Jump to content

Play Classics final calibration: TRT sound 2.4a …no more R&D


Mario Martinez
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi Mario-

I'd love to get an updated version of the Albeniz Iberia.

 

Thanks

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Mario,

 

Many thanks for the generous offer, and good to know that you've finally nailed the calibration.

Could I please have the final version of the Cabrera plays Debussy?

 

Best wishes,

Ricardo

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2021 at 4:01 PM, Mario Martinez said:

Thank you both, I just sent you the codes. I hope you like them. Enjoy! 👍

"Stories The Romantic Spanish Guitar" please Mario.Thanks so much!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Rexp said:

@Mario MartinezWhat a great recording! Seems quite a bit better than your earlier stuff, or am I hearing things?

No, you are not "hearing things" ...It does come out very differently. 

 

It seems that previous calibrations have always been very close to that transparency point but not quite right on it. The correction we made for this new calibration is just as slight as all the previous ones, but the resulting sound is something else.

We came up with this new 2.4a calibration last July and hearing those results I thought we may have achieved our goal but I did not want to post it so quickly because I wanted to make sure.

 

That is why we are posting it now that we are sure this is it. It's our final calibration because we are convince we have hit the bullseye 😀

 

 

Mario Martínez

Recording Engineer and Music Producer

Play Classics, classical music at its best

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Mario-

Just had a chance to start to compare the Iberia - 2.4a to version 2.

The new one sounds great, but it's hard to compare as the dynamic range of the two versions is different.

Both subjectively and objectively. 

I used the DR meter in foobar and see a noticeable difference: DR 13 (v2.4) vs DR 15(v2) overall average, with an even bigger difference on some individual tracks.

 

How do you account for this?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not a potential customer, so haven't requested a download,  But if the last phase of 'mastering' is indeed totally eliminated, then the result should absolutely be superior.   This would be what I have fought against since 2011, and what had damaged my interest in 'high fidelity' since the post-mastering process was started in approx the middle 1980s.   The creeping crud has been in most consumer recordings for a long time, and I have found very few truly 'undamaged' recordings from the original mix, or from even the normally perceived mastering process.

 

If the recording is indeed 'pure', that is a great thing for audiophiles who enjoy the genre being talked about here...

It is a wonderful day...

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, firedog said:

Hi Mario-

Just had a chance to start to compare the Iberia - 2.4a to version 2.

The new one sounds great, but it's hard to compare as the dynamic range of the two versions is different.

Both subjectively and objectively. 

I used the DR meter in foobar and see a noticeable difference: DR 13 (v2.4) vs DR 15(v2) overall average, with an even bigger difference on some individual tracks.

 

How do you account for this?

 

The calibration is mainly an equalisation. The purpose of that equalisation is to correct the timbre deformations that the recording chain (Hall acoustics at pickup point, mics, etc…) may have introduced into the recorded sound.

 

Since the recording setup (Hall, pickup point, etc) is always the same we use the same calibration in all the albums.

 

But this calibration has been changing over time because we have been working at it to try to improve it.

 

Over the years we have gone through many versions of this calibration. Calibration 2.0 was developed in 2016. Every new calibration has been slightly different from its predecesor but there are quite a few calibrations between 2.0 and 2.4a.

 

The differences in the equalisation of 2.0 and 2.4a may therefore be big enough to not just produce a different timbre (which is the main purpose of the calibration) but to also affect the level of the peaks of the different recordings.

 

This is important, because those peaks across all our recordings, are the ones that determine the final volume level of the all set (except for the guitar album which is raised 6dB above that).

 

The resulting volume level of calibration 2.4a may well be 2 to 3 dB above the volume level of 2.0, but it is hard to determine exactly how much because that difference might not be evenly distributed across the frequency spectrum.

Mario Martínez

Recording Engineer and Music Producer

Play Classics, classical music at its best

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Dyson said:

I am not a potential customer, so haven't requested a download,  But if the last phase of 'mastering' is indeed totally eliminated, then the result should absolutely be superior.   This would be what I have fought against since 2011, and what had damaged my interest in 'high fidelity' since the post-mastering process was started in approx the middle 1980s.   The creeping crud has been in most consumer recordings for a long time, and I have found very few truly 'undamaged' recordings from the original mix, or from even the normally perceived mastering process.

 

If the recording is indeed 'pure', that is a great thing for audiophiles who enjoy the genre being talked about here...

It is a wonderful day...

 

 

 

 

Hello John,

 

these giveaways do not have a comercial purpose. You do not have to be a customer to enjoy the offer. We are just interested in getting your feedback.😃

 

If you are curious about the result please let me know and I will be happy to send you a gift code so you can try the master in your system.

 

If you are not a classical music listener, I would still recommend getting the wind sextet (Modern times) or the piano trios (Fanny & Felix Mendelssohn chamber music), I am sure you will enjoy them. 👍

Mario Martínez

Recording Engineer and Music Producer

Play Classics, classical music at its best

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I love piano music, I have no idea how to use it to evaluate a recording, honestly.  I think it might be easier for me to listen to an ensemble, so I would love a code for Harmonie du Soir chamber music album. Thank you. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > Audirvana Studio / JRiver Media Server > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > EtherRegen > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Tier 2 > Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC > Wyred4Sound STI-500 > Revel F32 Concertas

 

Basement:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 >  Audirvana Studio / JRiver Media Server > Xfinity xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > TrendNet FMC > Sonore OpticalModule > UltraRendu > NuPrime IDA-8 > KEF LS50's

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

While I love piano music, I have no idea how to use it to evaluate a recording, honestly.  I think it might be easier for me to listen to an ensemble, so I would love a code for Harmonie du Soir chamber music album. Thank you. 

 

Maybe we should look at this from a different point of view. My statement is that our system's sound is transparent. But it would be impossible for you to evaluate its transparency by just listening to one instrument. Yes, it may sound good to you but how can you really know how "true" to the physical instrument that sound is if you really have not had the chance to listen to the real one?

 

I think a better way to evaluate the transparency of the system would be to listen to a playlist of one track of each album. Then you will be hearing all different kinds of instruments one after the other and also some of the same instruments used in different places of the stage.

 

Now, you know there is no mastering or mixing involved, so all instruments are portrayed just the way the system captured them (we did not make any corrections to any particular instrument or range of an instrument) so, if what you are hearing in the playlist sounds natural to you then my theory is that that can only be the result of a transparent recording system.

 

Here is a playlist I made with one example from each album so you can try this approach: http://www.playclassics.com/streaming?g=2898-2887-2870-2852-2839-176-2820-140-130-115-87-16-2796-27-48-75-7-2910&ps=1&pt=1&p=a-135-136&i=a&c=a&o=s&gf=m

 

Mario Martínez

Recording Engineer and Music Producer

Play Classics, classical music at its best

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a heads up, and I'll be listening in more detail soon, but wanted to give a status report.

 

Most definitely, no question or equivocation about it:

 

The Mozart - Beethoven Wind Quartets is a clean, pure recording without the common industry stealth post-processing.

 

(I'll do a more complete listen after my SW release -- but this IS good news that there is 'real, good quality stuff' available.)

 

Frankly, the quality sounds better than the best master tape in my possession.  Of course, the master tapes NEEDED NR, but Mario's stuff appears clean.   It will probably take real reviewer with better hearing than myself to make accurate observations in other facets of the recording, but thank goodness that the true recording is available for listening. 

 

Also, read Mario's document on what TRT means.  The TRT document appears to focus on the micing and collection of the sound.  Along with proper micing (which is often a matter of opinion & debate), it is also mentioned that maintaining truthful and accurate reproduction of the mix is also important.    In this forum topic, the well thought out TRT technique is the most relevant aspect of the recording.  But also critical, since his company is distributing a pure recording, then the consumer to realize the full benefits of the TRT technique.

 

http://www.playclassics.com/trtsound

 

Personal comment:  I really want to sit down soon, enjoy and also carefully listen to the truly clean TRT recording.  I seldom encounter actually clean recordings, so there is something to be learned by listening.   Even my so-called 'clean' test sources are 'DolbyA' or something like that, which by definition means that my test recordings had dynamics processing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mario Martinez said:

 

Maybe we should look at this from a different point of view. My statement is that our system's sound is transparent. But it would be impossible for you to evaluate its transparency by just listening to one instrument. Yes, it may sound good to you but how can you really know how "true" to the physical instrument that sound is if you really have not had the chance to listen to the real one?

 

I think a better way to evaluate the transparency of the system would be to listen to a playlist of one track of each album. Then you will be hearing all different kinds of instruments one after the other and also some of the same instruments used in different places of the stage.

 

Now, you know there is no mastering or mixing involved, so all instruments are portrayed just the way the system captured them (we did not make any corrections to any particular instrument or range of an instrument) so, if what you are hearing in the playlist sounds natural to you then my theory is that that can only be the result of a transparent recording system.

 

Here is a playlist I made with one example from each album so you can try this approach: http://www.playclassics.com/streaming?g=2898-2887-2870-2852-2839-176-2820-140-130-115-87-16-2796-27-48-75-7-2910&ps=1&pt=1&p=a-135-136&i=a&c=a&o=s&gf=m

 

Is the playlist audio mp3?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2021 at 2:05 PM, Mario Martinez said:

Just pick an album of your choice (they have all been updated to this final calibration)

 

This is highly interesting as I consider "Polish Songs" one of my favorite vocal albums.  My interest seemed to be in the overwhelming minority compared to other instrumental releases.  Where some very fine listeners keyed in on elements your team had captured with a great polarity.  Most notably on piano where tunings and falling out of tune from playing to concert levels provoked an immense range of responses.  Will be interesting to read what longer term participants discover in this calibration. 

 

I certainly hope your persistence allows getting a steady number of high caliber working artists into making recordings with you.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...