IGNORED

Today I had a disk fail in my ZFS pool...

It was a complete non event, even the music kept playing. I pulled the bad disk, plugged in a replacement, resilvered the pool and we're back up and running.

At no time did music playback stop until I manually stopped it just to let the resilvering go without the need to play music at the same time. IMO this is the best reason to have music stored on a system with fault tolerance and redundancy built in. If I hadn't had a replacement on hand, I could still be listening to music with a degraded pool until the drive arrived.

For those curious, this is a Seagate Ironwolf 10TB drive less than a year old. I am sure Seagate will honor their warranty with no hassles.

For me, the administration and learning curve to use ZFS on Ubuntu for storage has been pretty easy as well. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

No electron left behind.

• 4 months later...

I have been using ZFS on Sun hardware since the Sun days. There was a bad problem if you exported and then tried to import a root pool to another machine. That led to a kernel panic and loss of filesystem. Other than that, ZFS has been great.

I have a concern since ZFS has forked so much and most of the guys who wrote it are in vendor-land and some/most of their code doesn't make it into ZFS on Linux and elsewhere that things will be hopelessly incompatible. I have been waiting on FreeBSD 12 stable and I have no plans to go to 13 until all the bugs have been worked out.

I do agree for somebody comfortable with command line *NIX that ZFS is intelligible and not hard to manage. But I think most people are better off with a generic Linux or BSD filesystem. I would also suggest taking a long hard look at the features in the next level(s) before you zpool upgrade. The higher you go, the less compatible you will be. If you stay on a zpool version that has the features you need, you will be able to move your filesystems to another OS or box if you want.

On 2/8/2022 at 9:42 AM, musiclovah said:

I have been using ZFS on Sun hardware since the Sun days. There was a bad problem if you exported and then tried to import a root pool to another machine. That led to a kernel panic and loss of filesystem. Other than that, ZFS has been great.

That must have been very early in ZFS because I have moved pools from machine to machine across operating systems for awhile. The problem now is that versions/features aren't kept in sync but Linux will be around forever.

ZFS comes packaged in Ubuntu.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.