Article: Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Less is More Review

JoeWhip

I love it Joe! Thanks for the review. 

Your audio street cred is a bit over the top compared to mine. Seeing Ray Brown live as a reference?!!! I saw Motley Crue at Met Center, does that count? Only kidding. I've seen some great shows, but the thought of seeing Ray Brown makes me incredibly jealous :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Joe,

great review, thanks.😄

Makes me very curious what the upcoming Schiit Urd with its Unison output will bring to the party.......

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I love it Joe! Thanks for the review. 

Your audio street cred is a bit over the top compared to mine. Seeing Ray Brown live as a reference?!!! I saw Motley Crue at Met Center, does that count? Only kidding. I've seen some great shows, but the thought of seeing Ray Brown makes me incredibly jealous :~)

Now I am feeling nostalgic for The Met and the Northstars...

No electron left behind...

I am excited about this product but really wonder.  The LIM and MIL versions ditch the Yiggy's vaunted discrete Analog2 output and use a TI LME 49724 integrated op-amp based output instead (Heresy! Shades of Bifrost!)  Can we expect a TI DAC 8812 based Bifrost from Schiit soon?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It wouldn't be October without mentioning Joe's enhanced sound diffusion from his collection of baseball caps!

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Thanks for the review, Joe. I have a GS (Garage Sale) - a modern Yggy with a A1 board. Looking forward to upgrading to a LiM.

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Plus 3.5/DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/stereo Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

Interesting observations, feelingears. How the two DACs are perceived may also depend on the system context. In my friend's system I did not feel that things were "masked" or "crowded out" on the Yggy OG; we listened to rather complex orchestral music. Yet unavoidably, somewhat different tonal balances and energies, as the two DACs present, will automatically create slightly different emphases and attenutation of musical lines relative to one another. That's the nature of the game.

I personally did not hear more resolution and nuance with the Yggy LIM than with the Yggy OG. But I do like the greater liveliness, action, energy that, as you say, the OG represents.

It’s always great to read opinions that differ from my own. I love the LiM and much preferred it to OG, but that’s just me. 

Thanks for the posts guys, I know it can be dangerous territory to go against the grain :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

2 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

...What he heard summarizes why I prefer the LIM to the OG. Through the LIM he thought he was hearing an orchestra like he would live. There was no spotlighting of instruments. They were all there in front of you. You can follow each section individually if you like or listen to the whole group. Another friend commented on chords on piano jazz recordings, in being able to hear the chords cleanly, with less, shall I say it, blur.

Yes, I like the term "spotlighting" although I don't understand why it happens; I'm not an EE and don't pretend to be/understand all that goes on and it seems to me even if you are an EE, if you haven't designed audio gear, there's still a lot to learn about how electricity turns into a sonic illusion of a piano. No offense to EEs, as Joe says, we'd all have the same stuff if it were that easy.

Back to this spotlighting - pleased to read others have or have not had this experience. I hear this with LiM too - "all there in front of you" whereas with A2/OG in my system, the bass is a bit in your face which I rather like but does color or overpower the lower mids, in my room, and there are other things that are not spotlighted, relatively speaking.

FWIW, I hear this with amps, too. I had the somewhat famous Belles Aria integrated here for a while and it's a lovely sounding unit that, like Joe says above, easily lets you "follow each section individually..." or the whole group. My Naim gear is a lot more energetic, our other word of the day, and seemingly relative to the Belles, my Naim separates can spotlight certain things, although perhaps not as much as with DACs.

As Spock says, "Fascinating." (Everyone arch an eyebrow.) Thanks, y'allz!

Sum>Frankenstein: Schiit Yggdrasil A2+Shunyata Venom/PS Audio P3 Regenerator+AVOptions Tibia, W4S Remedy/Uptone LPS-1.2, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, Naim 72/HiCap/250 DR, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500, Epos, Uptone Audio ISO & EtherREGENs, Witch Hat/Audience/Silnote/ZenWave/Mapleshade/Shunyata/Transparent Audio cables/cords, and nice room w/treatment.