IGNORED

Thought Provoking Article: "The coming implosion of the record business…"

Cormorant

Fake news, fake social media information, virus disinformation, Russian trolls, trolls in general, climate change deniers, Party over country (big lie etc), CHICOM hackers, and now fake music.  

As my drill Sgt used to say...WTF over.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

19 hours ago, Archimago said:

Wow, this part of the article really stuck out to me:

From a supply-demand perspective, isn't this simply also an excess of supply? I mean, how many of those 60-100 thousand albums/week is actually "needed" or of "value" in this world? We're oversaturated with entertainment media these days between movies, TV shows, music, video games, YouTube, social media, etc... Vast majority of those albums obviously will not make much (if any) money!

Nonetheless, clearly, there are many things unfair about the streaming model nicely highlighted in the article.

With modern technology, recording, producing, editing audio these days isn't difficult and there's a lot of talent around to compete for a set number of $$$ the public is willing to spend!

Are we missing the point that many of these 100000 "music albums" are computer generated and are not actually human produced music?  I would hope that there would be some humans involved beyond pushing a button on a random discarded bit coin mining computer.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law