IGNORED

Native DSD Album of the Year nominations

Cast your vote here; https://www.nativedsd.com/news/albums-of-the-year-2021-nominations-part-1/

Category Vocals;

spacer.png 

This album features 9 classic songs that will be familiar to music fans everywhere. 

spacer.png

The album takes on the character of a long form story rather than a series of tracks, making for some compelling listening. Wonderfully recorded, this is a release you will want to experience.

spacer.png

The album contains performances of a host of standards from composers George Gershwin, Cole Porter, Lester Young, Abbey Lincoln, and Jule Styne. The album was one of the year’s best sellers at NativeDSD Music.  

Category: NEW ORLEANS JAZZ;

spacer.png

Their rendition of St. James Infirmary on this album, recorded Live with an audience using Sound Liaison’s One Microphone Recording technique captures the New Orleans Jazz sound perfectly.  One NativeDSD customer referred to the album as “Phenomenal.”  I agree – I love this album from start to finish.

spacer.png                           

It starts with Darktown Strutters’ Ball by Shelton Brooks. A happy song from the early 20th Century. Catchy and easily remembered. It sounds just like the ideal album opener.

Jazz Duo

spacer.png

Chemistry between musicians is a magical thing. Michael Moore and Paul Berner have that kind of magic. When they play, the music seems to flow in a natural unhindered stream, each note being an obvious continuation of what was played before. Recorded with One Microphone by Sound Liaison’s Frans de Rond, Amulet is the kind of album that lends itself to this recording technique

spacer.png

This is another one of Sound Liaison’s minimally mic’d recordings. Soft Shoulders features flugelhorn player Ack van Rooyen accompanied by pianist Juraj Stanik. In this case, van Rooyen’s Flugelhorn appears in the Right Channel and Stanik’s Piano is in the Left Channel. The album features 10 well known standards played simply with just horn and piano. It is an excellent recording and a fine musical performance.

Jazz Piano

spacer.png

Playing music that some have described as Post-Bop and Avant-Garde Jazz. It is different from the Bob James that many knew – or thought they knew.  But it is very enjoyable Jazz and well worth adding to your Jazz collection.

spacer.png

Donegan’s playing, backed by bassist Jerome Hunter and drummer Ray Mosca, is energetic, forceful, and yes – explosive! Add in her vocals and you have a fast paced and enjoyable journey into her world of Jazz piano.

spacer.png

It is a fine album full of excellent Jazz performances.  Love You Madly quickly became a #1 Best Seller at NativeDSD Music in 2021. When you listen to the album, there is no doubt why.

Classical;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Choral;

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...

It's a nice list but how "Nola' and "Up jumped the devil" didn't win is beyond me.

spacer.png

"This is some of the best sounding drum sound I have ever heard on a recording. Very dynamic and not reserved. The sound of the double bass is full, rich and powerful where needed but with no hint of bloat. And the guitar.....It is clear and reverberant. Naturally, not with added reverb. Of course, the vocals are captured beautifully. Carmen is right there in front of you. This recording doesn’t take you to the recording studio. Even better, it brings the recording studio to your listening room. Very few studio recordings do this. The drums to the left, Carmen in the middle in front of the instruments and the bass just to the right of her and the guitar to the right side of the soundstage. The sound is totally three dimensional. You almost feel like you can reach out and touch everyone. The sound is totally open with natural decay and depth. It is stunning. It really is. No hyperbole."....

Read the whole review at the website of Audiophile Style: 

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/sound-liaison-one-mic-recording-r957/

Indeed. 

I was not thinking in terms of label. Just albums. 

Those 2 have been on my server all the year and getting as much play time as my old time favorites.

I like the Patricia Barber album too, I am a big fan, I have all her albums,  but in terms of music, sound and overall concept the Carmen Gomes album is superior. Same goes for the NOLA album. 

But of course music is completely subjective so I encourage anyone to disagree.

And I do applaud the Native DSD annual album of the year competition, it is a nice way of being made aware of new music.

I think it is great that we still have so many choices of recordings with compelling content and great sound. I really enjoy the Nola album and think that considering all aspects such as sound quality and music, it is the best overall SL recording to date. As for the Clique album, we will just have to agree to disagree PAP. Completely different recording techniques which is great, more than one way to skin a cat. I just find the music to be more compelling. Again, it is great to have so many new choices these days,

51 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

I think it is great that we still have so many choices of recordings with compelling content and great sound. <snip> Again, it is great to have so many new choices these days,

Couldn't agree more!

Buying new music gives me so much more pleasure than buying new equipment...

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

On 1/23/2022 at 3:50 PM, JoeWhip said:

I think it is great that we still have so many choices of recordings with compelling content and great sound. I really enjoy the Nola album and think that considering all aspects such as sound quality and music, it is the best overall SL recording to date. As for the Clique album, we will just have to agree to disagree PAP. Completely different recording techniques which is great, more than one way to skin a cat. I just find the music to be more compelling. Again, it is great to have so many new choices these days,

I agree.

And don't get me wrong I really like the Clique album, I play it often, as I said I am a big fan of Patricia, but it's probably me having listened too much to side B of Abbey Road as a kid that has made me love concept albums and as such Up Jumped the Devil is a stand out;

and as you wrote in your excellent review of the album 

The sound is totally three dimensional. You almost feel like you can reach out and touch everyone. The sound is totally open with natural decay and depth. It is stunning. Sound Liaison One Mic + Recording by Joe Whip

It is kind of addictive but also very different to more conventional sound.

But......if Clique hadn't been up against Up jumped I wouldn't have said anything. it is a great album.

I guess I am just so impressed by the; 

Up Jumped The Devil Discovering the Music of Blues Legend Robert Johnson
By framing each of Robert Johnson’s songs with small instrumental miniatures, Carmen Gomes Inc. have created an album that sounds like an imaginary road movie

that I think they deserve a price.

But maybe  I should have keept in mind the words of one of the masters Thelonious Monk; '' talking about music is like dancing about architecture''. 😄

And you are right Joe it has been a great year for good sounding recordings we should all cheris that.

I voted but the other costumers  didn't agree with me either. My top three would have been:

spacer.png

Incredible music. I didn't know this composer but what a find!

His Violin Concerto is as passionate as the concertos by Bloch and Walton … and as melodious. The emotions are grown-up and delve deep in a way that may also remind you of Vaughan Williams and Rózsa.

Read more: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2009/aug09/Kleiberg_concertos_2L59.htm#ixzz7JfxQvhMx

spacer.png 

I think this album will become a modern classic. It's a real statement. And that they get away with such a fundamentally different approach to the blues is very refreshing.

If you're expecting something traditional, you're going to be surprised. These are not the acoustic blues we hear from Johnson's own recordings, nor the electric renditions of Eric Clapton. These are a unique treatment bringing the combined talents of the band members in a sometimes dreamy, frequently atmospheric, always sultry blend of voice, guitar, bass, and percussion.

spacer.png

This girl can play the trumpet. Somebody go tell Wynton and the Lincoln Orchestra that Ellister has arrived! and as Joe says;

On 1/23/2022 at 3:50 PM, JoeWhip said:

I really enjoy the Nola album and think that considering all aspects such as sound quality and music, it is the best overall SL recording to date.

• 10 months later...
On 12/27/2021 at 11:14 PM, bmoura said:

Ray! by Carmen Gomes Inc. was released earlier today at NativeDSD.Com

It's a good one!

https://www.nativedsd.com/product/sl1052a-ray/

Ray - SL1052A-500x500.jpg

It's nominated for album of the year 2022. Last chance to vote is before Friday.; 2022 Album of the Year – Nominations

"

One of the year’s best-selling albums at NativeDSD this year, Ray! rocketed up our Top Selling DSD Best Sellers chart in days and dominated the best sellers list for weeks and weeks. The album stars the popular and talented Carmen Gomes and her ensemble. Gomes uses the album to put her distinctive vocals and style on favorites including The Sun Is Gonna Shine Again, Georgia On My Mind, Willow Weep For Me and Makin’ Whoopee. Recorded in Stereo DXD and mastered to Analog Tape, this album is one you will savor again and again.

"

• 1 month later...