IGNORED

JCAT Optimo Nano – review

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
27 minutes ago, Elberoth said:

I have recently built two servers using Optimo Nano super regulator - one based on Jcat XE USB card and a second one based on Pink Faun Ultra OCXO. 

In both cases the results were SIMPLY STUNNING.

Not only it betters fancy external linear PSUs, but also allows for a simpler system, with one less box and associated cabling to worry about.  

Glad you found similar to me... I think the nano does better than many external linear supplies, perhaps not the upper echelon ones, but it does very well and easily resulted in me selling my Teddy Pardo.

Very interesting !  Do you think this small board will better à Sean Jacobs DC 3 psu ? 

This is what I use now to power my JCAT lan card .

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

Great, look forward to that. What about the Nano compared to the Initio 3? Or maybe JCAT can put the Nano sound qualities in writing here? 

As a reference, if that can help, Jay @ Audiobacon described the Initio 3, compared to Optimo. Of course YMMV depending AC-cables or DC-cables or dc-atx converter (in case of JCAT Nano)

But if this person is going to publish a review soon I would love to hear when compared to or synergy with other psu's. look forward to it. There is not much to find about the Nano yet.

https://audiobacon.net/2021/08/06/the-worlds-best-audiophile-linear-power-supplies/15/

Comparisons

vs. JCAT Optimo 3 Duo

• The Initio 3 is not as dark or rich as the Optimo
  • Initio 3 is more laid back and leaner than the Optimo
  • Optimo has more depth and is much more dynamic
  • Optimo has more top-end energy. Initio is more mellow.

vs. HDPLEX 300W

• Initio 3 has more bass
  • Initio 3 has more body and is smoother
  • HDPLEX has more rawness and lower level textures

On 4/25/2022 at 6:06 AM, Elberoth said:

I have recently built two servers using Optimo Nano super regulator - one based on Jcat XE USB card and a second one based on Pink Faun Ultra OCXO. 

In both cases the results were SIMPLY STUNNING.

Not only it betters fancy external linear PSUs, but also allows for a simpler system, with one less box and associated cabling to worry about.  

Hi ,

To better understand, you used the Optimo nano directly connected to a Teradack ATX or is there an ATX-DC converter in between?

20 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

I have owned a HDPlex 500w and I can tell you that the JCAT Optimo Nano was a decent improvement over the HDPlex for powering my USB XE.

ok, meaning comparable to HDplex 500 but a little better I understand, but not night and day. Like the other user who had a simply stunning experience. I am just trying to interpret both your experiences in sound quality improvement, not always easy ;-)

1 hour ago, di-fi said:

To better understand, you used the Optimo nano directly connected to a Teradack ATX or is there an ATX-DC converter in between?

Both servers that I have recently built had DC-ATX DC/DC converters. 

My own server with Teradak full linear ATX psu uses Mojo Audio super regulator (based on Belleson regulator) - it works the same way as Jcat Optimo Nano (Molex in to Molex Out). 

I had the Mojo Audio super regulator long before Jcat Nano became available - and yes, the improvement over Teradak ATX PSU on the Molex rail was substantial. 

PS. Updated my signature.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Yes, this is how both of those superregulators (Jcat Nano and MojoAudio) work. They source the power from the internal Molex connector and output regulated voltage to another Molex connector. If you have the USB card connected with the internal power via Molex, you just slip those in.

PinkFaun Ultra OCXO USB card sounds better in my system (on both Lampizator Pacific and Topping D90) than Jcat XE USB - as it should at 2x the price. 

I bought the Ultra OCXO after trying it in my system, but two of my friends for whom I recently built custom servers decided the Jcat XE USB is "great enough". I guess it boils down to how much you are prepared to spend. 

I did not have a chance to compare the MojoAudio superregulator to Jcat Nano superregulator just yet - but looking at specs of the Belleson regulator MojoAudio is based on vs the LT3045 Jcat Nano is based on, I think the Jcat Nano has everything to sound even better. I have another Jcat Nano on order so will try that next.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Thanks Elberoth, very clear. For my new server I am not able to obtain a HDPlex400 (is/are there any equivalent?) and I was going to feed two cards (Jcat Femto lan & Ered-dock) direct with a 5V lps.

A few days ago I read Gavin1977 (thanks also!) and you about the Jcat Optimo Nano, and here we are. This seems very promising now I know also about the Mojo Internal Regulator (is/are there any more equivalent?).

I just need to find the proper DC-ATX DC/DC converter, which these days can be quite a challenge. No rush (would not be possible anyway) so I look forward to read about your experience with the Jcat Optimo Nano in the near future to furher make up my mind. Good luck.

I currently run a Keces P8 which is 19v 8amp.   The P8 drives my CAPS (same Intel 2800 MoBo).    It has a secondary USB output of 5V @ 1amp  that I use to drive the Jcat XE card.    

If I was to purchase the Nano, what is the best way to power it using the P8.   I get that the Molex would slot into the rear of the XE and could also drive one of my 2 SSD's (One SSD has the OS and Jriver etc and the other SSD is a 2tb that has the music files)

I presume I could expect a boost in SQ from the Nano driving the XE rather than to Keces USB 5v/1amp output.

Regards Cazzesman

19 hours ago, Elberoth said:

I have recently put together a server using an ancient CAPS v2 MoBo (Intel 2800) - the thing is powered by a quality Seasonic 12V / 65W brick and has just two extra components:

- Jcat Nano super regulator  

- Jcat XE USB card 

The thing sounds just spectacular with Roon Core installed (the owner is using it as a Roon end point only, with Roon Core installed on a NUC i7) - to the point I'm starting questioning the added value of so called "audiophile" servers. 

I heard my custom music server, using JCAT USB XE against Innuos Zenith and it was of a similar level of performance.  Since then I also like to introduce a DDC, of which Singxer SU-6 is my favourite.  Like you I struggle to see what an "audiophile' server would give me, although I find the Grimm MU-1 an interesting proposal.

1 hour ago, Cazzesman said:

I currently run a Keces P8 which is 19v 8amp.   The P8 drives my CAPS (same Intel 2800 MoBo).    It has a secondary USB output of 5V @ 1amp  that I use to drive the Jcat XE card.    

If I was to purchase the Nano, what is the best way to power it using the P8.   I get that the Molex would slot into the rear of the XE and could also drive one of my 2 SSD's (One SSD has the OS and Jriver etc and the other SSD is a 2tb that has the music files)

I presume I could expect a boost in SQ from the Nano driving the XE rather than to Keces USB 5v/1amp output.

Regards Cazzesman

Only way to know is to test - but there are well known benefits of dual regulation, which adding the nano would give you.

However if the P8 can only provide 1amp of current then its a bit weak to be putting in a further conversion stage.  JCAT recommend 2A being delivered.

Hi Gavin,

I think you missed my question.    How do you power the Nano using the Keces P8 with the Intel 2800 motherboard?   Does the Keces power the DC  of the MoBo and then there is Molex or similar on the Mobo somewhere that would power the Nano, that then powers the XE (via rear molex) and SSD?     

Currently I have a cable that goes from the Keces USB (5V/1Amp) output that powers the XE via the 2.1/5.5 mm external jack.

Regards Cazzesman

22 hours ago, Elberoth said:

I have recently put together a server using an ancient CAPS v2 MoBo (Intel 2800) - the thing is powered by a quality Seasonic 12V / 65W brick and has just two extra components:

- Jcat Nano super regulator  

- Jcat XE USB card 

The thing sounds just spectacular with Roon Core installed (the owner is using it as a Roon end point only, with Roon Core installed on a NUC i7) - to the point I'm starting questioning the added value of so called "audiophile" servers. 

Probably not a coincidence (thanks to Chris!) but I also have an Intel DN2800MT mobo in storage somewhere, my first CAPS server.

But it has no pcie slot for the Jcat card? How is it connected?

Did you use any ‘better’ SODIMM, like Apacer?

Is the Seasonic a deliberate choice? We are on AudiophileStyle right ;-) ? You can still add an LPS of your choice, or did you try already?

I absolutely should try what you built. But then, with Mojo or with Nano regulator at twice the price? Thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, Cazzesman said:

Hi Gavin,

I think you missed my question.    How do you power the Nano using the Keces P8 with the Intel 2800 motherboard?   Does the Keces power the DC  of the MoBo and then there is Molex or similar on the Mobo somewhere that would power the Nano, that then powers the XE (via rear molex) and SSD?     

Currently I have a cable that goes from the Keces USB (5V/1Amp) output that powers the XE via the 2.1/5.5 mm external jack.

Regards Cazzesman

DC Jack to Molex adapter - you might need to fabricate yourself, but Ghent audio would probably do a good job (they come recommended!).