IGNORED

I Am a Big Eric Clapton Fan. Cultural Appropriation is BS

On 10/1/2021 at 3:59 PM, NOMBEDES said:

Here is my rant of the day:

I love the fact that a bunch of kids got together in England (ca. 1960) and started playing blues music.  Now many folks rightfully think that the only true blues music is the authentic American blues music from black artists starting way back in the 20th c. and developing until today.   

But I have to say that no one in Santa Maria California was going to play any blues music authentic or otherwise until the British Invasion got going.  Because of the Blues Breakers, the Stones and other UK groups a lot of us white boys became life long blues fans and developed a strong interests in the "real stuff" .   So cultural appropriation is a force for good IMO.

As far as E. Clapton goes, I just put him in the title to piss people off.:P

Where do you think the Blues those British bands heard, came from?

Also, this entire thread is off the topic of the entire forum, purposely meant to "piss people off" and needs to be over on rightwingernutballconspiracies . com or some such cesspool of bullshit.

No electron left behind.

16 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Is using a TV 'cultural appropriation'.? Is using a telephone, 'cultural appropriation'?   Is using a light bulb with the Edison connector or Salk vaccine, 'cultural appropriation' (or 'transistor', or ....)    None of this 'appropriation' thing, makes any sense, be it music, technology or any other thing. 

Other than music, none of those things are part of any one races culture.

I made a comment earlier in this thread about where the British Invasion bands acquired the music and the sounds they brought to America. As I am sure most of you know, it was America. Specifically the Blues that African American artists were making here, but wasn't being appreciated, and who went to Europe to more appreciative audiences. When it came back it was being played by White people and was far more widely accepted. I am not making any judgements here on who is guilty of this or that, this is just facts. Another fact about that is that there is nothing we can do about it. It's in the past and done. I got to thinking about it and thought, well where did American blues come from? That would be slaves using hymns they learned from the white slave owners and the rhythms they brought with them from Africa and used for entertainment or to send signals to each other in the course of their daily lives. That's when I stopped, only because I don't have any knowledge to go back any further. The only truth is that there will always be stuff in our past we don't like, and the only thing we can do about it is move forward with more understanding. I think America currently is being held hostage by the extremes on both sides and the debate of Cultural Appropriation is just one example.

No electron left behind.

15 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

I somewhat disagree...   There has been a very strong 'tinkering' culture in certain groups of people.   It is a big part of my life, for example.  Through the 1850s through approx 2000, there used to be lots more of 'me' than nowadays as most people are playing games on their Iphones and talking on Facebook/etc.   There HAS been a cultural shift.

IMO, it is *very* wrong to automatically dismiss creations and realtively more pronounced behavior of a single culture as being 'not cultural'.   Not everyone of a single culture created different forms of music, just like not everyone in the cutlure that produced results from 'tinkering' actually tinkered.   People a few generations ago in my own history played music all of the time, in fact one of my great aunts played in one of the Bluegrass bands (Monroe), and her replacement when she got pregnant later on played the Beverly Hillbillies theme for the TV show. (Bluegrass has European links and probably other places also.)

There are variants in each group of people, but to dismiss the beahvior biases of a singular culture as NON cultural does show bias.

Each group has had substantial influence on society.

But it's humanity wide, not concentrated to one "race" which is a word I hate because we're all human.

No electron left behind.

5 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Only because some cultural aspects of a certain group of people are dismissed.  (e.g. Ham radio was a cultural aspect -- with a strong bias towards a single group of people.)  There were even magazines, meetings.   It was very common for someones uncle, father, grandfather to be a Ham operator.   IN a way, that can be considered a part of the same kind of group that created the TV technology, diesel engine, cars in general, etc.  There is too much compensatory bias going on -- and it is ONLY destructive.   In the hills where half of my family came from, playing music was super-common and also part of the culture.   People forget that so very often -- the forgetfulness is all about bias.

Do you have a dictionary handy?

No electron left behind.

6 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Only because some cultural aspects of a certain group of people are dismissed.  (e.g. Ham radio was a cultural aspect -- with a strong bias towards a single group of people.)  There were even magazines, meetings.   It was very common for someones uncle, father, grandfather to be a Ham operator.   IN a way, that can be considered a part of the same kind of group that created the TV technology, diesel engine, cars in general, etc.  There is too much compensatory bias going on -- and it is ONLY destructive.   In the hills where half of my family came from, playing music was super-common and also part of the culture.   People forget that so very often -- the forgetfulness is all about bias.

Lets see if I can make this more clear...

Lutefisk is cultural. HAM radio is not.

Pow-Wows are cultural, Diesel engines are not.

Music can be, TV technology is not.

Traditional styles of dress for a certain people or geographical area, cultural.

I am not sure what point you're trying to prove. We all need to pay attention to the sad and pitiful plight of HAM radio operators?

No electron left behind.