IGNORED

Really Inexpensive USB DAC

OK...I used to keep the 2-channel system in the Office; that way, I could listen while at the computer. Decided I'd rather be more focused on the music when I'm listening...so now they're in separate rooms.

But when I'm stuck at the computer...which is more than I'd like...all I have is half of a pair of crappy, old Klipsch computer speakers.

So I'm going to break down and get a pair of Audioengine A2s...for when I can't be in front of the good stuff. The A2s take a 3.5mm input, but I was thinking maybe I should get a decent, little cheapie USB DAC.

All I do is stream Rhapsody at the PC, so even something like an HRT II seems like overkill. Any thoughts...or given the source, will the 3.5mm jack sound as good as anything else not too expensive?

Thanks,

CD

(CD)Lehner "This whole world, is wild at heart...and weird on top" - Lula Pace Fortune

MAIN System- ALLO USBridge Signature> Denafrips ARES II> Audiolab 6000a> PMC Twenty-Five 21s

Hello,

When I'm at the office, I use a little $30 Behringer UCA202 audio interface. It has RCA in's and out's (fixed level) plus a 1/8" stereo headphone jack with volume control. The audio interface comes with a native ASIO driver and supports 16-bit wordsize (only) and both 44.1 and 48kHz sampling rates.

I use it with Windows 7 64-bit, Mediamonkey, and the ASIO plugin. To play Rhapsody tracks, I download the tracks to my hard drive first (requires a Rhapsody-to-Go subscription), and then have Mediamonkey scan the Rhapsody directory to add the tracks to its library. This seems to provide the best sound (no pops or dropouts) on my notebook.

I have the UCA202 connected to a Behringer MON800 which drives headphones and a pair of Yamaha MSP3 monitors. The system is modest, but works great for the office. Enjoy.

-- David

Thanks for the reco David; I'll keep an eye on that Behringer. This might sound silly, but since the A2 have volume, I'd almost prefer a device that was just fixed-out.

CD

(CD)Lehner "This whole world, is wild at heart...and weird on top" - Lula Pace Fortune

MAIN System- ALLO USBridge Signature> Denafrips ARES II> Audiolab 6000a> PMC Twenty-Five 21s

Theres various Chinese imports available on eBay including the Aune Mini DAC.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.