IGNORED

New Stepped Attenuator - no attenuation with certain sources - does not work.

SMen

I have just installed a new ALLO stepped attenuator to replace my old one which had dry joints (annoyingly), into my Volt D.

With my analogue phono stage connected into the line input it works fine. Even accounting for dry joints, much better than my previous allo attenuator.

With my dac connected through the line inputs it does not attenuate at all however - goes straight to full volume. The DAC has a lossless digital volume control so I have to use that.

With my portable music player connected through the line inputs it is the same. This also has a digital (lossy) volume control. The attenuator switches straight to full volume, and I have to use the digital volume control.

If I attach my laptop through the line out playing spotify, the allo stepped attenuator works again. I can adjust volume. This is crazy.

If I did not have my fixed output phono stage, I would assume the attenuator was simply faulty.

Could someone explain what is going on here?

With my previous allo volt stepped attenuator, I could adjust the volume from any of the above devices. This seems to defy the laws of physics!

Many thanks.

21 hours ago, SMen said:

I have just installed a new ALLO stepped attenuator to replace my old one which had dry joints (annoyingly), into my Volt D.

With my analogue phono stage connected into the line input it works fine. Even accounting for dry joints, much better than my previous allo attenuator.

With my dac connected through the line inputs it does not attenuate at all however - goes straight to full volume. The DAC has a lossless digital volume control so I have to use that.

With my portable music player connected through the line inputs it is the same. This also has a digital (lossy) volume control. The attenuator switches straight to full volume, and I have to use the digital volume control.

If I attach my laptop through the line out playing spotify, the allo stepped attenuator works again. I can adjust volume. This is crazy.

If I did not have my fixed output phono stage, I would assume the attenuator was simply faulty.

Could someone explain what is going on here?

With my previous allo volt stepped attenuator, I could adjust the volume from any of the above devices. This seems to defy the laws of physics!

Many thanks.

Supported through PM , and noticed wiring was wrong. corrected the same and issue resolved.