IGNORED

Hugo2 to external amp question

I’ve done a fair amount of searching both here and on HF and haven’t found a useful answer. And I’ve read several posts by RW regarding the (lack of) need for an external amp and how such amps affect the sound. Notwithstanding all of that, and assuming one still wanted to output to an amp, my question is:

When playing from Hugo 2 to an external amp, specifically Romi Audio BX2+, does it make any difference if the 3.5 mm output or the RCA output is used?

I don’t currently have an inter-connect that would go from the RCA out to the amp. Hugo 2 RCAs are recessed, and require a skinny plug on the end of the cable in order to fit. But if it’s worth it, I’ll get a new cable built.

TIA!

Be glad that you have the option... doesn't make me happy to use a mini RCA adaptor for Mojo with Hero interconnects. Not the best of cable choices available for

mini RCA.

this Headfi review evaluates  cables used with their Hugo 2.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-analog-interconnect-journey.891572/

@The Computer Audiophile post editor is doing something weird with the link, replaces it with a non functional icon... had to say "no, display the link"

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

Be glad that you have the option... doesn't make me happy to use a mini RCA adaptor for Mojo with Hero interconnects. Not the best of cable choices available for

mini RCA.

this Headfi review evaluates  cables used with their Hugo 2.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-analog-interconnect-journey.891572/

@The Computer Audiophile post editor is doing something weird with the link, replaces it with a non functional icon... had to say "no, display the link"

Thanks — saw that (searched ‘Hugo 2 interconnect’), but unfortunately that’s only about RCAs — nothing about 3.5mm out or comparison. I guess the answer could be ‘No difference’, thus resulting in no discussion.

While I can’t pinpoint to a specific post that Rob Watts the Chord DAC designer made, I believe he has always said that all headphone outputs of his DACs are identical to the RCA outputs, i.e. for Chord Hugo, Hugo 2, TT, TT2 and DAVE (in particular). So theoretically, there is no difference between the 3.5mm output compared to the RCA.

What he has said however is that he, himself, can hear subtle loss of transparency when using 6.35mm to 3.5mm adaptors and vice versa. I can personally attest to that too so for my Hugo 2, I use the 3.5mm for my Mr Speaker/Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow Closed and 6.35mm for my Focal Utopia headphones because that’s the plug the stock headphone cables come in. Obviously your experience might differ.

2 minutes ago, ecwl said:

While I can’t pinpoint to a specific post that Rob Watts the Chord DAC designer made, I believe he has always said that all headphone outputs of his DACs are identical to the RCA outputs, i.e. for Chord Hugo, Hugo 2, TT, TT2 and DAVE (in particular). So theoretically, there is no difference between the 3.5mm output compared to the RCA.

What he has said however is that he, himself, can hear subtle loss of transparency when using 6.35mm to 3.5mm adaptors and vice versa. I can personally attest to that too so for my Hugo 2, I use the 3.5mm for my Mr Speaker/Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow Closed and 6.35mm for my Focal Utopia headphones because that’s the plug the stock headphone cables come in. Obviously your experience might differ.

That’s very helpful, thank you. Makes me feel comfortable enough to stop wondering/worrying 🤓

35 minutes ago, lcmusiclover said:

Thanks — saw that (searched ‘Hugo 2 interconnect’), but unfortunately that’s only about RCAs — nothing about 3.5mm out or comparison. I guess the answer could be ‘No difference’, thus resulting in no discussion.

huh? no, its that there are few good mini cables for the 3.5mm output. Sounds like you have a confirmation bias towards wanting there not to be a difference. between the mini

and the RCA outputs

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

30 minutes ago, davide256 said:

huh? no, its that there are few good mini cables for the 3.5mm output. Sounds like you have a confirmation bias towards wanting there not to be a difference. between the mini

and the RCA outputs

No, it’s an honest enquiry. I’m just surprised that there doesn’t seem to be much discussion as most of us are pretty obsessive about this kind of thing. That’s what led me to the maybe there’s no difference idea. 

I’ve got a good 3.5-3.5 interconnect now, but I’m trying to determine whether a good interconnect from the RCA output would make any difference. While I’ve spent mucho dinero on various things to get better results from my system (e.g., $1,100 for a pair of mScaler ==> TT2 BNC interconnects), I don’t like to waste money on things which make no difference.

I’m not asking if ‘good’ interconnects will provide an improvement over the cable Viewsonic threw in with my monitor — I’m already there. Just want to know if connecting to the RCA output is better/different than connecting to the 3.5mm out using comparable quality cables.