IGNORED

Forgive me Father.. aka confession of audio heretic..

38 minutes ago, fas42 said:

'audiophile' recordings are the ones least often played by myself ... frankly, they're boring - to me 😜.

Same here, fas, been repeating for years that Chesky bros is the most boring label in the world.

OTOH some of classical music on audiophile labels (RR, Telarc) is just fantastic!

40 minutes ago, fas42 said:

the raw intensity of that impact is magic, is part of the reason why musicians love what they do.

And sometimes get deaf.

42 minutes ago, fas42 said:

A system needs to be able to do that type of stuff, without making you run from the room - if it can, then the "nice stuff" is easy peasy, and shows itself in strong contrast ...

Believe me, my system is much more 'hard hitting' and merciless for the recordings than eg yours and is able to play really loud without distortion or compression (95db sensitivity speakers, my 80W amp is more than enough..).

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Depends what you mean by "merciless"

I mean.. Well, instead of repeating myself I will quote myself 9_9 (scroll down if you have time)

All the qualities of the speakers describe also qualities of the whole system.

11 hours ago, fas42 said:

"on the bright side of reality", though, is what I pause at; IME rigs sounding too "bright" is a clue, to me, that that there is possible room for improvement; that's the circumstances where I start to investigate finer areas of a system, to see where further opimisations can be made, 😉.

Judging by a review of a journalist who knows them well, they are not brighter than eg contemporary Wilsons, actually have extremely similar balance (I didn't have a chance to directly compare the two). Careful amp (mainly) and source matching (they cannot be shrill or grainy, better not bright or the speakers will mercilessly show that) plus either a big room (35sq.m+) or slightly more dumped acoustically than usual. Eventually subtly EQing curve (JRiver in my case) for some shrill/bright recordings (I actually rarely use it). 

7 hours ago, hopkins said:

Says who?

It would be easier to say who doesn't, and it includes this site.

But I don't think anyone is under the illusion that they will recreate live sounds in their living room.if they claim the contrary, it's probably a figure of speech. 

I don't think it's only a poetical figure in the mouth of many, rather, like I said a Holy Grail of audio :)

How can one tell? This has already been debated at length... 

That's right.

7 hours ago, GregWormald said:

🤣🤣🤣

6 hours ago, Rexp said:

You didn't need to add the emojis...

I (un?) fortunately can only see square shapes, I guess Chris censored them.

20 minutes ago, mfsoa said:

I always wondered why live, unamplified music is considered the ultimate reference when we can do so much better.

That is exactly the question I'm asking. We have at our disposal every possible microphone(s) placement, mix, all the possibilities of DSP and even the possibility of injecting tubes (forgive me Objectivist Father) into a studio gear chain, which eg Analogue Productions do and IMO the result is (probably not of the tubes alone) they make the best sounding remasters on the market. BTW I obviously understand that all those things can also add nasty stuff to the original sound or recording..

5 hours ago, hopkins said:

I'm sorry you have such a bad experience of concert halls and clubs.

I don't, I love live music, it's just that at home it sounds better on a regular basis.

I really think you are in a minority here.

I have never minded being in minority :)

There is also more to seing an artist perform live than just audio quality

Definitely but I can hear more at home than even in the hall regarded as one with very good acoustics.

In conclusion, I don't really understand your problem... 

Do I sound as if I had a problem.? If so I must have expressed myself in a wrong way :)

Cheers!

14 minutes ago, fas42 said:

If this doesn't happen for a recording you play, then it's because the accuracy of the playback chain you're hearing it through is not high enough - it's as simple as that ...

The room acoustics are important factor too.

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Not IME ... when the system gets it right, then what emerges from the speaker driver surfaces has such a high integrity that what the room is like doesn't matter any more - hard surfaces, soft surfaces, windows, etc, become irrelevant; the illusion projected by the playback is so 'powerful', that it dominates the environment you're in.

Not IME.

9 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Think of this situation: your home is literally attached to a concert hall, such that the room you're in is facing the musical action - and a wall is put in that room which aligns with the front of the speakers. On the other side of that wall the parts of the room there are completely removed, so it's now fully open to that performance space. Now, discard your speakers, and put two smallish, open doors in the just installed wall, which are in the same positions as those just removed speakers .

What do you think you would hear?

The sound of the concert hall event plus what the room (you're in) would add to that. With a gaping hole in the middle of the soundstage most probably.

In short, I'd bet it would sound like..

15 hours ago, fas42 said:

To put this in some perspective, consider walking into a concert space, through one of the many open doorways of a real one, and pause just before going actually through it - would what he hears at that point also be, ummm, a horror? 🙂

A little smaller horror.

While I was over-emphasisingx-D the down sides of live music

Thank you for this! ;)

I don't want to discard the whole live music experience—and it is an experience different to listening to music from my own chair.

Agree!

Some live music experiences changed my life.

Same here but..

some albums also changed my life.

May I say something on reproduction of the original scale and dynamics.?

How do you guys want to reproduce this with 2x5kg of speakers or even 2x25kg.?

(don't forget that beside this hammer there are a couple of dozens of instruments in the orchestra and that includes a substantial number of basses)

Not even mentioning this..

;)

14 hours ago, fas42 said:

Yep, been there ... my brother has been a musician since forever - I not at all - and he was into saxophone at one stage; played some big notes in a living room years ago ... amazing stuff! Put it this way - I could have listened to that instrument for hours, compared to the awfulness of sound reinforcement systems at almost all shows, that I put up with for years - end result, completely gave up on going to anything "live", because I was just wasting my money ...

Yes, peaks - strange thing, most instruments stay way, way below that most of the time; it's only when you have idiots running PA sets, that compress the hell out of the sound that throws everything off; it's the total exposure to SPLs that does the real damage.

If your job is to be in the middle of an orchestra, playing on a regular basis, then your accumulated exposure to higher sound levels is obviously greater - just about anything that humans do, where there is greater than normal levels of effort or exposure, causes more wear and tear on the body; just think of any sport, for example. So, we should tell, say, all athletes, and musicians, to, "Stop Doing That !!!" ... right? 😉

Not really ... anything can be to extremes - moderation, as always, is the key....

12 hours ago, fas42 said:

The room doesn't matter ... at this very moment I'm playing a no-name label (Bescol ??!), Chuck Berry, 21 Greatest Hits CD - and some of these, say, Maybelline, were done in some huge acoustic space, stretching way back from the speakers; his voice is expanding in all directions. Which works beautifully - has nothing to do with how the speakers are set up in my lounge ...

I thing I'd give away one of my spare interconnects for the privilege of being inside your head for 5 minutes.

Not sure I would like to stay there longer, though.. ;)

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Bev

Who is Bev?

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

... if you have a recording which one day sounded absolutely magical

Why do you often say something sounded one day .?

3 hours ago, botrytis said:

Don't go there. I don't think that is place any audiophile would want to be.

You didn't have the 'room' acoustics on your mind, have you.?

As you can see it seems that I still thing about it a little...:D

22 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Because it often happens that "one day the stars aligned" - that is, the playback system happened to stabilise to a peak quality, for a variety of reasons, and the replay was brilliant - this could disappear an hour later, because a single factor was no longer in the optimum state, to make the playback sound so good.

You have taken into account that this factor may be in a 'room' I asked @botrytis about, which is also the same place I was thinking about getting into for indecently low price of a second hand interconnect, haven't you.?

22 minutes ago, fas42 said:

This is something I have been dealing with for decades - working on evolving complete control over everything that matters.

Some say some effort is necessary and it may also take years to master the above mentioned factor ;)