IGNORED

Faster NAS backup?

I should backup my NAS more often but I don't because its slow for that, a DS214Play. Right now I'm doing a full backup because I need to

grow capacity and didn't realize SHR would force me to do a mirror drive when I added a 2nd drive. There is about 3.5 TB on the drive

and at the rate its going, looks like it will take about 24 hours to complete, probably a like time to restore after I've deleted the SHR volume and then

created a RAID 0 with the 2nd disk added. My current backup solution is eSata connected external drive.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at to allow faster backup/restore in the future? New size will be about 10TB and I find it hard to believe I could outgrow 20TB

future space needs in any 4-6 bay replacement NAS

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Started a direct file transfer of the 3.5TB of music between NAS and PC drive, its' about 29% done after 2.5 hours with estimated completion in 7.5 hours.

Have been puzzling over a local backup strategy ever since I started doing PGGB conversions to 768/24 and estimated that my 700GB library would mushroom to about 8TB. So thinking that

1. Scheduled Hyperbackup makes sense for the ~300GB of app, photos and configuration data to local attached drive

2. Network transfer with a synch schedule to a large PC drive/RAID would cover the music/video backup speed needs for the 4-9TB  of media.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system