IGNORED

APE=>CUE=>FLAC

Gadflyonthewall

Question

I have a bunch of old large files, which I think are vinyl rips, in APE, which I'd like to eventually convert to FLAC with individual tracks. Does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve downloading a lot of dicey freeware?

Also, is it possible for an APE file to convert to FLAC without any individual tracks? Is CUE a necessary middle-step to make tracks appear?

Any advice will be appreciated!

6 answers to this question

If you want to split the big APE file per track, another possibility would be to use foobar2000 splitting and conversion, but you did not mention OS you are using.

CUE file is needed for conversion if you want to split the media file per track. If not, just convert the APE file to FLAC using any converter and change the filename extension in your CUE file from APE to FLAC.

More standard approach is to store media files per track with embedded track metadata. Then every single track file contains complete metadata information when copied anywhere, for example into portable player. No CUE file is needed in that case. Just organize your media files in directories per album.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

When I try to play in Foobar I get unsupported file format.  It at least provides me with the names of the tracks.

I've converted the APE file to a single-track FLAC. I'm still not sure what you mean by "change the filename extension in your CUE file from APE to FLAC"

"More standard approach is to store media files per track with embedded track metadata."  This sounds like it may be the most direct of all, but I have no idea where to start.  For example it's the first time I've ever heard of embedded track metadata.  Obviously I'm not terribly tech-savvy.

Thanks

20 hours ago, Gadflyonthewall said:

I've converted the APE file to a single-track FLAC. I'm still not sure what you mean by "change the filename extension in your CUE file from APE to FLAC"

Open the CUE file in any text editor. Find the line where your APE file is specified, in my case:

FILE "ELO - Discovery.wav" WAVE

and change it to flac filename you got as result of your conversion, for example:

FILE "ELO - Discovery.flac" WAVE

The resulting FLAC file should be playable in foobar2000 and the album metadata should be displayed like with the APE file.

20 hours ago, Gadflyonthewall said:

When I try to play in Foobar I get unsupported file format.

To play Monkey audio API files, you need to install the corresponding component into foobar2000:
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_monkey
In foobar2000: File | Preferences | Components | Install

Then, when component is installed and foobar2000 restarted, you should be able to play your APE file.

foobar2000 contains built in converter, which you can use to split your media file (either APE file, or FLAC converted from APE) into individual track files.
Open a new playlist (for example File | New Playlist) and drag&drop your APE or FLAC file into it. You should see the usual album metadata like album name as well as titles of the tracks.
If so, select all tracks, right click the selection and choose Convert | ... (three dots) from context menu.

The conversion interface is quite simple, after few experiments you could get the wished result:

image.thumb.png.6740a7d8fb960889ce6cb70ee42f0666.png

Choose FLAC level Then customize the Destination settings (the example on the picture splits the big APE file to individual track files), choose to transfer tags and attached pictures and finally press Convert.

image.thumb.png.071bf26c7402ffe955f987e1d726a82b.png

You should get individual track files with embedded metadata.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500