IGNORED

Apple Music Lossless + Apple TV 4K + Airplay + Airport Express (version 1)

Thanks again for all the tests done but I still have a doubt regarding Apple TV.

According to my information, via Airplay version 1 any audio format is converted to ALAC 16 / 44.1 by the sending device before being sent to the receiving device.
Also based on my information, the Apple TV 4K has a fixed audio output at 16/48.

Apple Music sends in ALAC format up to 24/48 if lossless audio quality is selected on Apple TV 4K.

To listen to Apple Music on my Apple TV 4K I don't use the HDMI audio output but I use Airplay version 1 + Airport Express version 1.

I also use Apple Music + Phone X + Airplay 1 + Airport Express 1 (bitperfect at 16 / 44.1 according to the tests done here) but I prefer to use Apple TV to not drain the battery of the iPhone.

[[I use iPhone to control Apple TV remotely with the Music app (it is a pity that through the iPhone Music app it is not possible to select Airplay 1 devices available for Apple TV .. it is not even possible to select an Airplay 1 device as default audio output but only HomePod = Airplay 2 .. every time you need to turn on the TV and use the Apple TV control center to select an Airplay device 1)]]

My question is:

What happens when I receive a lossless 16.44.1 format from Apple Music on my Apple TV 4K which I then send via Airplay 1 to my Airport Express 1?

Airport Express 1 receives from Apple TV 4K lossless bitperfect ALAC 16 / 44.1?

Apple Music on tvOS, is it bitperfect like iOS at 16 / 44.1 using Airplay 1?

I forgot to say one thing. Airport Express 1 is connected to my Naim UnitiQute 1 via digital input and the Naim app confirms to receive 44.1.

Since Apple Music Lossless is 48 KHz sample rate, one of the devices in the chain will convert the sample rate from 48k to 44.1k for the Airport Express 1.  Therefore it no longer will be lossless.  Of greater concern is that none of the devices in the chain is as powerful as a computer, so they probably will not have the CPU power to do a high quality sample rate conversion, in which case the final output will have some distortion.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7