IGNORED

Building an Unregulated Linear Power Supply

elan120

4 hours ago, Exocer said:

@elan120 it is now early February. Do you have any interesting updates for us?

Also,do you plan to pick up the recently available Noratel transformer?

I have replaced my Toroidy with the Noratel but made some other changes in my chain that make a direct comparison impossible. What I will say is my system sounds the best it has ever sounded. Although the Toroidy was no slouch.

-Rob

Not too much other than similar to your experience, my system sounds the best thus far with the two power supplies I build near year end last year.  I have no plan to swap for the Noratel transformer at this point, but I am consider building another supply with it later this year.  I delayed my server build for another couple month, due to few other things I want to try, but once I am done with them, I will report back my findings on the new server.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd rather stack the server on top, did you consider that? You want the heat of the passive cooling to dissipate and convection drives it upwards.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

14 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I'd rather stack the server on top, did you consider that? You want the heat of the passive cooling to dissipate and convection drives it upwards.

My take was convection heat travels upwards. I am less concerned with the server preheating the air going to the the ULPS than the ULPS preheating the air going to the server since the server will already be running hot with upsampling. 

Also a nice secondary is the massive copper heatsink may provide an additional obstacle to EMI from the transformer in the case directly above. 

@MarcelNLeither way I guess it’s good the top holes is one case don’t really line up with the bottom holes of the other case they won’t direct port hot air from one to the other. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-Aluminum-HiFi-Speaker-Isolation-Stand-Feet-Base-Pad-Ceramic-Bead-Anti-shock-/373760117444?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I have taller feet to separate the cases since the stock feet aren’t tall enough. They split into an upper and lower half so the top half will stay mounted to the ULPS and lower half mounted to the server. Dampening and perfect alignment each time there are stacked. 

The server is also getting those feet to elevate it so it traps less hot air below it. 

Other random touches: copper washers on all the screw terminals and copper screws. I just ordered the copper screws today now that I know the dimensions. M5x8mm for the 22,000 capacitor and M6x10mm for 47,000 capacitor. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-9-Pure-Copper-ISO7380-Hex-Socket-Bolts-Button-Head-Screws-M3-M4-M5-M6-/185146765196?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SHYWDFK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_C5DE7T0N3AKNGV74S3V4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It's not about the holes, but the heatsinks. I can easily see a temperature difference when airflow is unhindered underneath and above my 300W heatsink for the CPU versus when something is blocking it.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some time ago I asked a similar question to the guy from Paul Hynes Design Ltd and he told me that in the centre of a toriodal transformer the effect of a (steel) bolt is negligible. It is best to use the bolt because the transformer is heavy. 

• 3 weeks later...

Biggest question in my mind is whether the EPS should be short as heck or the 24 pin...

3 hours ago, Nenon said:

Someone is really taking short wires to extreme levels. Nice. 

image.thumb.png.4c43ec68c06a2d6373fa99178b381dca.png

Thanks. My original plan was to put the Taiko ATX copper side up directly above the 24-Pin but with the RAM there it would limit how close I can get the Taiko so I decided it probably wouldn’t be any shorter than this for way more hassle. 

Those wires are each 4.5 cm long and I used a marker as a die to uniformly form them all into a U shape before inserting them in into the connector. 

For one of the EPS cables routings I could have shaved a few cm with this pathway but the thought didn’t occur to me until just now. 

0EEA5EF8-8701-42C9-82B5-BB4CF884680B.thumb.jpeg.725881d9882007c1f9ef9c67d0c95664.jpeg