IGNORED

How to connect a USB-c Ipad to the DAC inputs of an Audiophile 6000a

So, I wish to use the excellent DAC of my Audiolab 6000a amplifier. I am streaming Applemusic Hi-res from an iPad. The 6000a has Toslink and digital coaxial inputs. What do I need to make this connection. Do I need an external DAC to connect to the analogue rca inputs of the 6000a? I want to get the best quality, i.e 24 bit 192khtz. Thanks

1 hour ago, navillus65 said:

So, I wish to use the excellent DAC of my Audiolab 6000a amplifier. I am streaming Applemusic Hi-res from an iPad. The 6000a has Toslink and digital coaxial inputs. What do I need to make this connection. Do I need an external DAC to connect to the analogue rca inputs of the 6000a? I want to get the best quality, i.e 24 bit 192khtz. Thanks

You need a USB to S/PDIF converter, but the trick will be getting one that works with the iPad that has USB C.

With my old iPad that had a lightning connector I used the lightning to USB and power adapter, to connect to a USB to S/PDIF converter then into my DAC. Because the USB to S/PDIF converter pulled power from the iPad, I had to make sure external power was connected to the lightning to USB adapter before connecting it to the iPad and DAC. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This

Could be a simple solution if you could compromise on 16/44.

Or Topping D10 as DAC /USB to SPDIF converter (not wireless)

There are even cheaper WiFi or Airplay to SPDIf/Toslink chez Amazon.

However, at that price point you may find a Wi-Fi DAC like the NAD wireless USB DAC 2 interesting.

Only caveat - afaik - hi-res WiFi streaming at 192/24 is still expensive.

Best, Tom

1 minute ago, DuckToller said:

This

However, at that price point you may find a Wi-Fi DAC like the NAD wireless USB DAC 2 interesting.

Best, Tom

Link?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 hours ago, DuckToller said:

This

Best, Tom

This is the solution, and answer to my question as I want to maintain the highest bitrate, so airplay and especially bluetooth was not an option. This. is a fair price to pay for a wired connection and as expected, a simple direct wire is not possible. I'll order today. Just a side point, you say 192/24 is expensive? I assumed it impossible, and something for the future.  Have a great day

2 hours ago, navillus65 said:

Just a side point, you say 192/24 is expensive? I assumed it impossible, and something for the future.

I had noticed the ELECTROCOMPANIET

RENA S-1 is promoted as capable at about 1.7k $ and dismissed it due to its price as affordable solution for your problem. 

Afaik, ifi IDSD pro signature, devialet and dCS may have such wireless solutions as well.

Pls noted that most documentation says up to 192 but refers to both - WiFi and Ethernet - imho marketing magic.

Otoh, I doubt these pricey options would help you as you may have chosen a golden cage inside the Apple universe with hi-res over iPad which even doesn't provide the sufficient on-board technology (Airplay2) for hi-res streaming yet.