IGNORED

Tweak my Cisco or get a tweaked Meraki

al2813

Finally I got to the point I want to improve my switch. I read too many posts telling me that instead of looking for endless tweaks on my Audio PC, the quickest win is to deal with the switch. In parallel, I am finally able to solder simple stuff myself (VERY simple for now.....), so time to try and I need advice. 

I have a Cisco 2960 I got some time back for almost no money. I see another option that there's a guy in the Netherlands that sells already tweaked Meraki for 300 EUR. Any advices to give? 

If tweak the 2960, is there a guide (a real step by step - am a real novice in this stuff) that someone can send me? 

The only tweak I'm aware of is to remove the SMPS and replace it with an external LPS. There's no soldering required unless you roll your own DC cables. You'll need a digital multi meter to check connection configuration unless you're careful with your wiring from the LPS to the Switch.

I don't have my gear handy as it's packed and being moved right now. But basically you'll remove the switch cover and then disconnect the internal SMPS board (where the power cord plugs in). It is held in place with 4 screws and has a 4 wire cable terminated with a Molex plug powering the main board. You need to be sure which connections are + and -. You can get a new Molex and crimp on connectors from Mouser or electronic store to modify your power cable. Use Star Quad wire (like Canare 4S6) for your power wire. Again, check all your power connections before you power up.

The only other tweak is vibration control.

Maybe someone else could confirm the Molex size, but it is a common item.