IGNORED

What software for headless mac mini

Using iphone as control. 

tried Audirvana studio.  Ugh the app is dreadful.  No support at the forum either.  

tried hqplayer.  Better app but its not great 

coming from windows using hysolid and that app is pretty perfect.

main gripes are that both audirvana and hqplayer have features i could careless about.  No tidal or qboz or radio here.  Just files locally.  No playlists or ques.  Ugh.  If I click on an album the whole thing should start playing.  If i want to random and repeat all the songs of an artist it should do that easily.  

what program should I try next that will have a good app and still sound great on my flac files.  No hires either 

Tried v4 of the hq player remote.  Its better than audirvana but still not exactly what i had before.  

jriver i can try but in the past i thought it was just bloatware ao that is way down on the list. 

i really thought going mac would by default mean better control from an iphone.  

thanks 

@Dawnrazor you could try Logitech Media Server (LMS)

https://mysqueezebox.com/download?langoverride=EN

You have Qobuz and Tidal access, Internet Radio from TuneIn, plugin app for Radio Paradise and other “special” radios and, of course, local files library manager.

If you don’t like the “standard” web page you could try the MaterialSkin plugin or the iPeng app (more or less $10 from Apple App Store ) to be installed on iPad or iPhone 

Stefano

My audio system

Stefano, LMS installed on its own on the Mac mini doesn't play anything, unless you are implying the OP should also enable LMS's localplayer plugin (to provide Squeezelite).

Is that what you are proposing or some other method of getting a Squeezelite player or similar installed on the Mac mini (configuration details would also be useful) for headless network player operation? 

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

How about VOX or VLC ?

You need a local player that can be remotely controlled by an iPhone. I guess search for Mac players, and then check if it can be remote controlled. Unless you like to use a Remote Desktop option. 

You have already turned down the most popular options. (and I assume Roon as well). 

Apple Music isn’t an option as no flac or remote control. I think you could remotely control iTunes before by iPhone. iTunes is now Apple Music. Hope I got that correct. 

Isn't the OP's requirement for some software to make the Mac mini itself the headless network player? Not sure what some other network device such as a Raspberry Pi (with either the ROPieee XL or the PiCorePlayer distro) as the network player has to do with that.

I thought you would have some experience/recommendations configuring Squeezelite to run on Macs, given the subject of this thread and that you originally recommended installing LMS, (the native media server for Squeezebox players like Squeezelite) on the Mac mini.

Unfortunately, I have no experience of installing & configuring Squeezelite (or even LMS) on a Mac - so cannot help.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

My personal issue is I don't have/use Macs.

I have tried often enough on Windows & Linux machines. For example, the Windows version of LMS installs a very old version of Squeezelite built for Windows when you enable the localplayer LMS plugin, so requires a manual install of the latest version SqueezeliteWin to replace the one provided by the localplayer plugin. Also the configuration of the localplayer plugin to select the audio output device, exclusive mode, etc, can be a bit temperamental. So not quite so straight forward.

No idea if any of this applies to Macs!

-- Jo Cox

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

How about VOX or VLC ?

You need a local player that can be remotely controlled by an iPhone. I guess search for Mac players, and then check if it can be remote controlled. Unless you like to use a Remote Desktop option. 

You have already turned down the most popular options. (and I assume Roon as well). 

Apple Music isn’t an option as no flac or remote control. I think you could remotely control iTunes before by iPhone. iTunes is now Apple Music. Hope I got that correct. 

I can try those.  Thanks for mentioning.  The remote desktop might be best.  

yep. Roon is not anything I would pay for or even use.  

7 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Ok. Pretty sure Amarra luxe is the winner

remote is not perfect but its better than the others and man the sound is so much cleaner and more 3d 

I've been an Amarra user for years because of the sound quality and despite the app's limitations. Occasional hassles and inconveniences I can manage, but 2nd rate sound I can't.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 10:51 PM, GregWormald said:

I've been an Amarra user for years because of the sound quality and despite the app's limitations. Occasional hassles and inconveniences I can manage, but 2nd rate sound I can't.

I bought Amarra.  Agree on the sound quality it just sounds better than the others I tried on the mac 

12 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I bought Amarra.  Agree on the sound quality it just sounds better than the others I tried on the mac 

I was an Amarra user on the mac mini for many years, and paid a lot of money for new versions, upgrades and extra bells and whistles. Eventually gave it up. The sound was good, but the usability was minimal, and there were difficulties with playing various files and formats. Customer support was so-so. In those years I used the most expensive version, what sonicstudio offers today have no idea and no desire to try. 

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

I was an Amarra user on the mac mini for many years, and paid a lot of money for new versions, upgrades and extra bells and whistles. Eventually gave it up. The sound was good, but the usability was minimal, and there were difficulties with playing various files and formats. Customer support was so-so. In those years I used the most expensive version, what sonicstudio offers today have no idea and no desire to try. 

Downloaded the Amarra Luxe trial and listen to it now. All in all, not bad at all. Slight glitches in the interface, but it's Amarra, can't be without. Sounds as good as before. All my files are adding and playing without any problems so far. I haven't tried the integration with Qobuz yet. I've been using Amarra Symphony, with or without iRC module for about five years or more previously, before quitting in mid tens.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Moosbrugger said:

Why not just Music and the Apple remote on your phone? That's what I use.

First off I think its just a rebranded itunes.  Could be wrong on that.  2. Music is in flac so betting apple doesnt handle that.  3. Guessing it wont see my Dante driver. 4. Betting it has some silly processing that messes the sound.   5. Probably spams me with new things it thinks I like.