IGNORED

Forgive me Father.. aka confession of audio heretic..

The reason why an orchestra (not mentioning other genres for I have already expressed my views on acoustic jazz and amplified jazz or rock concerts and sound defects accompanying them) sounds better on the home system, at least on mine and to my ears, is very simple: our ears don't have a chance to be in an optimum spot during a concert. None of us has the ability to eg float 3m above the podium, slightly in front of an orchestra or a chamber ensemble or a solo instrument for that matter. OTOH main mic(s) capturing all the details and nuances of the performance with eventual additional mics recording the ambience of the hall, contemporary mixing and mastering possibilities simply don't give us a  chance to get equally good sound in a chair of a concert hall, which what's even worse can sometimes be located to close to the stage, sometimes too far and sometimes even behind it.. Frank Zappa once said there is no more amazing feeling than hearing an orchestra from the conductors stand. I've never heard it from this place but the recording mic can be pretty damn close to it and I believe due to this we also have a possibility of glimpsing to at least some degree what he was talking about..  Also close micing during studio recordings allows to capture details which are inaudible when being 10-15m or more away, shouldn't be surprising to anyone, I guess. If we add to it ambience of the recording space the effects can be breathtaking, I think we all know that!

I would like to be well understood - I love live music, I've attended countless concerts in recent years, mainly jazz and classical. The experience of live participation in a music event can't IMO be compared to anything else (well, maybe creating music, even on amateur level could compete with it..), it's just that at home it ..sounds better.

The sound of live music treated as a goal, the Holy Grail of the audio world is just a fetish which doesn't deserve this position.

Period.

And what do you think/hear, guys.?

I really like young musicians. Been watching the Chopin Competition recently. It's a great thing young people can play like that (sometimes better sometimes worse).

But as for this performance:

19 hours ago, fas42 said:

..I can only say..

Sorry..

No prob's ... merely something I came across, as representing what the "real thing" is like as an acoustic event, in a domestic living space ... :)

I agree that recorded sound can be better, much better than live; simply because the pickup devices are in prime positions - I have noted this a number of times over the years in posts. And once sound reinforcement rigs get into the act, then it's no contest - The Phantom of the Opera production I saw in Sydney is a good example - to be blunt, it was pretty 'orrible as a sound event; every crescendo was stinking with distortion ... I was glad when it was over! Unfortunately, pro sound equals poop ... most of the time. We have the CDs of the full London production, and this is 100 times better - in particular, Bev finds this to very special, and will soak it up, for the full duration.