IGNORED

Innuous Zenith Mk3 or Something Else?

I am extremely happy with the Zenith, both in terms of functionality and sound. The Innuos 2.0 software and Sense app are really great and the hardware -contrary to the oversimplified views of being just a sum of its parts- works in tandem with the software to provide superior sound. I am not sure if Innuos are planning to release new versions of their servers (in Chris' podcast they mentioned they started thinking about mk4 versions as soon as the mk3s were released, which is usually the case for most manufacturers), but the Zenith -as is- is far from being in danger of becoming "obsolete", plus these are particularly tricky times for manufacturing, as parts shortages, due to the aftermath of covid, create a new and complex reality, at least for the time being.

10 hours ago, longinc said:

Thanks @tedwoods for sharing your experience on the Zenith. Did you get a chance to compare the zenith to other servers?

I had the SOtM trifecta before w/h a variety of servers (Roon Nucleus, custom high powered server to run HQP, various NUCs with Audio Linux and Euphony) and have auditioned the Aurender N100H, the Auralic Aries G2.1 and the (older) Antipodes DS/ES combo. I liked all the servers I have auditioned more than my own front end combination at the time, but my decision to get the Zenith was a combination of other factors too. For example, I wanted to get away from Roon and wanted the server to have its own player (like the ones from Aurender and Auralic) and good USB output. Innuos now have the Inuuos 2.0 and Sense app, which are very good.

I too like the Antipodes "house sound" and I am confident their gear is truly special (I believe they will also be coming out with their own player soon), albeit beyond my reach. I agree with @kennyb123 that higher powered servers provide better dynamics, but the whole system dynamic behaviour is at play sometimes. In my system, I now have a previously all but elusive combination of detail and dynamics but also a non fatiguing sound.

Notwithstanding, better systems do exist.😁