IGNORED

Thought Provoking Article: "The coming implosion of the record business…"

Cormorant

Here's another one. Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section. Recorded on January 19, 1957 and originally published by Contemporary Records: https://www.discogs.com/Art-Pepper-Meets-The-Rhythm-Section/master/221127

When you look for it on Qobuz, you get 14 different versions!

Capture.thumb.JPG.dfd62e7800f40b33b4088f2a798d1474.JPG

None of them show the recording date or location. Some of them contain the composer credits, but not all of them. Only two releases contain the  musician credits (though not the instruments played):

- Music Manager (the one with the blue pepper) 

- Original Jazz Sound (the last one with the ugliest cover, and terrible sound 

I doubt too many people are going to be listening to those versions, or purchasing them from Qobuz.

The recording quality of this album was very good, it would be a shame to listen to a crappy remaster.

Capture3.JPG.48e93e06590c8308633ace3d0d2b0057.JPG

Here the composer is simply "Porter" ! The main artist on the first track is Paul Chambers, for some unknown reason.

Capture2.JPG.7368cbd0d454fc14ae5f11bafad4f92e.JPG

On a side note, the BNF version is the only one in Mono, which is too bad, as this album was mixed with excessive stereo: on the first track, for example, the piano is on one side, and the sax on the other. The BNF version, by the way, it is the only one in "hi resolution" on Qobuz but is probably a Vinyl rip (I did not listen to it on my stereo to check). There is actually a very good mono edition on CD, but it is not available on Qobuz: https://www.discogs.com/Art-Pepper-Meets-The-Rhythm-Section/release/9968614

It is worth getting if you like this album and are annoyed by the stereo mix - two are on sale on Discogs but the prices are high...

Slightly off topic, but I would be curious to know how the "Intuition" album is displayed in Roon. On AllMusic, the credits are defined for the album as a whole. There is a, good chance that Roon gets its metadata from Tivo (AllMusic parent company), especially since Musicbrainz does not have credits for this album:

https://musicbrainz.org/release/f983bfa8-4bda-4476-8d33-439dc542d34e

Do the credits in Roon correctly distinguish between the Tristano and Marsh sessions?  Could someone using Roon look for this album and let me know? 

1 hour ago, DuckToller said:

Thanks. It looks like the composers are correctly identified track by track, but that the performers are not. Lennie Tristano plays piano on all tracks. This is a bit "off topic", but it is worth noting the paradox - Roon chooses not to get the data from the streaming service (Qobuz) and obtains it from Tivo (what is displayed in AllMusic), but AllMusic gets it wrong (as the credits are at the "album" level, not the track level), and Qobuz may get it right. Roon's approach is perfectly understandable, given that for some albums there are many releases - as we saw with the ArtPepper album. 

Metadata is complicated !

I was particularly struck by the quotation from the article:

Here are the three economies: 1) The kingdom of the major label. In this realm, the streaming rules we are currently playing by will rule. 2) Purgatory. 3) The rebellion My point of view is the laws of the market of unification and conglomeration! Albeit with its drawbacks, this is the nature of the markets! And there is nothing wrong with that!

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking outside the box a bit, why can't an artist rent studio time, make their own recordings and manage them? 

Hell, once the master recording is done and edited, they can just burn their own CDs at home or make protected high-quality MP3s or lossless digital recordings or something.

It may involve them learning a bit about mixing and producing or split profits with the studio that did that work. It just seems like an existing business model has run its course. Might be time for a new one, or to go back to an old one. How about only making records? or records and protected CDs?

On 10/2/2021 at 11:33 AM, DuckToller said:

Reading that is a bit depressing.  It's like nothing has changed from the "old" days where the big labels take advantage of up and coming artists who end up signing their rights away and the labels get massively rich.  Now that's sort of a generalization, but you get the gist. 

Streaming is hyped and its in everything we do and yet unless you are the one per-center's getting billions of streams you still cannot make a living due to the shitty payment distribution.  It almost seems like the Drake's and Taylor's and those of that ilk, should drop the labels and do their own thing (many prob do at this point).  No need to get labels richer if this new system isn't fair to the artist creators?

The reality is, artists nowadays don't need labels and can do much of it on their own.  Again, not all labels are greedy and out to screw the artists, but the present technology available provides an option for many artists to avoid the potential pitfalls of the old ways.

My rig

• 2 weeks later...