IGNORED

Thought Provoking Article: "The coming implosion of the record business…"

Cormorant

10 minutes ago, hopkins said:

The fact that it's easier to put out stuff means there's a lot more "crap" out there, but hopefully also some things of value. 

Yes, agree. However, with less filtering of what's "good" and what's "crap", it could also make it tough to allow good artists to be recognized. Imagine how many person-hours it would take to sift through 60,000+ albums a week! Literally looking for needles in haystacks. With work, family life, enjoying other entertainment, I doubt I would be able to fairly sample 60,000 albums in a lifetime, much less the idea that this volume comes out weekly.

Even worse if there's actually a brilliant song or two that deserves to be heard in what's otherwise an OK album easily dismissed.

Oversaturation.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

On 9/25/2021 at 2:03 PM, NOMBEDES said:

Are we missing the point that many of these 100000 "music albums" are computer generated and are not actually human produced music?  I would hope that there would be some humans involved beyond pushing a button on a random discarded bit coin mining computer.

Would love to see if there's a study on just how many albums of this nature. Could actually be an interesting project to say grab at random 200 of the albums released last week and count the number from totally unknown artists or appear to be algorithmically generated "music".

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.