IGNORED

Article: Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Less is More Review

2 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

...What he heard summarizes why I prefer the LIM to the OG. Through the LIM he thought he was hearing an orchestra like he would live. There was no spotlighting of instruments. They were all there in front of you. You can follow each section individually if you like or listen to the whole group. Another friend commented on chords on piano jazz recordings, in being able to hear the chords cleanly, with less, shall I say it, blur.

Yes, I like the term "spotlighting" although I don't understand why it happens; I'm not an EE and don't pretend to be/understand all that goes on and it seems to me even if you are an EE, if you haven't designed audio gear, there's still a lot to learn about how electricity turns into a sonic illusion of a piano. No offense to EEs, as Joe says, we'd all have the same stuff if it were that easy.

Back to this spotlighting - pleased to read others have or have not had this experience. I hear this with LiM too - "all there in front of you" whereas with A2/OG in my system, the bass is a bit in your face which I rather like but does color or overpower the lower mids, in my room, and there are other things that are not spotlighted, relatively speaking.

FWIW, I hear this with amps, too. I had the somewhat famous Belles Aria integrated here for a while and it's a lovely sounding unit that, like Joe says above, easily lets you "follow each section individually..." or the whole group. My Naim gear is a lot more energetic, our other word of the day, and seemingly relative to the Belles, my Naim separates can spotlight certain things, although perhaps not as much as with DACs.

As Spock says, "Fascinating." (Everyone arch an eyebrow.) Thanks, y'allz!

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.