IGNORED

Monitor Audio Gold 300 (5G) vs Monitor Audio Platinum 200 II

I did have a demo with the Platinums 200 (2G) at home but had to place them more than 2,5 feet from the back wall not having too much 'boom'...

So therefore I am very curious about the differences in placing between the Gold 300 and the Platinum 200.

And I am still curious about your listening experience with these Platinum (but don't hurry up 😉)

21 hours ago, dericchan1 said:

Hints - these are definitely keepers for at least the next 10 years. And sq difference between 6G silver vs 5G gold are much closer than sq difference between 5G gold and the platinum. 

But it seems hard for me to compare the Gold 300 with the Platinum 200's if you didn't have the Gold 300's at home?

And you're telling us the difference between the Silver and Gold is smaller than the difference between the Gold and Platinum??

I auditioned the Gold 200 alongside the Platinum 200 (unfortunately the dealer didn't have the Gold 300): the biggest difference I found in the mids (the Platinums where more layered and therefore better separation between mids and highs). Also the lower frequencies were more precise over the Gold 200.

18 minutes ago, Vhond said:

I did have a demo with the Platinums 200 (2G) at home but had to place them more than 2,5 feet from the back wall not having too much 'boom'...

So therefore I am very curious about the differences in placing between the Gold 300 and the Platinum 200.

And I am still curious about your listening experience with these Platinum (but don't hurry up 😉)

But it seems hard for me to compare the Gold 300 with the Platinum 200's if you didn't have the Gold 300's at home?

And you're telling us the difference between the Silver and Gold is smaller than the difference between the Gold and Platinum??

I auditioned the Gold 200 alongside the Platinum 200 (unfortunately the dealer didn't have the Gold 300): the biggest difference I found in the mids (the Platinums where more layered and therefore better separation between mids and highs). Also the lower frequencies were more precise over the Gold 200.

Unfortunately, I only auditioned the gold 300 5g at the store in a well treated room for 2 hours as I was previously interested in the gold and never really paid much attention to the platinum.

To me the gold gives you a hint of what to expect from the Platinum, but indeed are much closer to the silver. (which are excellent speakers for the price)

If you are concern about being too closed to the wall, you can always insert the port bungs at the back.

So far the biggest difference I noticed so far is 1) the gold 300 might have a bit “more” bass with its dual 2x8” woofers but the lower frequencies in the PL200ii are tighter with more control

2) the PL200ii is pretty much dead neutral and is superb in clarity and detail. I played Jazz at the Pawnshop last night, and was amazed at the clarity of the new system. In the past all I could hear in the background was the crowd chatting away. (Almost just like a background noise) In the new system, I could actually hear what the crowd was talking about in the background!!! 

this level of clarity was not seen in my ma silver at home or the gold I auditioned at the store

I was previously using the duelund dca12ga cast speaker cables for the MA silver 300. Since I have now pulled the speakers further out I needed a longer run. My buddy brought me a pair of older transparent musicwave and a pair of Inakustic reference LS502 cables to try. I found the Inakustic cables slightly warmer, fuller character matched slightly better with the neutral sounding PL200ii and the nuprime amplifier. The rca red plates 5692 tubes in the Freya + also helps with adding a sense of warmth and smoothness to the system.

The system is sounding really good so far!!

Nobody asked me, but I just wanted to offer my experience: I hear the port bungs as detrimental to the speed and clarity of the bass. Compared to how the speakers sound without the ports blocked, adding the bungs took the life out of bass lines (listening to rock, pop, electronica, and jazz). 

I tried the bungs in a variety of configs, inserted fully or partially, top/bottom only, and just always felt they made things worse. But I listen for what I listen for - YMMV and you may like them! You may find bass more compatible with your mids with the bungs inserted. (And/or you may not be able to move the speakers out from the wall enough to avoid using the bungs.)

Anyway, just my $0.02 on what I think are fabulous speakers. I've the 500 silver, a friend has the 300 silver and we think these are some of the most under-rated best buys in floorstanders.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

21 minutes ago, feelingears said:

Nobody asked me, but I just wanted to offer my experience: I hear the port bungs as detrimental to the speed and clarity of the bass. Compared to how the speakers sound without the ports blocked, adding the bungs took the life out of bass lines (listening to rock, pop, electronica, and jazz). 

I tried the bungs in a variety of configs, inserted fully or partially, top/bottom only, and just always felt they made things worse. But I listen for what I listen for - YMMV and you may like them! You may find bass more compatible with your mids with the bungs inserted. (And/or you may not be able to move the speakers out from the wall enough to avoid using the bungs.)

Anyway, just my $0.02 on what I think are fabulous speakers. I've the 500 silver, a friend has the 300 silver and we think these are some of the most under-rated best buys in floorstanders.

Agreed the 6G silver series are fabulous speakers, especially used price have gone down dramatically since being discontinued!!

i used the

bungs when I had the silver 300, 3ft away from the front wall, but I also had my 2 15” PSA subs, so  bass was never an issue for me.