IGNORED

In response to an email you may have received from Roon Labs today

In response to an email you may have received from Roon Labs today, the upcoming version of Roon Core works well with sonicTransporter version 2.8, and the libicu is already installed.

All Sonore Roon Ready Players (microRendu, ultraRendu, opticalRendu, Signature Rendu SE) will also continue to work with Roon.  

Roon contacted us about 5 months ago and we worked with their engineers to make sure we had everything required for the next version of Roon.

If you have not upgraded your sonicTransporter to sonicorbiter version 2.8, follow the upgrade instructions on the sonicorbiter.com FAQ.

Just tried updating my Sonic Transporter i5 from 2.7 to 2.8. It was all going so well.....I keyed in the relevant UPC address and the update started as advertised. How exciting!

And then it abruptly reached the end of 'Stage 1' of the update.  And I haven't succeeded in starting 'Stage 2'. Waiting for further instructions....until then I'm in limbo.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

13 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

Waiting for further instructions....until then I'm in limbo.

Did you reboot and try update again ? (I think The instructions was quite clear if I remember correctly. You may read them one more time). 

3) Reboot and run the 2.8 upgrade again by entering the same address again as before so be sure it has /upgrade28.php at end.

Again; once you enter this URL the upgrade will start. Reboot when it’s finished and your version should now show 2.8. Congratulations!

Well the instructions don't actually mention the 2 stage installation as such, but I eventually figured that out and got to stage 2 and waited for that to complete.

At the end of the installation my ST failed to reboot. I turned off and back on again. Now it is not connecting with my network......Left it off all night and it still won't connect this morning.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

12 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

Well the instructions don't actually mention the 2 stage installation as such, but I eventually figured that out and got to stage 2 and waited for that to complete.

At the end of the installation my ST failed to reboot. I turned off and back on again. Now it is not connecting with my network......Left it off all night and it still won't connect this morning.

Me too.. Mine said it finished stage 2, I rebooted, and nothing, no more connection to sonicorbiter, its ip address does not respond. Rebooted, left it on all day, still no connection. I have no clue what to do next. 

1 hour ago, Vincent C said:

Me too.. Mine said it finished stage 2, I rebooted, and nothing, no more connection to sonicorbiter, its ip address does not respond. Rebooted, left it on all day, still no connection. I have no clue what to do next. 

Vincent, it sounds like you and I have had an identical experience (horrible) with this software upgrade on the Sonic Transporter. Like you, I have no clue as to why my STi5 no longer connects to my home network. I called Andrew this morning and he suggested that 'there must be something wrong with my STi5' so I should send it back to him for analysis / repair.

Aside from the obvious pain of being without my primary music source for an extended period, I'm having a very hard time understanding how and why it went from performing absolutely normally one minute, and then it's suddenly non-functional as soon as I did the 2.8 update. I'll refrain from expressing how frustrating this is.

My instinct tells me that this must be some kind of IP / networking cock-up. Unfortunately it's very hard finding information that normal human beings can understand to resolve networking issues.  Basically, we're buggered. I shall probably continue to try futzing around and will also see if anyone on the Roon Community site has any useful advice.

@R1200CL, yes I used the correct IP address, and the sonicorbiter.com site has no solutions

1 hour ago, OldBigEars said:

so I should send it back to him for analysis / repair.

The quickest (and cheapest) solution is if Andrew shipping you a new disk 😀

Also, you could attach a screen and keyboard and see what happens during boot. (With Andrew on phone). Memory test can also bee run. 

If you have an other SSD laying around, you could use that for testing as well.

My i5 had a faulty disk once. My friend has same problem. If you open the i5, you will probably  find a “no name” disk. 

I ran the two stage update a second time (this time it seemed to take a lot longer and downloaded a lot more files).  And it worked (phew)!  I can’t speak for the experience of others but if anyone has the same issue as me, I suggest you just try repeating the upgrade process.  There must have been a problem with my first attempt.  

5 hours ago, MM said:

I ran the two stage update a second time (this time it seemed to take a lot longer and downloaded a lot more files).  And it worked (phew)!  I can’t speak for the experience of others but if anyone has the same issue as me, I suggest you just try repeating the upgrade process.  There must have been a problem with my first attempt.  

I’d certainly like to try repeating the upgrade process but sadly my STi5 no longer connects to the internet or my home network. 

11 hours ago, R1200CL said:

The quickest (and cheapest) solution is if Andrew shipping you a new disk 😀

Also, you could attach a screen and keyboard and see what happens during boot. (With Andrew on phone). Memory test can also bee run. 

If you have an other SSD laying around, you could use that for testing as well.

My i5 had a faulty disk once. My friend has same problem. If you open the i5, you will probably  find a “no name” disk. 

Not sure what you mean by a new disk. My oR has a small disk, of course. Never knew the STi5 has one too.  I’ll take a look tonight. 

On 10/20/2021 at 9:08 AM, OldBigEars said:

I took a quick pic of the log when I attempted to boot it with a monitor attached, and these messages came up briefly.. There are lots of hits on the interweb about this, it seems it is a bug in Linux appending to the kernel command line preventing the system from booting. Grub exits with the error message free magic is broken at 0x3cec8166: 0xcfc53e26 (The actual addresses vary). But what do I know? I just follow the update instructions, I'm not a programmer.

Andrew, appearing rushed, sent me the following, so I"ll do that. 

"Send it in for service.

Andrew Gillis

XXX
Bedford, NH 

Put a copy of this email in the box so I know what it's for and write your return address on a piece of paper so I know where to ship it back to.

-Andrew"

IMG_8526.jpeg