IGNORED

Article: CAPS Twenty Update, My Music Storage Situation, and Why Audiophiles Need A New iPad Pro

Just now, joelha said:

You just cost me $1,000, Chris. 

But I'm going to forgive you because you've written another great article. 

Thanks for that. 

Joel

Thanks Joel. It's totally worth it. I held out for the longest time, thinking it wasn't going to make that big of a difference. The evidence shows this is an amazing upgrade.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Hi Chris.

I agree Samsung NVMe is the way to go. (Not that either you or Samsung need my agreement, but just thought I'd say it.)  Thanks for mentioning the Sabrent - nice to know if I ever need an adapter for an extra NVMe drive.

Wondering whether the extra transfers have to do with files or file characteristics that may have been changed without your manual intervention.  This can happen, as I'm sure you know, either when transferring between different OS filesystems (I feel that Windows in particular likes to throw "hidden" files into folders), or if something like a file timestamp is altered automatically.

Maybe check using rsync/rclone set to leave out some types of files, timestamp changes, or various other things, and see whether it makes any difference?

I think you’re on to something Jud. Booting into Windows is likely doing something to the files metadata. I will run some tests to see if I can figure it out because it would be really nice to get it working flawlessly. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

39 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Great article again, Chris.  Just ordered the 12.9" and it will become my perfect new audio room remote!!

Somewhat OT: how did the Win 10 to Win11 migration go?  Is it worth it?  My stalwart Win 10 Pro i7-6700k HQP server is running fine but wondered if "going to eleven" makes sense here, either admin-wise and audio-wise.

Thanks Ted. 

I need to spend more time with 11 in order to render an options. It's certainly different.

20 minutes ago, yyz said:

If someone is using Fibre Optic cable from the network switch (Ubiquiti) to a Lumin X1 DAC (or a Sonore OpticalRendu and a USB DAC).  Assuming that the computer running ROON Core is more than powerful enough but not optimized for audiophile silence. Does sound quality improve if one is running a customized music server, such as this CAPS 20 or Aurrentder et al, If it does improve what is the reason for that?

My understanding of the problems with network streaming was the analog noise seeping into the network and then getting into the DAC. This supposedly cannot happen when using Fibre Optic cable. What am I missing with regards to the need for a audiophile grade music server even when using Fibre?

This is a discussion for another topic for sure. It’s a good one. 

8 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Why don’t you run a raid 0+1 ?  (Spinning disks). Wouldn’t that give sufficient performance if the OS is on a stripe with 2TB NVMe, if your Qnap has this option? (My TS253D has with an extra PCI card added). 

What's the advantage of doing this compared to what I have now?

8 hours ago, R1200CL said:

How about using virtualization on that Caps ? It certainly has the HP, and you can run multiple OS and systems simultaneously. Hope you can test this out with two fast disks in a stripe. 

HQPlayer needs direct access to the hardware. Virtualization won't work. 

1 hour ago, bbosler said:

It looks like the iPad Pro same chip set as a Mac Mini. Sorry if this was mentioned as I didn't read all comments, but seems like it has the power to be a music server running Roon Core, Audvirana or whatever. I would gladly buy one if I could get rid of my server. Why limit it to just being the remote?

Yes, same chip. while the iOS apps can tun on the new Mac Mini (M1), the reverse isn't true because it isn't possible to install the software on the iPad. If I could run the install on the iPad, I'd try it. 

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, DarwinOSX said:

"The 1TB and larger models have 16GB of RAM, but for most apps, Apple limits their use to 5Gb max."

This is no longer true.`

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/bundleresources/entitlements/com_apple_developer_kernel_increased-memory-limit?changes=latest_beta#details

I have the 16GB model.

That’s why I said for most apps. Most apps won’t call that to enable more memory.