IGNORED

Course & Fine Volume Control - the best tweak I never knew I needed

Hola Chicos, I would like to chime here a little bit.

I will tell you my experience. Here in Costa Rica, we don't have big stages.  

The biggest is the Melico Salazar National Theatre were I listened our Symphonic Orchestra with a big Corus: The Ninth Symphony of Beethoven.  At the stage were about 200 people and I was at the seventh rod center listening with my SPL meter weighting in C scale, and perhaps 10 meters away from the stage, the highest meter reading was 93dB!!! And I never have being exposed to that musical energy before!  My body was literally shaking with this SPL.  

Recently we had Roger Waters here at our National Stadium.  The level was a little bit more than what I usually listen to my system, but WOW!!!  These guys really know how to adjust the level of the musical instruments and voices.  And through all those big speakers, in surround, quality was there too. Crystal highs with incredible definition with what were on the stage.  Fantastic.

Then I decided to play my system loud...one of my friends said: Roberto, this almost the same as the National Stadium with Roger Waters.  I only had it for 3 minutes and lowered the volume.

I think that we (humans) have a built in sound compressor into our ears, and I could stand for a moment hight SLP, but this is not for me.  I love my ears, and being exposed to a very high SPL, they start to whistle (tinnitus) and have it for two weeks...I don't like this. 

My liking not necessary must be your liking, but usually I am between 75dB to 85dB, peaks no further that 90dB!  Average SLP in 75dB is more than enough for me.  The stage, the musicians playing there with great realism with the fun that they are having playing together, with the right timbre and the right harmonic texture, air between them and having the main artist or performer in my virtual stage is all what I need.  I can focus easily with any musician or musical instrument at the recording. My system is simple, it is a Conrad Johnson ET-7 preamplifier and a Classic One Twenty SE power amp, with Nordost Reference SPM interconnects and speaker cables.  CD transport is a Bel canto CD3.  With a Holo May Kte dac with a LUSH ^V3 USB cable, my Apple Mac Pro and my ears...that's all what I need to enjoy all these fantastic musicians that are into our music files.  My speakers are Martin Logan CLXs with a BF-210 sub. 

Enjoy all those magical tunes!

Happy listening!

Speakers: CLXs / BF-210 sub Martin Logan. Cable: SPM Nordost Reference speakers and Interconnect RCAs. Conrad Johnson: ET-7S2 pre and Classic 120SE power amp.  Holo May KTE DAC. Power Conditioner: BPT Signature 3.5 Plus.  Computer: Mac Pro later 2013 cylindrical shape. USB cable: Lush ^V3. Shun Mook products: Mechanical Ground and SMD. CD transports: Bel Canto CD2 and CD3t. Linn Sondek LP-12 with Magnepan Unitrack tonearm. Cartridge: Sumiko Blackbird low output MC.  Oracle Delphy VII, Syrinx PU3 tone arm and Denon DL 103R MC low out put MC.  Phono Preamp: Vincent Pho300 modified with special caps and metal foil resistors. 

Oh, I forgot to mention that I do not use a volume level compensator in my Audirvana virtual CD player. Between the files, there are sometimes a big difference in level.  My pre amp volume control is very good. It goes by steps and each step going up or down is .7dB. So, you are able to adjust the exact level that you would like to listen any song or track. 

Happy listening!

Speakers: CLXs / BF-210 sub Martin Logan. Cable: SPM Nordost Reference speakers and Interconnect RCAs. Conrad Johnson: ET-7S2 pre and Classic 120SE power amp.  Holo May KTE DAC. Power Conditioner: BPT Signature 3.5 Plus.  Computer: Mac Pro later 2013 cylindrical shape. USB cable: Lush ^V3. Shun Mook products: Mechanical Ground and SMD. CD transports: Bel Canto CD2 and CD3t. Linn Sondek LP-12 with Magnepan Unitrack tonearm. Cartridge: Sumiko Blackbird low output MC.  Oracle Delphy VII, Syrinx PU3 tone arm and Denon DL 103R MC low out put MC.  Phono Preamp: Vincent Pho300 modified with special caps and metal foil resistors. 

When is right the SPL?  When you find yourself tapping your foot along with the rhythm of the music, that level is right. When you have a steady stage, the SPL is right.  This is a matter of liking. Also it is a matter of enjoying the musicians playing for you, there, in your own place.  

The other thing is, believe what your ears are telling you.  Don't worry about what others are saying. If you like what you are hearing, that's what it is all about and of course it is OK.  Trust your ears, they are your final judges.  I don't care if you can fool my ears; that could happen...fooling ears is not my goal,  what is the most important thing is: enjoy those fine tunes! Enjoy the fun that they are having playing for you! Enjoy that fun...music is love!

Happy listening!