IGNORED

I Am a Big Eric Clapton Fan. Cultural Appropriation is BS

27 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

I and I people cannot agree with @sphinxsix.   There are many styles of reggae.  Old school, main stream, dub, what have you.   Bob M. is just one more branch on the tree.  

It's silly to argue that Bob Marley's music isn't reggae. It is largely thanks to Marley that reggae has evolved from a local phenomenon to a global one. As far as cultural borrowings are concerned, one can point out that Marley used the Western electric rock band format. Of course, purists would argue that authentic reggae can only be performed with drums and only during Nyabinghi ceremonies - something similar can be heard in the recordings of Wingless Angels, Keith Richards project in Jamaica. 

By the way, those who like to calculate who owes what to whom can safely take note of the fact that Bob Marley was black on his mum, white on his dad, and his grandmother, his father's mother, was a Syrian Jew. Many Caribbean musicians, including those in the reggae genre, have very diverse backgrounds, including Chinese or Indian roots. 

6 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Where do you think the Blues those British bands heard, came from?

Also, this entire thread is off the topic of the entire forum, purposely meant to "piss people off" and needs to be over on rightwingernutballconspiracies . com or some such cesspool of bullshit.

It feels like all British rock is deliberately reduced to the early Stones or Led Zeppelin. Was the influence of the black blues central and fundamental to the mature Yes, King Crimson, The Moody Blues, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, The Alan Parsons Project, Roxy Music, Gentle Giant, Supertramp, Manfred Mann's Earth Band and so on?

3 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Well, if we're talking about the sixties, some of those bands didn't get started until very late sixties and early seventies. Other well known British blues rock bands  besides Stones and Led Zep (two behemoths) are Cream, the Yardbirds (very important!), the Animals, John Mayall, early Fleetwood Mac, Savoy Brown, Ten Years After, and more, some not so well known outside of G.B. but very influential like Alexis Korner's band, Long John Baldry, and others some of our Brit members are much more familiar with.

Like Nombedes, I was one of those kids who came up on this British blues rock, loved it, and played a lot of it in a band. Even though I lived only a few miles from Chicago, I was a kid, so I didn't hear a lot of Chicago Blues until 1970 and beyond. I've also re-listened to a lot of Eric Clapton's blues covers recently, and I really respect the contribution to blues he has made, both musically and through the Crossroads shows. I don't share his politics.

p.s. I am a big Bob Wills fan.  🤠

Of course, I listened intensively to those bands a few decades ago, and some of the unmentioned ones as well. All I was trying to say was that I don't see the desire to present rock as just an extension of the blues tradition as justifiable enough. Rock has absorbed that and a lot more.

42 minutes ago, firedog said:

I think Josh's previous point that it matters whether the appropriation is acknowledged or not. 

So Pat Boone - appropriation. Pure rip off for making bucks.

Beatles, Stones, etc.  - no. They more than acknowledged- they actively promoted the artists they admired, which resulted in more sales and greater appreciation for those they "appropriated".

It is also worth mentioning that some important early blues recordings have survived thanks to the efforts of people like Alan Lomax. It also seems significant that leading recording labels which have been issuing early blues, such as Chess, Alligator, Delmark, Document Records, etc. were founded and run by white enthusiasts.