IGNORED

Audiopraise VanityPRO

This is how I'm using the VanityPRO

I primarily have a stereo based music system. However, from time to time I have wanted to add a center channel for movies and for the big game when friends and family come over. I fell like I can't here the people clearly and find myself raising the lower the volume of the entire system to compensate. Also, I just don't like the idea of the TV down mixing the multichannel tracks down to two channels and then having to run that audio into the stereo.

image.png.cceb82c696b51b53a8a716d2df4d2588.png 

What I have decided to do is run L/R right channels into my main DAC, amplifier, and speakers. Then I run the center channel into a dedicated integrated amplifier with digital input, and speaker. Both of these signal paths have volume control built into the amp so I can easily adjust things to my liking and needs.  

Let me know how you might use the VanityPRO?

22 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Option 5 - multichannel I2S output module with CMOS 3.3V levels

Seems you have some inside information 😀

Suggestion of what HW that can use this signal ? Google didn’t serve me well. 

I wonder if Audioprase is planning USB out as well. Or even better, a (fiber) network output ?

Then one could connect HMDI to Sonore Rendu’s. 

BTW With SACD players you would have to read the manuals and assure bit streaming without any conversation if you DSD sent to the unit.  

With an Apple TV or equal as an endpoint streaming DSD I would experiment with a DAC that accepts DoP via it’s SPDIF or AES-EBU input. If your DAC doesn’t support DoP then using the unit’s onboard DSD to PCM converter is an excellent alternative.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Seems you have some inside information 😀

Suggestion of what HW that can use this signal ? Google didn’t serve me well. 

I wonder if Audioprase is planning USB out as well. Or even better, a (fiber) network output ?

Then one could connect HMDI to Sonore Rendu’s. 

I have not seen that output module yet, but potencially any of the LVDS i2s input DACs. You would need more than one DAC for mutichannel though. I have to ask what the connector format will be and what format speacification (PS Audio spec most likely) it will be comaptible with.  

Last night I streamed an action movie from Netflix on the Apple TV through the VanityPro and it is a very effective multichannel audio extractor. Having independent control of the center channel was wonderful. The center channel was clear and balanced even during action scenes. Matching the volume of the l/r channels with the center channel was a wow moment because I have been missing a lot from the movie experience. Next up is the game today…

44 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Or a single multichannel DAC with a multichannel output version of the VanityPro.

EDIT:  With a multichannel output version of the VanityPro, one can use multiple stereo DACs or one can use a single multichannel DAC like the Okto DAC8Pro.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Next up is the game today…

So at least the game today streamed via Hulu on the Apple TV appears to be broadcast in stereo only:( The stereo channel out of the VanityPRO is sounding very nice though so no harm.

I think the big game might be broadcast in 5.1 channels. 

I have been chatting with Audiopraise and they are willing to allow Sonore to make custom output modules. 

Let me know if there is any interest in an output module that provides multichannel LVDS i2s output via HDMI connectors. This configuration would support multiple stereo DACs to make a very nice surround sound system for music and movies.

4 hours ago, svart-hvitt said:

Does the VanityPRO accept EARC/ARC from the TV?

I can’t of cause say for sure, but since it supports CEA-861-D that corresponds with HMDI 1.3, I guess no. 
ARC came with HDMI 1.4. 

However my guess is that nothing stops Audioprase to accept the ARC signal on pin 14. Hope they answer.

”The VanityPRO is built on a completely programmable processing and control platform utilizing a medium size FPGA and a 32-bit processor. New features and functionality can be added at any time….”