IGNORED

Audiopraise VanityPRO

This is how I'm using the VanityPRO

I primarily have a stereo based music system. However, from time to time I have wanted to add a center channel for movies and for the big game when friends and family come over. I fell like I can't here the people clearly and find myself raising the lower the volume of the entire system to compensate. Also, I just don't like the idea of the TV down mixing the multichannel tracks down to two channels and then having to run that audio into the stereo.

image.png.cceb82c696b51b53a8a716d2df4d2588.png 

What I have decided to do is run L/R right channels into my main DAC, amplifier, and speakers. Then I run the center channel into a dedicated integrated amplifier with digital input, and speaker. Both of these signal paths have volume control built into the amp so I can easily adjust things to my liking and needs.  

Let me know how you might use the VanityPRO?

BTW With SACD players you would have to read the manuals and assure bit streaming without any conversation if you DSD sent to the unit.  

With an Apple TV or equal as an endpoint streaming DSD I would experiment with a DAC that accepts DoP via it’s SPDIF or AES-EBU input. If your DAC doesn’t support DoP then using the unit’s onboard DSD to PCM converter is an excellent alternative.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Seems you have some inside information 😀

Suggestion of what HW that can use this signal ? Google didn’t serve me well. 

I wonder if Audioprase is planning USB out as well. Or even better, a (fiber) network output ?

Then one could connect HMDI to Sonore Rendu’s. 

I have not seen that output module yet, but potencially any of the LVDS i2s input DACs. You would need more than one DAC for mutichannel though. I have to ask what the connector format will be and what format speacification (PS Audio spec most likely) it will be comaptible with.  

Last night I streamed an action movie from Netflix on the Apple TV through the VanityPro and it is a very effective multichannel audio extractor. Having independent control of the center channel was wonderful. The center channel was clear and balanced even during action scenes. Matching the volume of the l/r channels with the center channel was a wow moment because I have been missing a lot from the movie experience. Next up is the game today…

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Next up is the game today…

So at least the game today streamed via Hulu on the Apple TV appears to be broadcast in stereo only:( The stereo channel out of the VanityPRO is sounding very nice though so no harm.

I think the big game might be broadcast in 5.1 channels. 

I have been chatting with Audiopraise and they are willing to allow Sonore to make custom output modules. 

Let me know if there is any interest in an output module that provides multichannel LVDS i2s output via HDMI connectors. This configuration would support multiple stereo DACs to make a very nice surround sound system for music and movies.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been using the Apple TV 4K and it’s streaming multichannel PCM (up to 8 channels) and stereo PCM interchangeably based on source content. 

The short answer about Atmos is that it’s not supported. This is based on my understanding that all the devices in the audio chain need to support Atmos. Unfortunately, I don’t think the Atmos protocol allows the source to decoded Atmos content and stream it as PCM. This device is really intended for PCM and DSD streaming.

I don’t have a list for you, but some of the video apps tell you if they have 5.1 audio. I have not seen 7.1 content on the Apple TV 4K, but I have not been looking for it. A source like a BluRay player could provide audio or audio/video with multichannel. 

4 hours ago, Rex95 said:

Very interesting product! Nearly exactly what I’ve been looking for to complement my genelecs. 

Anyone know how the following can work or if there is a workaround:

1. Streaming music, if I understand correctly you need a hdmi source to extract the music from. Usually for entertaining I want to listend to something else than What’s being shown on TV. If The vanityPRO had a usb in and a way to switch the inputs (maybe even an automatic “if x input being used it automatically switches”. Is there any workaround or future version to cover this? What source does current owners use for listening to music? 

2. Is there any plan to implement HDMI 2.1 in a future version? 4K120Hz/8K owners/users are few but exist. 

3. To optimise it’s output signal I guess battery’s/LPSUs will be needed?

4. I’m confused about the clock ports. Have not seen any video streamer with clock input. What would the clock outputs be used for? 

Not sure about about 1 and 2, but I not heard about them. On 3 I supplied Chris with a unit and two inexpensive linear power supplies. I tested the unit with those power supplies and it performed very well. Of course one can experiment with different power supplies. On 4 you can use the clock output to sync the external DACs.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I should have an article about this done this week. Let me know what things people want me to try. So far this thing is really cool. 

DSD playback with conversion to PCM into your Berkeley DAC….please and thank you.

22 hours ago, DigiPete said:

I'm really interested in what it takes to stream surround media through this thing.
AVR's are crap and unreasonable expensive on top.

Questions:

• How little HW can we get away with, if we just want the 5.1 or 7.1 PCM out of the different music and video streaming services?
  • What are the best little streamers (mentioned above)?
  • Can anything "fake" the streaming service to deliver (probably) Atmos, so we can extract the PCM? 
  • And how high quality can we get from the different combinations?

Funny, I really just wanna pay for streaming . . .
But I may be forced rip / download surround streaming to benefit.
All driven by the same stupid paranoia as in the Napster days.
I hope there is a way!

It’s hard to answer everything because there are endless combinations so take these as brief answers only. For video I’m just using an Apple TV and it’s apps. For audio let’s wait for Chris’ review to see what he comes up with. I’m not an Atmos expert, but my gut feeling is that it may be hard to fake. The current product specs are as follows: Up to 8-channel 192kHz/24bit PCM and 6-channel DSD64 audio extraction.