IGNORED

Ulitmate CD Ripping Machine - Pioneer S13J-X

• 1 year later...

AfterDark I read your article of this Pioneer S13-JX then went to your website, I maybe interested in purchasing your server with this Pioneer model installed , I have a large cd collection. The only music I stream is internet radio I am interested in changing my current server .

One thing I ask the photos of your server on your webpage are mediocre at best is it at all possible to post better photos of your server here ? 
Thank you 

surely all CD rips using error-checking are always bit perfect ? even if using a cheapo transport ??

I don’t understand how these sort of technologies can improve the quality of a rip, since all rips will either be 100% successful or a complete failure (in which case you just try again) ?

I have used many cheap transports and never had a failure or quality problem. I could understand that real-time playback (as opposed to batch ripping) might suffer from bit errors (if they exceed the transports own hardware error correction) but maybe I’m missing something here - if so could somebody explain ?

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

Krass what you say makes perfect sense and wondered the same thing , though could be something to it , this Pioneer model is a $1000.00 add on , the specs on their web page do not go into detail about the installation into their server . Anyway After Dark are a well respected company hopefully they find the time to reply to your query .

Hi! 

The special on this version is the drive is made with premium parts including the internal wire, copper screws and anti-absorb material. The big different is on the Pioneer software which comes with the drive for fine tuning on burning speed to lowest speed, switch off the LED activity light with Pureread 4+.

Pureread 4 is designed to capture the data from laser with best signal to noise. 

The software can alter the firmware inside the Pioneer drive to save the setting when it is boot up. This functions is quite unique for audiophile. 

We have the same questions before we purchase very first Pioneer drive for CD ripping for our big collections on Three Blind Mice CDs.

Since the CD-ripping process is requires a lot of efforts and takes months to complete. We wants a best drive to complete the job, for best sound quality and stability. 

Beforehand, we never know if this version makes any different to cheap transports. However, when we keep the same system and rip the CD again and compared, they makes a differents. We recommended to use the lowest speed for CD Ripping and it is worth while to try with different brand of CD drive. They do sound different even with the accuracy burn, which is always bit perfect. 

The error control with matrix is getting better when new hardwares of chips is implemented, some premium CD drive will adopt this new hardware first and usually improve the accuracy and reduce number of time of re-read on problem block, which in turns optimise the data capturing with less jitter. So, we keep upgrade this drive from time to time, to meet the highest standard on CD ripping. We have been using S07J-X to S13J-X, up to 7th generation since 10+ years ago when we just learn how to rip CD in proper ways. So, we are still quite enjoy the CD ripping process when we found some first issue CD on CD shops. 

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

On 4/28/2023 at 12:36 PM, AfterDark. said:

Hi! 

The special on this version is the drive is made with premium parts including the internal wire, copper screws and anti-absorb material. The big different is on the Pioneer software which comes with the drive for fine tuning on burning speed to lowest speed, switch off the LED activity light with Pureread 4+.

Pureread 4 is designed to capture the data from laser with best signal to noise. 

The software can alter the firmware inside the Pioneer drive to save the setting when it is boot up. This functions is quite unique for audiophile. 

We have the same questions before we purchase very first Pioneer drive for CD ripping for our big collections on Three Blind Mice CDs.

Since the CD-ripping process is requires a lot of efforts and takes months to complete. We wants a best drive to complete the job, for best sound quality and stability. 

Beforehand, we never know if this version makes any different to cheap transports. However, when we keep the same system and rip the CD again and compared, they makes a differents. We recommended to use the lowest speed for CD Ripping and it is worth while to try with different brand of CD drive. They do sound different even with the accuracy burn, which is always bit perfect. 

The error control with matrix is getting better when new hardwares of chips is implemented, some premium CD drive will adopt this new hardware first and usually improve the accuracy and reduce number of time of re-read on problem block, which in turns optimise the data capturing with less jitter. So, we keep upgrade this drive from time to time, to meet the highest standard on CD ripping. We have been using S07J-X to S13J-X, up to 7th generation since 10+ years ago when we just learn how to rip CD in proper ways. So, we are still quite enjoy the CD ripping process when we found some first issue CD on CD shops. 

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

thank you for taking the time to reply Adrian.

Are you saying my bit-perfect rip (made with a cheap transport) is different to your bit-perfect rip ?

If they are both bit-perfect (fully error corrected), then the resulting file (FLAC, AIFF, whatever) will be the same (lossless) rip and will sound the same, so I still fail to understand the purpose of a better transport in this process……

Of course, the software may make the ripping process easier, or quicker, or more enjoyable, but the claim that the resulting rip is somehow better or sounds different on playback just doesn’t make sense to me, and sounds like (at best) marketing and (at worst) misleading.

I’d really like to understand a competent, technical explanation if there is one ?

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

• 10 months later...

Does anyone have intimate experience with the Pioneer BDR-S13J-X? For the life of me, I cannot get this thing to power on (specifically, the blue light to come on and/or disc tray to open). I've tried using multiple SATA cables, DC power cables, power supplies and motherboards. I even bought a second S13J-X from Amazon to test against just in case the first was bad. No dice...

What am I missing here? Is there some sort of "mount protection/sensing" that is preventing it from turning on? I'm at my wits end and about to return both of these.    

Hi! littlej0e,

This is very rare case that both units was not working. Would you mind check the ATX power supply is fine and output with 12V and 5V DC on the power cable. The 12V is driving the motor and 5V is supply power for the motherboard inside CD-ROM.

There is some case, when 12V and 5V is reversed, misconnect from DIY SATA power cable for connecting CD-ROM, the motheboard inside will burned in a second. 

The CD ROM should work plug and play with connection of SATA cable and SATA power cable when the computer is turned on. The tray should be eject if the power is on even the sata data cable is not connected. 

If the tray is not eject at all, this unit may be DOA and we suggested to return both of the unit. 

Thanks and hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

21 hours ago, AfterDark. said:

Hi! littlej0e,

This is very rare case that both units was not working. Would you mind check the ATX power supply is fine and output with 12V and 5V DC on the power cable. The 12V is driving the motor and 5V is supply power for the motherboard inside CD-ROM.

There is some case, when 12V and 5V is reversed, misconnect from DIY SATA power cable for connecting CD-ROM, the motheboard inside will burned in a second. 

The CD ROM should work plug and play with connection of SATA cable and SATA power cable when the computer is turned on. The tray should be eject if the power is on even the sata data cable is not connected. 

If the tray is not eject at all, this unit may be DOA and we suggested to return both of the unit. 

Thanks and hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Adrian,

I cannot thank you enough for this information (and most importantly for the affirmation that I am indeed not batshit crazy lol). It seems like I hit the Pioneer CD-ROM jackpot and I will have to return both units.

However, I still need a good CD Ripper and given that you were the only person kind enough to help me, I'd like to buy one from you instead. Sending you a PM shortly. 

Thanks again for the information and guidance. 

- lj