IGNORED

need help with subs

sparks

I have set up my stereo in my garage, Kenwood amp from the 80s with a pair of Infinity speakers. I recently aquired 2 x15 inch woofers and had them mounted in a nice bass cabinet with crossovers. I hooked them to terminal B speakers and play system through A&B. I really like the sound but would prefer to run a separate amp for the subs. I tried running it through the auxilary but it didn't work. Any help would be appreciated. My Kenwood amp is 130 watts a side and the JVC for the subs is 100 per side. I thought separate amps might give a cleaner sound, and I like the idea of having a separate volume control for bass.

4 hours ago, sparks said:

I thought separate amps might give a cleaner sound

They might. Choose the amp which sounds better in midrange and highs for the main speakers. Usually faster, better defined bass will come from the amp which has higher damping factor.

Listening session should help you to choose the best configuration. 

17 minutes ago, sparks said:

How do I connect the amps to each other..?

Your terms are confusing. An amp technically means a power amp. I suspect neither is a power amp, are they integrated amps? An integrated amp is a combination preamp and power amp. The preamp handles input switching and level control, a power amp drives the speakers.

Does the Kenwood have four RCA jacks labelled "Preamp Out" and "Power Amp In"? Does the JVC? 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

1 hour ago, sparks said:

Yes they are both integrated amps. The Kenwood does have pre out, power in. The JVC does not.

OK, you can connect the Kenwood preamp-out using RCA Y-cables. Connect one Left-Right to the Kenwood's power amp input, connect the other Left-Right to a JVC line-level input (i.e. CD or Tuner, or Tape In, not Phono). Control overall system level (level of both amps) with the Kenwood's volume controller, control sub level with the JVC's volume control for the desired bass level.

Another option would be to add an electronic crossover, installed between the Kenwood's pre and power amp connections. The crossover will filter the low and high frequencies. The crossover's high frequency outputs connect to the Kenwood's power amp inputs. The low frequency outputs connect to a line-level input on the JVC.

A MiniDSP 2x4 or 2X4 HD is an inexpensive way to do this but there are others available. With a line-level crossover like the miniDSP, you would not use the crossover in your bass bins.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

As I said above, connect the Kenwood preamp-out using RCA Y-cables. Connect one Left-Right to the Kenwood's power amp input, connect the other Left-Right to a JVC line-level input. I'm not sure what you are confused about. The Kenwood preamp out needs to drive the Kenwood power amp inputs and the line-level inputs on the JVC.  

You can use a pair of these: 

61aUPXvxmQL._SL1500_.jpg

Or adapters like this, with a pair of RCA interconnects:

61MnocbszsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

my power in and pre out both have left and right so I don't know about those  adapters.

You stated above to connect power in to JVC tuner input, not a problem.

My pre out to ??

Sorry if I don't seem to get it but I want to make sure it is correct the first time, thanks again.

4 hours ago, sparks said:

my power in and pre out both have left and right so I don't know about those  adapters.

Think of them as splitters. The purpose is to split the Kenwood preamp outputs so they can be sent to two different amplifiers.

- Connect one splitter to the left channel of preamp out, the other splitter goes on the right channel preamp out. 

- One half of the left channel splitter goes to the Kenwood power amp's left channel input. The other half of the left channel splitter goes to the left channel Tuner input of the JVC.

- One half of the right channel splitter goes to the Kenwood power amp right channel input. The other half of the left channel splitter goes to the left channel Tuner input of the JVC.

- Start with the JVC volume control turned to zero. With music playing, gradually turn it up until you are happy with the subwoofer crossover's bass output. Once the proper bass level is set, you won't need to touch the JVC volume, everything will be controlled by the Kenwood volume knob. 

You stated above to connect power in to JVC tuner input, not a problem.

I never said that. Do not connect the power amp to the JVC, or you will blow it up. The JVC needs a line-level preamp output from the Kenwood.

2 hours ago, sparks said:

I don't have a power amp. I have 2 integrated amps.

You do have a power amp, if as you said there are preamp outputs and power amp inputs on the Kenwood. The intent of those inputs is to enable using the integrated's preamp section and power amp sections as though they were separates. Do you have a manual for the Kenwood? If not, you need to read up on what an integrated amp is, and why some have the ability to separate the pre and power amp sections.

s-l400.jpg

If you aren't clear on what I've described in my previous posts, I advise you not to proceed. You can damage your gear if you get it wrong.