Jump to content

Article: Streaming & Local Content Through HQPlayer - A Nice Alternative With The sonicTransporter


Recommended Posts

Hello Chris, 

 

you are using MinimServer, but is it possible to use JPlay Femto instead to stream to HQPlayer Embedded? So JPlay Femto and the control point application JPLAY for iOS from the same company. Streaming from Qobuz and Tidal and playing local content. Or am I overlooking something?

 

Robert

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rovo said:

Hello Chris, 

 

you are using MinimServer, but is it possible to use JPlay Femto instead to stream to HQPlayer Embedded? So JPlay Femto and the control point application JPLAY for iOS from the same company. Streaming from Qobuz and Tidal and playing local content. Or am I overlooking something?

 

Robert

 

Hi Robert, that certainly is another great way to do this. I haven’t tried it yet because Femto is Windows only and that would require an additional PC in this setup. I will try it though. I have plenty of PCs :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Update Daphile for the ZeroTier vulnerability. 

 

 

My Daphile is behind 2 firewalls, one on my router another is a updated linux box. I never stream my music when away from home.

 

I am very particular that way.

 

I will look into it.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, bibo01 said:

Thanks.

I hope @stefano_mbp intervenes in this discussion because he also had a lot of experience in Embedded/MinimServer/gapless, contacting both developers about it and son on...

 

Hopefully it would be more friendly, never mind more informative, than one of their last 'discussions' on the subject:

 

Unless things have changed since @Miska mentioned anything to me on the subject (~ 3 years ago), HQPe implements its own gapless support method for UPnP by sending the notice of the end of current track playing to the UPnP control point about one second before it actually happens:

 

Bear in mind, this is the UPnP mode of operation that doesn't support gapless playback as far as UPnP is concerned, since if the timing of the end of current track playing notification wasn't 'faked' by HQPe, there would be no time to implement gapless playback. HQPe is relying on that ~1s to be enough time for both the UPnP control point (on receiving the end of current track playing notification) to tell HQPe where to fetch the next track from and for at least some of the next track's data to arrive at HQPe following the subsequent request for that next track by HQPe to the UPnP media server. It appears that the MinimServer UPnP media server isn't quick enough. 

 

 

BTW, @bibo01, wasn't it you that mentioned that you were able to get HQPe to play gapless with LMS via the UPnP/DLNA Bridge LMS plugin?

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

 

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Chris, 

 

plenty of PC's, hmmm sounds familiar 😀

 

IMG_20210922_161155.thumb.jpg.a5e7e12ecee49c5ea92fe05852fb58c4.jpg

 

I would definitely be interested to know if a setup with JPlay Femto and JPlay for iOS (streaming to HQPlayer Embedded!) replacing Roon will give a better sound quality. Perhaps Marcin can comment. JPlay for iOS is not yet available otherwise I could do the testing myself (enough PC's). 

 

Robert

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Cebolla said:

The iPeng app is supposed to be the go to controller for LMS on iOS - no idea if the Music & Artist Information LMS plugin works with it though, as I only have Android handheld devices.

 

Fortunately, for those of us using Android, the Material Skin plugin's developer has also provided a webview wrapper app for a seamless web browser controller:

https://github.com/CDrummond/lms-material-app/releases

 

 

I like iPeng on my iPad Pro (1st Gen) much more than any LMS app on my Pixel 2 XL.  I have since switched to iPhone.  Orangesqueeze was ok but always slower to connect than iPeng. 

 

 (Something in my system changed and Android control stopped working and the USB out of my Touch stopped working.  Spent a couple of hours resetting and no go.  Currently i have connected the Touch analog outs to my amp...need to check and see if the coax is working.  I do note that the developer of QLMS has not updated in almost 18 months.)

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear R7800 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBT->iFi xDSD->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: Squeeze Commander (DroidX) & iPeng (iPad Air); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: Sony NWZ_ZX1 & ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  Wish List: New DAC,  SBT replacement; Dream system: Linn EXACT or ATC Active or Big Tubes (KR or Nagra or Shindo or ...)

 

My goal is to use appliances and take home PC out of the chain...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jcbenten said:

I like iPeng on my iPad Pro (1st Gen) much more than any LMS app on my Pixel 2 XL.  I have since switched to iPhone.  Orangesqueeze was ok but always slower to connect than iPeng.

 

Have you also tried the lms_material_app I linked to (& therefore the web browser controller UI provided by the Material Skin 3rd Party LMS plugin) on your Android phone?

 

 

1 hour ago, jcbenten said:

(Something in my system changed and Android control stopped working and the USB out of my Touch stopped working.  Spent a couple of hours resetting and no go.  Currently i have connected the Touch analog outs to my amp...need to check and see if the coax is working.  I do note that the developer of QLMS has not updated in almost 18 months.)

 

QLMS may not need updating if it's still able to install/update the QNAP with the latest official release of LMS. Having said that its developer did recently mention looking at rejigging the way QLMS updates the QNAP with LMS, regarding the nightly development, the nightly stable & the latest official release versions (currently 8.3.0, 8.2.1 and 8.2.0 respectively) - QLMS appears to be updating the QNAP with the (potentially) unstable nightly development version of LMS by default:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?108702-QLogitechMediaServer-for-Qnap-with-QTS-4-2-or-higher-and-x86_64-I686-X86-support-!&p=1031761&viewfull=1#post1031761

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

 

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

 

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Cebolla said:

It appears that the MinimServer UPnP media server isn't quick enough. 

 

Another thing to note is that when HQPlayer makes GET request to the UPnP server, it fetches about 10 seconds worth of audio to pre-buffer. This should fit well within one second time window with current 1, 2.5 or 10 Gbps networks.

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It isn’t released yet. 

How a great sofeware it is, I really wish it can be released as soon as possible. It's going to solve my problem that I don't want to use roon due to it's too complex from one or two endpoint system. But I love the roon's metadate about music stuff like CD coverage, Singer, etc. So do you know when do the Jplay ios app will be release. Thank u very much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, Rovo said:

Hello Chris, 

 

plenty of PC's, hmmm sounds familiar 😀

 

IMG_20210922_161155.thumb.jpg.a5e7e12ecee49c5ea92fe05852fb58c4.jpg

 

I would definitely be interested to know if a setup with JPlay Femto and JPlay for iOS (streaming to HQPlayer Embedded!) replacing Roon will give a better sound quality. Perhaps Marcin can comment. JPlay for iOS is not yet available otherwise I could do the testing myself (enough PC's). 

 

Robert

 

I will copy&paste reply I wrote on jplay forum:

 

JPLAY iOS app will work with JPLAY FEMTO or HQplayer Embedded which also can act as UPnP renderer.

 

The app won't work with Roon even with hqplayer on top

 

Best regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First an apology for the following incomplete information, but I'm going by memory

 

I tried HQPlayer at one point embedded in Euphony.

 

  1. it did not have all of the features of the desktop version. I believe it did not support convolution, but again, going from memory so not 100% on that
  2. it required paying for another license. It was not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, but at least at that point your desktop license would not enable an embedded version

 

 

 

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bbosler said:

First an apology for the following incomplete information, but I'm going by memory

 

I tried HQPlayer at one point embedded in Euphony.

 

  1. it did not have all of the features of the desktop version. I believe it did not support convolution, but again, going from memory so not 100% on that
  2. it required paying for another license. It was not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, but at least at that point your desktop license would not enable an embedded version

 

 

Embedded on Euphony supports convolution. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Embedded on Euphony supports convolution. 

 

OK, then that's an update since I tried it last February. At that time you could set Euphony as an HQP NAA endpoint and use the desktop version of HQP to get full function, but the embedded version did not support convolution which Jussi confirmed at that time when I asked about convolution"You should be using HQPlayer's web interface, not Euphony's limited subset..."

 

Good to know for the Euphony/HQP users

 

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...