Article: Streaming & Local Content Through HQPlayer - A Nice Alternative With The sonicTransporter

As long as we are discussing UPnP, I don't know how others feel about this, but I would love to use JRiver as my control application and library manager because I find it much more flexible than the HQPlayer client.  (I am aware there is an experimental workaround that is supposed to allow this but I never got anything to play even after following directions explicitly.)   Frankly, while it is fashionable to bash JRiver, if it sounded as good as HQPlayer does on most material and had better DSP streaming skills, I wouldn't need anything else.

It doesn't sound as though UPnP integration is something we can expect from HQPlayer, but, if it were to be implemented and work reliably, I would upgrade from Desktop Embedded to have access to it.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > Audirvana Studio / JRiver Media Server > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > EtherRegen > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Tier 2 > Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC > Wyred4Sound STI-500 > Revel F32 Concertas

Basement:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 >  Audirvana Studio / JRiver Media Server > Xfinity xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > TrendNet FMC > Sonore OpticalModule > UltraRendu > NuPrime IDA-8 > KEF LS50's

6 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

As long as we are discussing UPnP, I don't know how others feel about this, but I would love to use JRiver as my control application and library manager because I find it much more flexible than the HQPlayer client.  (I am aware there is an experimental workaround that is supposed to allow this but I never got anything to play even after following directions explicitly.)   Frankly, while it is fashionable to bash JRiver, if it sounded as good as HQPlayer does on most material and had better DSP streaming skills, I wouldn't need anything else.

It doesn't sound as though UPnP integration is something we can expect from HQPlayer, but, if it were to be implemented and work reliably, I would upgrade from Desktop Embedded to have access to it.

I tested using JRiver with HQP embedded. It works, but has the same issues as the other UPnP servers/control points when it comes to gapless. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

The foobar2000 player should work with gapless playback support handled by its playback engine and the resulting continuous audio stream output sent via UPnP to HQPe's Rygel UPnP renderer. So similar to how Roon likely sorts out gapless for its (continuous) audio output to HQPlayer, though of course UPnP isn't used there.

The Windows version of fb2k requires you install the foo_out_upnp plugin component to provide the UPnP output support (note: not the similarly named older foo_upnp plugin); the Mac version of fb2k, which doesn't currently support plugins, apparently has UPnP output support built-in (can't test as I don't use Macs) with the feature maintained inline with the foo_out_upnp plugin for the Windows version.

Output to the selected UPnP renderer is supposed to be bit perfect but LPCM only and you have a choice of it being sent either as raw LPCM or encoded in FLAC or WAV (presumably the same is true for the Mac version).

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I tested using JRiver with HQP embedded. It works, but has the same issues as the other UPnP servers/control points when it comes to gapless. 

Is gapless the only issue?  If so, that might not be a deal breaker. Does HQPe just find the server on JRiver? (I still will need JRiver for mp3's in any event.)

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > Audirvana Studio / JRiver Media Server > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > EtherRegen > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Tier 2 > Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC > Wyred4Sound STI-500 > Revel F32 Concertas

Basement:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 >  Audirvana Studio / JRiver Media Server > Xfinity xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > TrendNet FMC > Sonore OpticalModule > UltraRendu > NuPrime IDA-8 > KEF LS50's

5 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Is gapless the only issue?  If so, that might not be a deal breaker. Does HQPe just find the server on JRiver? (I still will need JRiver for mp3's in any event.)

Not knowing exactly how you use JRiver I can’t be sure if you’ll run into issues. 

JRiver sees HQPe and can send to it just like it does other UPnP renderers. 

I’d say test the trial of HQPe. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Not knowing exactly how you use JRiver I can’t be sure if you’ll run into issues. 

JRiver sees HQPe and can send to it just like it does other UPnP renderers. 

I’d say test the trial of HQPe. 

Pardon the newbie dumbass question, but before I head down this path: can I operate HQPe from a thumb drive alone or must I install it to a hard drive on a Linux computer?  (If the latter, I am reluctant to delete my existing Windows installation.  Even when I have a complete image of my Windows discs, I seemingly always have to reinstall OS and apps from scratch and data from backup if I decide to go back to Windows after trying something else.)

13 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

can I operate HQPe from a thumb drive

Yes you can.

Go to this page https://www.signalyst.com/embedded-install.html?

and follow the link in the chapter Downloading and configuring bootable image

select the compatible image for your hw and burn it on a usb thumb drive

… it should be this one https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/images/hqplayer-embedded-4.26.0-x64amd.7z

connect it to your pc and boot from it … done

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, stefano_mbp said:

Yes you can.

Go to this page https://www.signalyst.com/embedded-install.html?

and follow the link in the chapter Downloading and configuring bootable image

select the compatible image for your hw and burn it on a usb thumb drive

… it should be this one https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/images/hqplayer-embedded-4.26.0-x64amd.7z

connect it to your pc and boot from it … done

Thank you, Stefano.