IGNORED

Best Ethernet Cards for Streaming

It would also be really cool to see measurements of the fiber converters or SFPs. Sometime the cure to an ailment also has side effects. I’ve always wondered if putting an SFP slot and module inside a HiFi component also causes noise issues itself, even though the fiber has isolated anything upstream. 

All interesting really stuff. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 minutes ago, Cogito said:

Holo Audio is already doing Electrical to Optical Conversion and back to Electrical in its USB input to get rid of noise (galvanic isolation).  

Yes, Ayre has done that for a long time. Some of the optical conversion tech used in this capacity is less than ideal. The cure can be worse than the illness. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

45 minutes ago, Cogito said:

True. 
We all have our subjective biases and limitations to objective knowledge. We struggle with those all the time. We constantly are seeking more information, more knowledge, to enhance our experience of this hobby. Some of the time we come across good info, most of the useless info. 
But when someone is posting blatantly false information, it needs to be pointed out, IMO. 
If I post some wrong info and you point it out, I will take a step back and try to digest it and correct myself. If OTOH, I double down and make more wrong assertions, I would hope someone points it out. That’s exactly what happened here.

Posting correct info is great. Telling someone to use Google isn't. 

1 hour ago, Cogito said:

i get the feeling you are conflating two different technologies. 

I was referring to the network side of the PC based music server.  Let me explain.  In our homes we have copper based and wireless networks. Wireless network is not recommended for streaming as it has high levels of radio freq noise. Even in the wired network there is lot of noise present. Since the goal is to reduce the noise getting into the DAC, it needs to be eliminated before it enters the music server PC.  

The solution I am talking about works like this. Just before the music server convert the electrical signals to optical and pass them on to the PC. The PC will have a Optical NIC where the optical signals are converted back to electrical. The SFP are installed on either end of the short optical cable and the data is still in the IP domain where all the error detection and error correction protocols are embedded, I am not sure what parameter you would measure which are relevant to audio. If the parts are Of decent quality, there should be any issues.

I am not aware of any use of SFP modules between music server and DAC.

I fully understand the issue. I use a full fiber network in my house, with copper only to the endpoints that need it. 

Here is one that has a built-in SFP cage. 

LUMIN-X1-rear.jpg

5 minutes ago, Cogito said:

My comment about googling may not have been polite, but I do find your stalking and heckling childish.   I didn’t expect it from the founder of this site.

Perhaps we have very different definitions of stalking and heckling. Please let me know where you believed I stalked and heckled you. 

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, TomJ said:

I had also requested here in with the forum owner an article concerning the topic Ethernet sound with my measurements, on this unfortunately then no more answer received.

Just to make sure people have the facts. Here is my response to your message. At the time, the article concept wasn’t very clear in my head, but I was clearly interested in the topic. I was interested in your findings, but had no clue what you’d found or how you tested anything. 

941EBFEB-B82A-4CB0-89AC-F539CFE3F2F7.jpeg

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, TomJ said:

From my measurement experience the most driver settings doesn’t change much regarding Jitter and CM noise. But I only do measurements with 100Base tx.

The only setting, but only available on Linux, which has an impact on CM noise is the MDI/X setting. On Linux you can set the mode to MDI for the outgoing traffic and MDIX for the incoming, So it is secured that the data will only be sent on the 1/2 pair, not on the impedance critical 3/6 pair. This impacts CM noise.

I friend of mine works with 8 channel stuff and he also reports, that the settings of the driver are difficult, but I think it has more to do with throughput of the card itself than with Jitter and noise.

It would be interesting to see how these devices change under loads. If the noise and jitter are effected by 12 channels of DXD vs 2 of CD quality.  I think heat certain goes up on the devices with this much data, but I’m not sure if that effects the measurements you’re doing. 

I really don’t know, but am curious.