer.  First real listening session was an accident and a happy one.    There are a couple of OS issues that may be CM4 related on Audiolinux and PiCorePlayer.  Too early to tell right now.

When I was reviewing the USBridge SIG I tried several OS variants.  But it was down to MPD for sounding the best:

The UI/UX was OK.  I keep moving on and testing.  I am not sure there is an end.    I also reviewed the Volumio Primo which is still rather interesting and I have in use.  I am testing Volumio 3 which has a few nice features.  My first blush was to not go further because it really did not sound better,...  They turn on all their sources which seem to greatly degrade the sound quality.  Way too many things to test.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is no magic here.  Someone has to test.  Remember that the Mercury is a CUSTOM CM4 carrier board designed for audio!    @Superdad has it working fine with the Spring 3 over i2s. I do not understand the problem you perceive. 

At some point, I may get a chance to test with my friends May DAC, but my Mercury is with @Superdad right now.  

Let's keep this thread  on course.  Reporting on actual testing, listening, etc. Speculation does us no good.

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Bob:

I owe you a phone call (been busy with family matters and travel). Am going to make another round of tests with the Mercury today in my system. It’s warming up as I write this. B|

—Alex C.

No Rush, I am  working on other stuff right now.  I still think we need to investigate adding the NVMe SSD drive and making a single box solution.  I lean towards LMS for that.