IGNORED

Blu-Ray Drives: Quietest 5.25" Tray Models When Playing BD Movies

For my new "mid ("mini") tower pc build, I want to use a 5.25" BD drive to play BD movies via https://jriver.com/

Currently, I have free access to Panasonic SW-5584-C and Plextor PX-891SAF

BD drives.

Of course, with the tower several feet from my ears and with my surround sound system going I wouldn't expect much if any drive noise to be noticeable. However, have you used one or more specific models or brands of BD drives, which were found to consistently produce low mechanical or vibration noise when playing 1080p BD movies?

Conversely, which model drives have you found to generate very noticeable noise during BD movie playback?

Also do most BD drives get very warm when playing full length BD movies?

And/or have you noticed if your tower's case fans run any faster/noisier during BD movie playback?

Lastly, do you find that playing (never or rarely burning) BD movies more often on BD drives than playing them on your standalone BD player tends to shorten BD drive life?

Hard to answer, lots of variable here.

From my experience with regular CD drive, noise is varying depending on the use: sometimes the thing speeds up (after insertion mostly) then becomes quieter while reading a track.
The PC enclosure has impact too as noise can resonate inside.

As for the heat, it also depends: if the tower is well ventilated, no issue, if it's low speed fans, heat can build-up a bit more but usually the disc spin make air move in the drive, keeping it at a reasonable temperature.

I have a mini PC setup, with graphic card and a big 18cm fan on top to blow air inside and no issue. The whole thing is noisy when it starts (fans at full speed) then all fans slow down and it stay at low noise level for moderate use.

Hope this helps.