IGNORED

T+A A 200 Power Amplifier

Just spotted this statement for their new amp:  “The damping factor of the A 200 can be reduced if a warmer or softer sound image is desired in combination with particular loudspeakers.”

https://www.ta-hifi.de/en/audiosystems/series-200/a-200-power-amplifier/

A feature I’ve always wanted!  Also uses Purifi power amp modules… anyone reviewed yet or compared with HV series?  I’m going to ask my local dealer.

Sounds quite interesting and promising indeed. A mono version of this I would find even more tempting. Nevertheless, it will be very interesting to hear this HV/Purifi combination. Looking forward to first impressions as well and/or to get a demo unit from the local dealer.

Apple Powerbook G4 15\", iTunes, Metric Halo LIO-8, active speakers

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, barrows said:

I wish they would up the power though, I need more.

Currently we are discussing internally if a 400W RMS (into 4Ohms)  mono version would make sense.

So thank you very much for sharing your thoughts - highly appreciated.

T+A Fellow   (Head of R&D @ T+A 1989-2021)

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

6 hours ago, OE333 said:

Currently we are discussing internally if a 400W RMS (into 4Ohms)  mono version would make sense.

So thank you very much for sharing your thoughts - highly appreciated.

Great.  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Just now, 57gold said:

barrows, I'm guessing you have read about the new Purifi 1ET7040SA: 500 watts into 4 ohms and ~40 amps current delivery.  An amp based upon this board is probably what you seek.  A bridged version of the lower powered Purifi unit will not increase current capability, the new board with the appropriate power supply will.  It can deliver 950 watts into 2 ohms, whereas the lower powered one kind of peters out into a 2 ohm load.  

A couple of companies are developing products with the Purifi 1ET7040SA.  Plan on trying one to drive my current hungry Aerial 10Ts.

Yes, and I plan to watch the development closely.  After DIYing amps with both Hypex (nCore) and now Purifi modules.  I have learned that the input stage is mostly what defines the overall sound of an amplifier using these modules, as the Purifi  circuit is basically as close to a "straight wire with gain" as exists.  Now I am not a capable analog circuit designer myself, lacking the experience to design such a circuit.  I have been waiting for a really superb option for an input stage to arrive in the DIY world, from one of the very clever folks, but so far nothing available for DIY has really impressed me.  OTOH, I know both from hearing some T+A components, and having a degree of understanding of T+A's design approach, that their HV analog stages are "special" in comparison to the approaches used by many others.  Hence my interest specifically in how T+A is integrating their approach with the Purifi modules.

For example, I have worked with a high voltage (+38V, -38V) rail discrete analog output (I/V) stage in a DIY DAC I have, and always noticed something special about the sound.  Back when I worked at PS Audio, they also had an approach of running discrete analog stages at much higher than "usual" voltages-some engineers at PS Audio suggested that one of the sonic advantages of tubes is likely not that they are tubes, but that they run at high voltages for even small signals.  I find even pushing the rail voltage for IC opamps improves the sound. 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

8 hours ago, barrows said:

For example, I have worked with a high voltage (+38V, -38V) rail discrete analog output (I/V) stage in a DIY DAC I have, and always noticed something special about the sound.  Back when I worked at PS Audio, they also had an approach of running discrete analog stages at much higher than "usual" voltages-some engineers at PS Audio suggested that one of the sonic advantages of tubes is likely not that they are tubes, but that they run at high voltages for even small signals.  I find even pushing the rail voltage for IC opamps improves the sound. 

I did a DIY design for using the LM3875 power IC, using regulated power supplies, with lots and lots of filtering; meaning I could squeeze the voltage rails to the very top of their specified voltage range. Which I did, only a couple of volts down from max - and this gave good results; had no trouble keeping up with a Perreaux 2150B in terms of competent sound levels.

This input stage discussion is above my pay grade (no electrical circuit experience, other than replacing tubes in my guitar amps), but I have noticed that some of the "assemblers" of Purifi and Ncore amps offer multiple input stage circuits based upon third party designs by Sparks, Audio Imagery and Weiss (the only company I had heard of before).  At least one company builds a tube input stage/buffer.  Not sure if any of these designs utilize higher than "usual" voltages as part of their design.

Then I guess (based upon what I have learned here) that power supply design will also be important to the new Purifi board's performance, its ability to deliver the maximum power and current without breaking a sweat.  

Guess the T+A guys have addressed all these issues in their efforts designing their Purifi based amp.

Then there is the ASR crowd that have tested a few Purifi based amps with differing input stages and were unable to measure any variation in performance (distortion, noise...the stuff they harp on)...so in their word view, they can't sound different!

Tone with Soul