IGNORED

Introducing the Sonore Digital HDCD Decoder

HDCD.png.8154b7c9b2e2a2d76e69befbd2c4878a.png

This is one of my recent skunkworks projects. The goals were to play HDCD decoded content my regular DAC, reduce the input jitter of noisy sources, up sample the input signal, deemphasis flag detection, and use the unit for bit perfect checks. FYI HDCD technology appears to be owned and copyright by Microsoft. This device uses new/old HDCD integrated circuits.

Features

1. On board HDCD decoding

2. Input bit rates / sample rates - 16 bit or 24 bit @ 44.1 kHz, 16 bit or 24 bit @ 48 kHz

3. Output bit rate / sample rate - 16 bit or 24 bit (default) @ 176.4 kHz

4. It's RMS jitter is +/-190 ps 

5. 6-9 VDC input

6. LEDs for HDCD signal, input sample rate, deemphasis flag detection, and signal lock

7. Uses the same enclosure as the Rendu series

8. The HDCD integrated circuit is in a socket

If this project interests you please email me at [email protected] with the subject line HDCD

Kal, some guy reverse engineered the decoder and released the code that is in most servers and rippers. It's generally understood that the code is not complete. This is an actual HDCD integrated circuit performing the decoding.       

Really nice to see BNC connections being used here. It's a shame that impedance-matching isn't considered more carefully than it is by many manufacturers.

If you were using a PDM200, I'd buy your decoder immediately.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Mani, the design is base on the PDM100. Looking at the PDM200 data sheet it does not seem to really offer much more. I read that it supports 24 bit / 192 kHz HDCD decoding, but most people will not have this format. I also did a quick search and did not find samples of the IC for sale. Did you make hi-resolution HDCD content when you had your pacific Microsonics unit?  

Anyway, we are buds and I'm happy to put you on the list for a free sample?

Hi Jesus, well, that's very kind of you. Yes, please put me on your list for a free sample, I'd love to have a play with it.

Just PM me and let me know what you need me to do.

Cheers,
Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

On 9/18/2021 at 2:35 PM, vortecjr said:

Kal, some guy reverse engineered the decoder and released the code that is in most servers and rippers. It's generally understood that the code is not complete. This is an actual HDCD integrated circuit performing the decoding.       

Yes this is absolutely correct. Its one of the reasons I still hang on to a Linn HDCD player with the Pacific Microsonics HDCD chipset . dbPoweramp HDCD decoding is a nice attempt but doesn't do full justice to the Reference Recording HDCD's

Would love to try this as I still buy RR HDCD's, email sent.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

31 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Yes this is absolutely correct. Its one of the reasons I still hang on to a Linn HDCD player with the Pacific Microsonics HDCD chipset . dbPoweramp HDCD decoding is a nice attempt but doesn't do full justice to the Reference Recording HDCD's

Would love to try this as I still buy RR HDCD's, email sent.

RR advised that they use the HDCD flag (so the light lights up) on our HRx discs- but no HDCD decoding is possible in high resolution files. The files on HRx discs are WAV files, at 176.4 kHz/ 24 bits. They use the HDCD flag as a test that the files were copied properly.

15 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Musing how this device works, sounds like you basically need a non HDCD disc player with SPDIF out or a  USB to SPDIF DDC  as input device?

That is correct. Any source that does not decode HDCD content and can pay it bit perfect will work. 

56 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

RR advised that they use the HDCD flag (so the light lights up) on our HRx discs- but no HDCD decoding is possible in high resolution files. The files on HRx discs are WAV files, at 176.4 kHz/ 24 bits. They use the HDCD flag as a test that the files were copied properly.

Ahh.

I don't buy HRx,  only CD rate HDCD's, dual media SACD's or CD rate downloads for HDCD pressings.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Chris, this is one part fun and one part research. We are going to make a handful of these for now with some boneyard enclosures and custom front/rear panels. We are buds and you are on the short list for a sample. The custom panels are on route and we have to make more boards. I have not pulled the trigger on the boards yet waiting for another product run ahead of it. 

20 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Chris, this is one part fun and one part research. We are going to make a handful of these for now with some boneyard enclosures and custom front/rear panels. We are buds and you are on the short list for a sample. The custom panels are on route and we have to make more boards. I have not pulled the trigger on the boards yet waiting for another product run ahead of it. 

Yes!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• vortecjr changed the title to Introducing the Sonore Digital HDCD Decoder
  • vortecjr featured this topic